Thread: Elden Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's the thing right now it seems. Total War Warhammer 3 lags on the turn-based campaign map? Terrible performance. Horizon Forbidden West doesn't maintain perfect framerates on positively ancient hardware? Terrible performance. Elden Ring does the same and taxes the PC a bit too much? Terrible performance. Now I get that people want and like their consistent framerates out of hardware that cost hundreds/thousands of dollars- so do I. But the way some people talk you're either Doom Eternal level of perfectly optimized or you're Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 release tier of terrible with no in-between.

Myself I'm more miffed that the port seems an afterthought with an option menu and control layout that seems at first glance a downgrade from Sekiro which I found a respectable port. But I'll judge when I play it at some point.
    Honestly the talk about ER performance seems to be nonsense, PS5 version is mostly 60 fps with some drops to 50 and PC version seems to be mostly 60 fps if your hardware is capable of it with occasional stutters when it's streaming in new assets. Not perfect by any means but geez talk about first world problems if people are miffed by 60 fps with occasional drops. This isn't like some Cyberpunk last gen situation lmao. This is just usual From Software, great dev but not technical wizards situation.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-02-24 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Honestly the talk about ER performance seems to be nonsense, PS5 version is mostly 60 fps with some drops to 50 and PC version seems to be mostly 60 fps if your hardware is capable of it with occasional stutters when it's streaming in new assets. Not perfect by any means but geez talk about first world problems if people are miffed by 60 fps with occasional drops. This isn't like some Cyberpunk last gen situation lmao. This is just usual From Software, great dev but not technical wizards situation.
    Going from 60 to 50 is hardly a big deal unless it happens constantly (seems it doesn't) but stuttering in an open world can become tiresome.

Not, like, let's-review-bomb-this-game tiresome or anything but still.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    It looks decent, I just hope the combat isn't as horrible as it is in the Dark Souls game. Slow and clunky. Those games rivals Skyrim in terms of bad combat.
    YMMV, but the difference between skyrim combat and darksouls combat is an ocean. They aren't even the same type of combat system at baseline. One is 3rd person action combat (dynasty warriors, kingdoms of amalur, witcher, etc), one is first person hack and slash (mordhau, mount and blade, warhammer vermintide, etc).

Whereas I typically define "clunky" as "does not respond to my inputs in the manner I expect", I typically find most people just mean "does not instantly do what I want when I want it to."

Something locking you out of other actions while it's being performed isn't clunky to me. Conversely, something locking you out of other actions and not allowing you to cancel said action might be clunky. OG dark souls is more clunky than DS3 by a long shot in this manner, but as far as games with "soulslike" combat, monster hunter is the worst. You can't dodge-cancel basically anything in that game. Once you start an action, you've committed to the entire animation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I really think that people need to chill out with the PC performance stuff. Dropping from 60 to 45 frames once every couple of hours or something is really not a big deal. I don't understand why people call the performance "terrible" when it's overall pretty innocuous.
    My personal favorite are people who complain about dipping below 100 fps in games, and act as if playing below 100 fps is the end of the world. I regularly enable the fps cap at 60-80 in games that feature an fps cap in the options, no point putting additional load on my hardware for a difference I literally can't perceive.

That being said, the one review I listened to mentioned that there did seem to be an FPS drop that he noticed during long sessions (ie, upwards of 4-5 hours). He also went on to mention that the graphic issues like fps drops and pop-in weren't issues in boss fights, just an issue in the overworld. The reviewer is ACG, if anyone wants to give it a watch (or listen), his reviews skew fairly long (20-30 minutes) but they also tend to be quite solid in covering all of the basics. If anyone is thinking about getting the game, but isn't confident in doing so, I'd absolutely recommend they check out that review. Hope it helps people who are on the fence about it make up their mind on whether or not to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I heard performance issues, especially on PC. Truth be told my CPU isn't the best ( ryzen 5 2600, 16GB ram, RTX 2060S )

I hope I won't have issues maxing it on 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's the thing right now it seems. Total War Warhammer 3 lags on the turn-based campaign map? Terrible performance. Horizon Forbidden West doesn't maintain perfect framerates on positively ancient hardware? Terrible performance. Elden Ring does the same and taxes the PC a bit too much? Terrible performance. Now I get that people want and like their consistent framerates out of hardware that cost hundreds/thousands of dollars- so do I. But the way some people talk you're either Doom Eternal level of perfectly optimized or you're Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 release tier of terrible with no in-between.

Myself I'm more miffed that the port seems an afterthought with an option menu and control layout that seems at first glance a downgrade from Sekiro which I found a respectable port. But I'll judge when I play it at some point.
    And this is why reviews and players talking about poor performance is not something I take into consideration... Can't recall a game where concerns of performance issues have applied to my experience tbh.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    I hope I won't have issues maxing it on 1080p.
    Why people think they can max any new game "without issue" (usually meaning they want to peg the refresh rate and never see any drops) on hardware that could never max out games when it was CURRENT hardware is beyond me...

Like... people realize CURRENT TOP END hardware often has issues with modern games on current monitor settings (1440p, 120+ fps) right? Do you really think your years-old system is going to be able to run a game at "max settings" and still pull 60 fps on a 1080p monitor?
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2022-02-24 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    And this is why reviews and players talking about poor performance is not something I take into consideration... Can't recall a game where concerns of performance issues have applied to my experience tbh.
    The only time performance concerns even register with me is when I read it about a Bethesda game, and even then it is only a case of “what is the Bethesda jank scale for this one?”

I usually sale wait most games nowadays simply due to lack of time. Suffice to say hype has got the best of me this time. Preorder is done and look forward to playing Friday for this one (ps5).

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Interesting, seems to be mixed on that front, because Jason Shreier said he had to stop playing the ps5 version and go back to the PC version because the frame dips were too noticeable.
    Wow. I am now the proud owner of all, gaming PC, XSX, and PS5. Did read the recent Digital Foundry about ER.

Unless I was at the very beginning, never would I change platforms over frame rate dips....

I probably don't know anyone personally who would do that, so wow that's a surprising story. I'm sure he probably gets copies for free on all platforms, but still, that would not be a thing I would do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    It looks decent, I just hope the combat isn't as horrible as it is in the Dark Souls game. Slow and clunky. Those games rivals Skyrim in terms of bad combat.
    Nioh 2 greatest combat of all time...besides maybe Elden Ring of course. So soon!!!

I too am not a fan of quick time events disguised as combat like Sekiro, but am much more a fan of thoughtful combat with action rolled in to add a fun factor or novelty. Nioh 2 combat was more akin to Tekken than Dark Souls, and that novelty(plus rpg lite mechanics, plus always available character creator) carried me through well over a hundred hours.

That said, I do love Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 1/3 and Bloodborne more than if I made them myself, so I don't know what to say. Perfect combat or not, those games just had it. Elden Ring will too.

I'm not totally averse to reflex based combat, but I am totally averse to calling anything exclusively reflex-based "skill." Thinking fast does not equal thinking well. However, as mentioned, timing can add fun and novelty. I hesitate to define skill, but my favorite combat style requires the end user to think both fast and well while also juggling memorization and observation. Finally a pinch of novelty or gimmick is thrown in for fun but also to bookmark the memory of combat for easy reference, and one ends up with memorable combat. Anyone could probably tell I love turn based games. Recently, Hades had remarkably engaging combat design. One major thing, no good combat system becomes memorable from combating training dummies, there has to be some challenge.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-02-24 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know starting class becomes meaningless as time goes on but what classes are people starting with?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I know starting class becomes meaningless as time goes on but what classes are people starting with?
    Wretch. I like having a challenging beginning and having everything I find be useful. Plus, it lets me experiment with different stuff before picking a path.

Honestly not exactly boding well when the game can't do the simplest of things. Currently showing me controller inputs for the game while I'm obviously playing on a PC. During the intro cutscene there was a heavy desync between audio and the subtitles, making nothing line up at all. Then it boots me to the Click to Play screen saying my framerate is to low, not actually allowing me to go into the options to change anything about it. Using an amazing PC btw. If I'm having framerate problems that would likely mean 99% of players should likewise be having the same issue.

Even starting Fallout 76 went smoother than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far it's a really terrible PC port.

I think I'll wait for bug fixes this is just annoying.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    So far it's a really terrible PC port.

I think I'll wait for bug fixes this is just annoying.
    Don't worry, I'm sure modders will fix it in a day or two. Unfortunately I think Durante has his own business working on optimizing PC games and handling ports so I doubt he'll be back with more "I fixed your framerate and resolution limits in a few hours." patches will be on the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elden Ring doesn't use adaptive triggers - pre-order canceled.

/s

Very few issues on PC after a couple hours of play. I know that's not going to win any friends or anything, but other than a few very brief stuttering, its running fine. Hopefully a quick patch will bring that up for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Very few issues on PC after a couple hours of play. I know that's not going to win any friends or anything, but other than a few very brief stuttering, its running fine. Hopefully a quick patch will bring that up for everyone.
    I'm barely noticing the stuttering. I notice the new area one and a half second later it's gone. The other one that is supposed to be constantly happening I just don't see.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know some people have some badass PCs but you have to remember most of a games audience does not. This game is running on base PS4s and Xbox Box Ones. People who 7-8 year old GPUs. Devs will try to make game look and run well enough on your 8K non-gsync'd 500Hz monitor with a 20 core quantum CPU but they can always address edge case builds. PC gaming means you have to be comfortable getting under the hood and messing with settings and config files some times.

And ends up with a mediocre "Mixed" rating on Steam, and I still say that's to high. Really can't trust all the glowing reviews people seem to throw around these days.

Game runs like dogshit on PC. Setting options are awful. Doesnt allow you to get any more then 60 fps, it constantly stutters and dips to 30 fps or lower. Makes fights impossible when it happens due to the high difficulty of the game. Crashes frequently. Co-op disconnects.

10900k cpu
    3090 video card

Hardware aint the issue. Just another piss poor job of a highly anticipated game.