Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Many if not most of which use Amazon or its services in some capacity in their own operations despite not being Amazon themselves.

Whoops. Don't have to get embarrassed because you forgot what a practical monopoly is.
    Think he'd make the same arguments for Amazon as Tencent or Alibaba? Nope would expose the contradictions.

You said to use other places - what's your answer when all those places use Amazon or its services for their own operations?
    Back to nature, bruh. You start your own supply chain for everything, you farm your own crops, you make your own computer components, you solder your own boards, you forge your own steel.

The only thing stopping you is your own lazy ass, Elegiac. Stop being so lazy.

Better question for all the libertarians is why they aren't billionaires if anyone can do it.

Like, that's the implication. If people who aren't rich are incompetent or lazy then that also applies to the dudes still regurgitating shit they were spoonfed on Facebook during the Ron Paul era.
    You're talking about a guy who almost certainly makes far more money than you.

I'm not a billionaire, but I'm doing just fine. Then again, I haven't come up with a company/idea nearly as good as Amazon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Nobody, literally nobody is forcing you to use amazon.

Imagine getting caught admitting to supporting the thing you despise.
    Not liking Bezos' wealth extraction or the manner in which he runs Amazon is not the same thing as "despising Amazon".

You're attacking a straw man again. Amazon the company and Bezos the billionaire are not the same thing.

You said to use other places - what's your answer when all those places use Amazon or its services for their own operations?

Also, you're admitting that ethical consumption is a luxury for the rich.
    All those places don't use Amazon. That's your claim, and it's utter nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Back to nature, bruh. You start your own supply chain for everything, you farm your own crops, you make your own computer components, you solder your own boards, you forge your own steel.

The only thing stopping you is your own lazy ass, Elegiac. Stop being so lazy.
    Amazon isn't the only game in town. It's just the biggest, because people like you love to use it so damn much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not liking Bezos' wealth extraction or the manner in which he runs Amazon is not the same thing as "despising Amazon".

You're attacking a straw man again. Amazon the company and Bezos the billionaire are not the same thing.
    So, you love Amazon, great!!!

Well, Bezos is wealthy, because of Amazon. Almost all of his wealth is in Amazon stock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah yeah, you have 300 confirmed kills against Al Qaeda and all that. /s

I'm not a billionaire, but I'm doing just fine. Then again, I haven't come up with a company/idea nearly as good as Amazon.
    So you're admitting that anyone cannot in fact do it. Good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I thought you had crippling debt? https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53184044

Yeah yeah, you have 300 confirmed kills against Al Qaeda and all that. /s

So you're admitting that anyone cannot in fact do it. Good to know.
    No, I just likely make more than you do. I make well above the median income.

I never said anyone can build an empire as large as Amazon. Some people simply aren't creative, ingenious, or diligent enough to do it.

The world needs delivery drivers, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, more than 20 years ago. I had kidney failure in the 1990's.

It's 2021.

10+ Year Old Account
    All those places don't use Amazon. That's your claim, and it's utter nonsense.
    How am I supposed to know whether or not they use Amazon, though?

And it's entirely conceivable that an area's businesses might all use Amazon or its services in some way, actually. What's your solution for ethical consumption then? Or for people who can't afford the alternatives?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you love Amazon, great!!!

Well, Bezos is wealthy, because of Amazon. Almost all of his wealth is in Amazon stock.
    How is that a counterpoint to what I argued?

Supporting Amazon the company's existence is neither a statement supporting all their business practices nor a statement that their ownership should be permitted to extract that much wealth from it without consequence.

How am I supposed to know whether or not they use Amazon, though?

And it's entirely conceivable that an area's businesses might all use Amazon or its services in some way, actually. What's your solution for ethical consumption then? Or for people who can't afford the alternatives?
    Become an informed consumer, and don't use amazon.com.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    How is that a counterpoint to what I argued?

Supporting Amazon the company's existence is neither a statement supporting all their business practices nor a statement that their ownership should be permitted to extract that much wealth from it without consequence.
    It does exist, n it's massive. People love it because it's massive. That means they can get products in hours, instead of what used to take weeks. It's size is a feature, not a bug.

Bezos' wealth is directly tied to that success, and your support of that company.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I just likely make more than you do. I make well above the median income.
    r/thathappened

I never said anyone can build an empire as large as Amazon. Some people simply aren't creative, ingenious, or diligent enough to do it.
    Which is what I mean about libertarians insulting themselves in their rush to defend the rich. Again, kind of weird you chose an ideology that necessitates insisting you're personally inadequate.

Can't imagine what that does to one's self esteem. Suddenly the angry defensiveness makes sense.

The world needs delivery drivers, too.
    Then why do you oppose paying them enough to live on?

No, you didn't. I asked a question, you pointed me towards a 100+ page thread and just said to read it.
    A quick synopsis:
    Machismo accuses Jack Daniels of corporatism to further entrench their market share.
    I point out that JD received no competitive advantage themselves, gave competitive advantage to a smaller competitor and competition overall increased as new distillers entered the market. The only entity unhappy with the legislation was the largest whiskey producer in the world who frequently engages in anticompetitive behaviour.

r/thathappened

Which is what I mean about libertarians insulting themselves in their rush to defend the rich. Again, kind of weird you chose an ideology that necessitates insisting you're personally inadequate.

Can't imagine what that does to one's self esteem. Suddenly the angry defensiveness makes sense.

Then why do you oppose paying them enough to live on?
    I don't much care if you believe me, feel free to think I'm poor as shit. I have no problem admitting dudes like Bezos have far better business sense, and are likely more intelligent, or more creative.

I support people agreeing with a company, and deciding on a fair wage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Become an informed consumer
    Which I can't do because any effort to make it easier to be an informed consumer gets decried as communism.

Again: what is your solution for people living in an area with no alternative, or if they can't afford the alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    A quick synopsis:
    Machismo accuses Jack Daniels of corporatism to further entrench their market share.
    I point out that JD received no competitive advantage themselves, gave competitive advantage to a smaller competitor and competition overall increased as new distillers entered the market. The only entity unhappy with the legislation was the largest whiskey producer in the world who frequently engages in anticompetitive behaviour.
    Except, that wasn't true, because it limited the competitive marketplace.

- - - Updated - - -

Which I can't do because any effort to make it easier to be an informed consumer gets decried as communism.

Again: what is your solution for people living in an area with no alternative, or if they can't afford the alternatives?
    You're literally using your own willful ignorance as an argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support people agreeing with a company, and deciding on a fair wage.
    That's nice. It's also meaningless because you don't support outlawing unfair wages.

That's nice. It's also meaningless because you don't support outlawing unfair wages.
    It's not unfair, the person agreed to work for that price. They clearly felt it was fair.

If they don't like it, they can even form a union... or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're literally using your own willful ignorance as an argument.
    I'm seeing a distinct lack of solutions for people that can't afford the alternatives to Amazon. Are you just going to admit you don't have one?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not unfair, the person agreed to work for that price. They clearly felt it was fair.
    Are you seriously arguing that unfair wages don't exist?

I'm seeing a distinct lack of solutions for people that can't afford the alternatives to Amazon. Are you just going to admit you don't have one?
    Amazon has numerous competitors. They are simply filling a demand.