Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
    Where? In California during the summer, 99.999%. Happens every year.

In Texas, I mean.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    In Texas, I mean.
    Demand isn't there yet, but I would be surprised if they don't do rolling blackouts at some point. It's only June, it's only going to get worse here.

What can I do to prepare for the power going out?

7+ Year Old Account
    If you live in a nice area, you probably won't experience them. They tend to do these things on the poor parts of town, at least that's what happened during the snow here in SA. You could look at CPS outage map and the parts without electricity on were in the south and east.

As for preparing, have access to a pool and don't keep some any perishable goods in the refrigerator incase they spoil.

Freeze bottles of water that you can move to the fridge to help keep it cool in case you lose power. Cool down your place as much as you can at night to reduce the need to cool during the day. Keep blinds closed to keep the heat out. Hydrate, a lot, always hydrate, a lot. If you have access to a pool, make use of it when it's not blisteringly hot. Make sure backup batteries for electronics are charged.

If you don't have access to this stuff/AC or lose power, check your city/county web pages to see if they have any cooling stations set up in your area. IIRC Red Cross was setting some up preemptively.

Likely plenty of other tips around the web as well.

Solar + battery. I would recommend Powerwall. Except, now Tesla will only sell you Powerwall if you install their solar system. Screw Tesla. Go with LG Chem and Sunlux. I have heard good things about Brightbox also. Except it is only available in California, Massachusetts, Arizona, New York, Hawaii, Florida and Puerto Rico. I don't think it is available in Texas yet.

If you want to go truly net zero, add geothermal heating and cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    nah they will deny it and blame it on solar again.

or Mexicans, that seems to be their go to. Guess they want to spend more on a new state wall then fixing their real problems like education and energy.
    Biden!!! All Biden's fault!!!! If only Trump was in the White House the magic fairies would have magically fixed the Texas Infrastructure overnight right after the election!!!! Or a "Thanks Obama!" line.

Bath tub + water = take a good book in there and cool down. Doesn't even need to be a lot of water, the evaporative cooling of the water on your skin will cool you down.

saved me the 5 days we lost power after a crazy downdraft super storm a decade ago in our town.

No electronics that plug in please, you never know when power will come back on.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Bath tub + water = take a good book in there and cool down. Doesn't even need to be a lot of water, the evaporative cooling of the water on your skin will cool you down.

saved me the 5 days we lost power after a crazy downdraft super storm a decade ago in our town.

No electronics that plug in please, you never know when power will come back on.
    Bzzzzzztt!

We have a outdoor shower connected to a 700-foot well. On a hot day, after working outdoor, I would bypass the pressure tank, and turned the pump on. There is nothing like taking a shower with ice-cold water after spending the whole day working in 90 - 100F temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Bzzzzzztt!

We have a outdoor shower connected to a 700-foot well. On a hot day, after working outdoor, I would bypass the pressure tank, and turned the pump on. There is nothing like taking a shower with ice-cold water after spending the whole day working in 90 - 100F temperature.
    yah even pipped in water from non well sources will be much colder then the ambient air and can really save you on a hot day
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

That cold shower thing does sound refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That cold shower thing does sound refreshing.
    Second best option to having access to a swimming pool fed by artesian spring. I saw a bunch of those in Asia. Never seen one in the US.

Here is one in Oklahoma. Never been there though.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-06-16 at 10:50 PM.

Those old tweets coming back to haunt him. Again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1865864.html

US senator Ted Cruz is facing another wave of online criticism after Texas’ energy authority asked state residents to conserve power and warned of grid shortages following his own attacks aimed at liberal states that faced similar issues.
    The tweets in question:

Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-06-16 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Those old tweets coming back to haunt him. Again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1865864.html
    He'd have to be capable of shame or embarrassment for them to haunt him. And I think he's very thoroughly proven he's capable of neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He'd have to be capable of shame or embarrassment for them to haunt him. And I think he's very thoroughly proven he's capable of neither.
    Truth. But it's another addition to the long list of things to mock Ted Cruz over.

The governor is helpless to keep the electricity running, but he's got the money for that border; Texas governor says state will provide $250 million 'downpayment' for border wall

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The governor is helpless to keep the electricity running, but he's got the money for that border; Texas governor says state will provide $250 million 'downpayment' for border wall
    They are worried about anything other than their electrical grid. Guns, banning abortion, the monument to white supremacy, but people dying of extreme heat or extreme cold? Fuck them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember; Ercot's asking people to turn off their AC and risk dying. But I can practically guarantee that city skylines (Dallas here because it's the first Texas city that popped into my head) will still look like this at night;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just remember; Ercot's asking people to turn off their AC and risk dying. But I can practically guarantee that city skylines (Dallas here because it's the first Texas city that popped into my head) will still look like this at night;

Actually it doesnt. source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfm_t8zNqMA

cant speak for other cities but DFW is doing their part

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Texans conserving electricity…. that’ll be the day lmao
    of course not its the liberal media making up the whole electricity shortage/problems!!! It's their GOD GIVEN RIGHTS to use as much electricity as they want!!!

Yeeeeahhhhaawwww
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!