Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I miss MTV and VH1

Always showing music videos...guess youtube replaces it kinda.

Agreed, but man it's been a long time since mtv was about anything other than their horrendous reality shit. The fact that another channel hasn't filled the void kinda tells us why though - there just isn't enough demand
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Agreed, but man it's been a long time since mtv was about anything other than their horrendous reality shit. The fact that another channel hasn't filled the void kinda tells us why though - there just isn't enough demand
    Same. When was the last time the Discovery Channel had animal shows or exploration shows or nature shows instead of how to build cars and remodel and flip houses?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The corporate thinking is that youtube provides informative shows for free. Therefore, the only way for a cable channel to survive is to offer pundits who make loud opinions on hot button issues. Create a controversy to draw eyeballs with in-your-face edgy programming. Happened to ESPN years ago. Basically, TV and cable are dying.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    This thread is about 20 years too late....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The corporate thinking is that youtube provides informative shows for free. Therefore, the only way for a cable channel to survive is to offer pundits who make loud opinions on hot button issues. Create a controversy to draw eyeballs with in-your-face edgy programming. Happened to ESPN years ago. Basically, TV and cable are dying.
    MTV stopped playing videos long before youtube was a thing.

My only memories of MTV are my older sister listening and singing along to Backstreet Boyz and Spice Girls like it was cool. The kind of music videos MTV played were horse shit and there's good reason they stopped playing it. It would be akin to playing Taylor Swift videos today. It was horse shit then and would be horse shit now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    When did VH1 stop? I opted out of it on my cable package 2-3 years ago, and it was still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    MTV stopped playing videos long before youtube was a thing.
    What is it now then?
    I not music videos, what is their existance?

Haven't watched MTV this millenium, LITERALLY, so I have no idea, what they would replace it with.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    When did VH1 stop? I opted out of it on my cable package 2-3 years ago, and it was still there.
    What is it now then?
    I not music videos, what is their existance?

Haven't watched MTV this millenium, LITERALLY, so I have no idea, what they would replace it with.
    MTV is largely crappy reality tv now.

10+ Year Old Account
    MTV and VH1 have been falling for so long that theres people who wish the channels would return to a previous generation of crappy reality TV shows.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

MuchMusic sold most of its music content to Stingray. Stingray seems to actually have all music channels for your TV. Not that I have a TV or am willing to verify this with actual money.

Nevertheless, this leaves me with a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart:
    https://loud.stingray.com/en

Almost like I can go back in time when I watched the Pepsi Power Hour religiously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    MTV and VH1 have been falling for so long that theres people who wish the channels would return to a previous generation of crappy reality TV shows.
    Pls no... These reality shows started been annoying when i saw one after another, and had nothing to do with music on MTV. I still loved watching Jackass first season there, or other stuff like... Idk if someone remember Sons Of Butcher? Celebrity Deathmatch? I also remember, for some time, MTV used to cast South Park.

MTV was good when it still had VJs who talked about the music they showed us. Introduced us to music. Interviewed artists. Get someone like Ray Cokes back on the air and I might watch MTV again.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    This thread is about 20 years too late....
    More like 10, they still had enough of an audience in the 00s, at least in the UK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    My only memories of MTV are my older sister listening and singing along to Backstreet Boyz and Spice Girls like it was cool. The kind of music videos MTV played were horse shit and there's good reason they stopped playing it. It would be akin to playing Taylor Swift videos today. It was horse shit then and would be horse shit now.
    I didn't get it either - youtube > MTV

Headbangers Ball 4 ever.

I remember staying up late to watch that show and it would be like Halford playing UFO videos and shit. Awesome.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-06-03 at 09:42 PM.

Or watching Beavis and Butthead and assorted weird cartoons on M-TV in the late 90's

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Headbangers Ball
    Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antbregante View Post
    MTV is largely crappy reality tv now.
    Sounds like 90% of all other channels..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    MTV always had problems. But nostalgia is a thing..

Most of the veejays were pretty meh. They lucked into a job of interviewing popular artists, but were vapid overall.

Martha Quinn was like the prototype for E Girls, but in the context of Reagan's America.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think MTV still has side channels dedicated to that. At least the bar I frequent always has it on and I'm 100% sure it isn't a youtube stream.