Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This is your argument, so to throw your hands up and say, "who knows" is a bit of a problem.
    I did 5 minutes of work for a complex problem. Its a lot easier to be a shit throwing chimpanzee. Which route did you take?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Is there a reason you keep dodging the central point, that a wealth tax, by definition, only affects those above a certain (high) wealth level to begin with?

Again, the Sanders/Warren proposal started that line at $20 million.

Yes, without sufficient income, your wealth might shrink a bit at a time until you dip below that $20m mark. But then it'd stop. That's how it works.
    Oh, I'm not dodging, you guys just don't like me bringing up that this is all about punishing the wealthy.

Is there a reason you keep dodging the central point, that a wealth tax, by definition, only affects those above a certain (high) wealth level to begin with?

Again, the Sanders/Warren proposal started that line at $20 million.

Yes, without sufficient income, your wealth might shrink a bit at a time until you dip below that $20m mark. But then it'd stop. That's how it works.
    The Warren proposal I saw started at $50m (with another bump @ $1b). I could have missed a different one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I'm not dodging, you guys just don't like me bringing up that this is all about punishing the wealthy.
    Taxation isn't punishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I did 5 minutes of work for a complex problem. Its a lot easier to be a shit throwing chimpanzee. Which route did you take?
    This is the narrative you are trying to push. If you are going to push an agenda like this, then you better be able to answer simple questions based on your feelings on the matter.

how is paying your fair share punishment? You do realize that the wealthy benefit the most from a stable society right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Yeah, might to say the exemption was too high. My bad.
    Sorry for being snooty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The Warren proposal I saw started at $50m (with another bump @ $1b). I could have missed a different one.

- - - Updated - - -

Taxation isn't punishment.
    Then, those tens of millions of people with 401k plans won't be punished when their plans get taxed every single year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    how is paying your fair share punishment? You do realize that the wealthy benefit the most from a stable society right?
    What exactly is "your fair share?"

Sorry for being snooty.
    Nah, your good, better than having people think I wanted it to be a higher exemption.

Edit: Off to bed for me, later guys.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Then, those tens of millions of people with 401k plans won't be punished when their plans get taxed every single year.
    There aren't even a hundred thousand people who have more than $50m in the US. Where are these tens of millions of people with 401k plans that have more than $50m dollars?

There aren't even a hundred thousand people who have more than $50m in the US. Where are these tens of millions of people with 401k plans that have more than $50m dollars?
    Once again, you said taxation isn't punishment, those 401k plans aren't stopping someone from eating (your other attempt at an argument).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have debunked that particular little quip twice now, and you've dodged it both times.

You don't have an argument based on reason. You just have these Trumpian little quips that don't actually mean anything.

I have debunked that particular little quip twice now, and you've dodged it both times.

You don't have an argument based on reason. You just have these Trumpian little quips that don't actually mean anything.
    Your goal is double taxation on the wealthy. How many people do we see talking about 3rd yachts, and what not?

This is literally having them liquidate funds, to pay for assets they have owned for years.

That is a shitty precedent to set. It's not about "hard times" it's about punishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your goal is double taxation on the wealthy. How many people do we see talking about 3rd yachts, and what not?

This is literally having them liquidate funds, to pay for assets they have owned for years.

That is a shitty precedent to set. It's not about "hard times" it's about punishment.
    Nope.

Repeating this particular lie over and over is never gonna make it true, any more than ranting about the mass media being "fake news" came true. Truth does not come about through repetition. It's just you being unwilling or unable to deal with the truth of someone's argument, so you lie about it and substitute your lie for their truth.

Once again, you said taxation isn't punishment, those 401k plans aren't stopping someone from eating (your other attempt at an argument).
    Once again:

You seem to misunderstand... likely on purpose. I cannot really help you with that,

Nope.

Repeating this particular lie over and over is never gonna make it true, any more than ranting about the mass media being "fake news" came true. Truth does not come about through repetition.
    How many people have you seen dehumanizing them, bringing up third yachts, and saying they can afford it, so it's fine.

This forced them to maintain liquid assets to pay for having investments. For Bezos, that means almost $4 billion a year in liquid assets, just for "upkeep. That means he has to sell stock in his own company to pay... for his company being successful.

It's fucking stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Once again:
    Spamming that doesn't make it any more true.

It's about trying to address the imbalances which have arisen in our society. I don't doubt you can find angry people who want to punish the wealthy, but if we're talking about the average voter, don't make me laugh. We care a lot less about punishment and a lot more about trying to help our society function better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    It's about trying to address the imbalances which have arisen in our society. I don't doubt you can find angry people who want to punish the wealthy, but if we're talking about the average voter, don't make me laugh. We care a lot less about punishment and a lot more about trying to help our society function better.
    The average voter wants free shit, and wants someone else to pay for it.

Well, this one is going to add some variety I guess:

Spamming that doesn't make it any more true.

Well, we do have property taxes which is basically a rent on property you own outright. And it is taxed every year and to pay for it, you need to have some form of liquidity to do so. That is the part of the price someone has to pay to live in a society with others as that money goes to infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, we do have property taxes which is basically a rent on property you own outright. And it is taxed every year and to pay for it, you need to have some form of liquidity to do so. That is the part of the price someone has to pay to live in a society with others as that money goes to infrastructure.
    We don't have taxes just for having a 401k (or simply owning stocks).

Should they be taxed every year?