look it up-"in online gaming, the practice of buying in-game items that give a player a very big advantage over others"
    The in-game shop doesn't sell anyone anything that gives them advantages like gear and special items/enchants that you have to buy and can't earn, and even if that was the case if players can earn it via game-play it doesn't count as a pay-to-win game. Paying $60 for a boosted level 50 in crap gear isn't an advantage. Buying WoW tokens that other players buy from you with real gold for game-time isn't an advantage over people in the game. People who raid on multiple alts get a lot more gold than I do when I play, can I say that not earning as much gold in PvP as one does in mythic is an unfair advantage to me? If you can't use real money to buy items in the game that knock you up a few pegs each time you make a purchase then you can't say that the game is a pay-to-win game. Lord of the rings online is a pay to win game. Games that have an in-game shop don't automatically become pay to win. It's just facts.

Quote Originally Posted by HCLM View Post
    Not sure who is bigger troll, OP or people who answer here saying WoW is P2W.
    I buy gold for WoW tokens that I use to buy gear from raid boosts. It's P2W and I'm fine with it, I have more money left over than I have time

Cosmetics and mounts =/= gameplay advantage.
    So no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    A shortcut/catch up which you are not forced to use that should be available to everyone, not just those with more money than braincells. You say that its a harmless catch up and then say people should be discouraged from using it - why is that? If you need to control it, you use a cool down - then its controlled properly rather than being limiting it to someone’s wealth/IQ. In addition by making it free you destroy 3rd party boosters, why pay for something you can get for free by waiting?

You logic is completely flawed.
    Their logic might be flawed, but at least they didn't have to resort to immature insults because they can't come up with a legitimate argument.

Quote Originally Posted by NotGeorgia View Post
    look it up-"in online gaming, the practice of buying in-game items that give a player a very big advantage over others"
    The in-game shop doesn't sell anyone anything that gives them advantages like gear and special items/enchants that you have to buy and can't earn, and even if that was the case if players can earn it via game-play it doesn't count as a pay-to-win game. Paying $60 for a boosted level 50 in crap gear isn't an advantage. Buying WoW tokens that other players buy from you with real gold for game-time isn't an advantage over people in the game. People who raid on multiple alts get a lot more gold than I do when I play, can I say that not earning as much gold in PvP as one does in mythic is an unfair advantage to me? If you can't use real money to buy items in the game that knock you up a few pegs each time you make a purchase then you can't say that the game is a pay-to-win game. Lord of the rings online is a pay to win game. Games that have an in-game shop don't automatically become pay to win. It's just facts.
    WRONG.

Many mobile games that are pay to win don't sell or facilitate the selling of actual items of power. The sell or facilitate the sale of currency. Like gold in wow.

The currency is then used to do whatever the player wants. I.e. buy boosts or chests that may or may not contain items of power. Like buying a carry in a mythic raid in wow.

Said items of currency are almost always available in these P2W mobile games, just at a reduced rate. Like gold in wow.

If you are skilled enough you can compete at the highest levels in these games, it takes more effort and dedication and skill than what the majority of the playerbase has but it is possible. Like clearing mythic raids in wow.

The fact that you brought up the level boost in wow and claimed it is not P2W is laughable. It is one of the very cornerstones of P2W games. Paying real money to automatically skip time is a perfect example of P2W. In a mobile game you can skip the time it takes to open up the loot chests that you get for winning things. This costs currency and it's easier to buy the currency from the game. This is P2W. Just like wow.

It's like you were bored. Found a topic that rustled your jimmies and decided to post without reading a single comment. Now we have to go through this all again for the next two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    WRONG.

Many mobile games that are pay to win don't sell or facilitate the selling of actual items of power. The sell or facilitate the sale of currency. Like gold in wow.

The currency is then used to do whatever the player wants. I.e. buy boosts or chests that may or may not contain items of power. Like buying a carry in a mythic raid in wow.

Said items of currency are almost always available in these P2W mobile games, just at a reduced rate. Like gold in wow.

If you are skilled enough you can compete at the highest levels in these games, it takes more effort and dedication and skill than what the majority of the playerbase has but it is possible. Like clearing mythic raids in wow.

The fact that you brought up the level boost in wow and claimed it is not P2W is laughable. It is one of the very cornerstones of P2W games. Paying real money to automatically skip time is a perfect example of P2W. In a mobile game you can skip the time it takes to open up the loot chests that you get for winning things. This costs currency and it's easier to buy the currency from the game. This is P2W. Just like wow.

It's like you were bored. Found a topic that rustled your jimmies and decided to post without reading a single comment. Now we have to go through this all again for the next two weeks.
    So you can buy a carry. So what? You still have to go through the raid, right? You can't just sit outside the entrance, logged in, while the group does all the work, right? So you still have to spend the same amount of time whether you're going through the raid the first time or if you're being carried through it. It's not like there's a button you press when you log in that delivers all the gold and loot you would get to your inbox, ready to use.

It's almost like you're so caught up in your narrative that you can't think logically and realize the truth.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    So you can buy a carry. So what? You still have to go through the raid, right? You can't just sit outside the entrance, logged in, while the group does all the work, right? So you still have to spend the same amount of time whether you're going through the raid the first time or if you're being carried through it. It's not like there's a button you press when you log in that delivers all the gold and loot you would get to your inbox, ready to use.

It's almost like you're so caught up in your narrative that you can't think logically and realize the truth.
    God I love this stuff "itz only P2W if you log in and the gear is mailed automatically to you!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    WRONG.

Except, with your example, the currency you buy for real money, is used to buy services from the game maker.

In WoW, you don't buy the currency, you buy an item that can be traded for game-time, you then receive currency from another player who would like some game-time or some Battle.net credit. From there, you then proceed to buy services from other players with the gold you've gotten from a previous player.

The only thing that can be seen as P2W directly, is the catch-up mechanic/boost.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If it only would be pay 2 win...

It's far worse, it is pay 2 get character progress in an rpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias1212 View Post
    If it only would be pay 2 win...

It's far worse, it is pay 2 get character progress in an rpg.
    Eh, no? Unless that is what you call subscriptions and expansions?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I would only consider it pay to win if you didn't need other players to clear the content first. You can't win by paying if you need others to finish the content before you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay 2 Advance, not Pay 2 Win I'd say.

Still awaiting items to be sold in game shop that are like some pre-raid entry gear. You know it's coming lol.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Still awaiting items to be sold in game shop that are like some pre-raid entry gear. You know it's coming lol.
    thats literally same thing in any competition. It means whoever you are equal to loses to you as soon as you pay.

This thread is still going? lol.
    Hi familiar names
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Except, with your example, the currency you buy for real money, is used to buy services from the game maker.

In WoW, you don't buy the currency, you buy an item that can be traded for game-time, you then receive currency from another player who would like some game-time or some Battle.net credit. From there, you then proceed to buy services from other players with the gold you've gotten from a previous player.

The only thing that can be seen as P2W directly, is the catch-up mechanic/boost.
    Or. Stay with me here. You pay for the currency in a sanctioned transaction by the developer. You pay real money for in-game currency. Where that in game currency comes from is irrelevant. Once you have that currency. That you pay money for. It is up to you to decide what to do with this currency.

Recap
    Step 1: Pay someone real money for in game currency.
    Step 2: ?
    Step 3: You have successfully participated in P2W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post

Exactly. You can literally get carried for free as well. Also the boosts are not something innately in game and honestly a lot of boosters deal in real money not gold which furthers the idea that you need to have some sort of outside influence. If you go buy "people boosting are in game" then every game can be p2w if it has any group play aspect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Recap
    Step 1: Pay someone real money for in game currency.
    Step 2: ?
    Step 3: You have successfully participated in P2W.
    Shouldn't a step 4 be included? If you don't include the win then it is simply a microtransaction.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Calling it pay to advance is just a method to avoid calling the game pay to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Eh, no? Unless that is what you call subscriptions and expansions?
    Touché lmao.

No, boosting has gotten so extremely convenient (i'd even say professional at this point) that you can buy a ton of character power via the WoW token.
    Being 2 instead of 1 step doesn't change that imo.

It is but it doesn't have to be.

It is in the sense that you can buy Gold from Blizzard, then use that gold to buy raid carries with all the loot you can use funnelled straight to you with no thought or effort from yourself.

It doesn't have to be in the sense that you can also do it the "normal" way and build your ilvl up through M+ and join a guild to progress with.

The people that say it's not because you don't just buy the gear outright are most likely the ones abusing tokens for carries who don't want to think of themselves as paying to win.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Shouldn't a step 4 be included? If you don't include the win then it is simply a microtransaction.
    I think step 4 is where they get their ass handed to them because despite having nice gear they are still garbage players with no skill. Pay to win indeed.