Page 49 of 116 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    No that's mostly fear mongering. I'd bet you money that our ability to generate power and usable water will go up slightly over 50 years as opposed to going down. But of course doomsayers always make predictions that can't be falsified in a relevant timeframe.
    The middle east is already there.
    So apply your (lack of) thought there. They already expect 120 degree weather in the summer. And the current outlook within the next 50yrs or so is 140 degrees.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The middle east is already there.
    So apply your (lack of) thought there. They already expect 120 degree weather in the summer. And the current outlook within the next 50yrs or so is 140 degrees.
    The problem with PC2's and other science/reality deniers is that they misunderstand the issue on two completely separate areas.

1. They "believe" that technology will evolve to solve the future problems of climate change. And so far technologies haven't, and more importantly, aren't. So, strike one for @PC2.
    2. They misunderstand the level of political will to actually get any of this done - to move the programs forward so they are big enough to have any real effect. So, strike two for PC2.
    3. They don't understand how bad it's going to get, because they are so disconnected with reality. Where ever they live (people like PC2), climate change effects aren't showing - and worse, even if they were, they wouldn't believe it.

So strike three for PC2. But then again, he was already always out.
    Last edited by cubby; 2022-05-23 at 09:17 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    1. They "believe" that technology will evolve to solve the future problems of climate change.
    We can create technology that solves all of our current (non-social) problems, such as climate change. Whoever told you it can't be done is simply ignorant or lying to you.
    And so far technologies haven't,
    Technology is what allowed us to move past the cave man era and it's what enables the modern world and our First world lifestyles. People should be grateful... Technology has already saved us and it can save us from climate dangers as well.
    and more importantly, aren't.
    I mean you're just wrong, technology has been getting better constantly and we're using it to solve more and more problems each year. It's working.
    2. They misunderstand the level of political will to actually get any of this done - to move the programs forward so they are big enough to have any real effect. So, strike two for PC2.
    Most of what we need to do has little to do with politics/governance.
    3. They don't understand how bad it's going to get,
    Inflation will really suck for a while, but society can get through it without having a melt-down.
    because they are so disconnected with reality.
    Everyone is disconnected from 99% of reality, that's why we have to use statistical data to gauge the world.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-05-24 at 01:02 AM.

TLDR, "Don't worry, be happy. Don't worry be happy. Don't worry...be happy, technology will magically fix all our problems without requiring that we alter our behaviors. Have faith, fam."

Not quite as much of a banger as the original, but maybe keep trying

We can create technology that solves all of our current (non-social) problems, such as climate change. Whoever told you it can't be done is simply ignorant or lying to you.
    Show us all...that you're not full of your usual bullshit.
    Everyone is disconnected from 99% of reality...
    At this point it's just you.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe. But we haven't. We aren't. And climate change catastrophe is just getting worse.

Technology is what allowed us to move past the cave man era and it's what enables the modern world and our First world lifestyles. People should be grateful... Technology has already saved us and it can save us from climate dangers as well.
    Ok - but that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation now.

I mean you're just wrong, technology has been getting better constantly and we're using it to solve more and more problems each year. It's working
    Sure technology is getting better, but it's not being used, and it's not working fast enough. Climate change just getting worse.

Most of what we need to do has little to do with politics/governance.
    Who will do it if not the governments of the world?

Inflation will really suck for a while, but society can get through it without having a melt-down.
    You think this is "how bad it's going to get"? Inflation?

Everyone is disconnected from 99% of reality, that's why we have to use statistical data to gauge the world.
    Why do you think wishing it away is a viable solution?
    You realize the above just proves everyone else's comments about your disconnection with reality and your inability to process evidence, right? Your answers above can be summed up as "I think it, therefore it's true" - while you provide no evidence for your claims.

Redlined answers in your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TLDR, "Don't worry, be happy. Don't worry be happy. Don't worry...be happy, technology will magically fix all our problems without requiring that we alter our behaviors. Have faith, fam."

Not quite as much of a banger as the original, but maybe keep trying
    Well Elon Musk is doing a 100million dollar "capture carbon" contest. Someone has to win so that will fix everything, it is Elon, and he's a genius. =)
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2022-05-24 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Well Elon Musk is doing a 100million dollar "capture carbon" contest. Someone has to win so that will fix everything, it is Elon, and he's a genius. =)
    I still love all the people pointing out that this literally exists, and it's a tree.

I still love all the people pointing out that this literally exists, and it's a tree.
    A magical tree that will fix all of civilizations problems.

you ever look at the musk foundation website? http://www.muskfoundation.org/

We are already in an extinction level event and pc2 is talking about magic tech that doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    you ever look at the musk foundation website? http://www.muskfoundation.org/

We are already in an extinction level event and pc2 is talking about magic tech that doesn't exist
    That's gotta be someone squatting or some shit, right?

NOAA predicts above-normal 2022 Atlantic hurricane season

Between June 1 and Nov. 30, 14 to 21 named storms are likely, and as many as 10 could become full hurricanes (storms with winds of at least 74 miles per hour) according to NOAA’s forecast.

Of these, three to six could qualify as “major” hurricanes, or those reaching category 3, 4 or 5, with winds of at least 111 mph. Typical seasons have about 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes and three major hurricanes.

Overall, the NOAA estimated a 65 percent chance the season will be above-normal, versus a 25 percent chance of about normal conditions and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season.

The forecast comes after two consecutive seasons that exhausted a prepared list of 21 storm names, a point no previous season had reached.

Sweeping water restrictions begin in Southern California as drought worsens

The megadrought in the U.S. West has produced the region's driest two decades in at least 1,200 years.

The goal is to slash water use by 35% as the state enters its third straight year of drought.

The rules come after California officials in March announced they were cutting State Water Project allocations from 15% to 5% of normal amid declining reservoir levels and reduced snowpack. California's two largest reservoirs have already dropped to critically low levels, and the state this year experienced its driest January, February and March on record.

Conditions are likely to continue through 2022 and could persist for years. Researchers publishing in the journal Nature Climate Change have estimated that 42% of the drought's severity is attributable to human-caused climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sweeping water restrictions begin in Southern California as drought worsens

The megadrought in the U.S. West has produced the region's driest two decades in at least 1,200 years.

The goal is to slash water use by 35% as the state enters its third straight year of drought.

The rules come after California officials in March announced they were cutting State Water Project allocations from 15% to 5% of normal amid declining reservoir levels and reduced snowpack. California's two largest reservoirs have already dropped to critically low levels, and the state this year experienced its driest January, February and March on record.

Conditions are likely to continue through 2022 and could persist for years. Researchers publishing in the journal Nature Climate Change have estimated that 42% of the drought's severity is attributable to human-caused climate change.
    The mega regions like LA, SF, SD and OC make the front news, but they have the resources to deal with the problem. LA and OC have been recycling wastewater and pumping it back into the GW basins for more than a decade. OC have been accepting sewer from Riverside for free just so that they have more water to pump into the GW basins.

San Diego GW basins are ill suited for that type of projects. However, it completed the San Vicente Dam Raise project which more than doubled the storage capacity, Carlsbad desalination plant which currently provides water to 10% of San Diego County, and the Pure Water Project which will start operation in 2025 and by 2030 is anticipated to provide water for 75% of City of San Diego water need. The water is expensive because of funding for all these mega projects. Also, thanks to selling less water due to conservation efforts, San Diego County has raised rates — by an average of 4% for each of the past five years — to cover fixed costs including the San Vicente Dam and desalination plant. Such costs make up the lion’s share — roughly 90% — of the agency’s annual expenses. Whole sale water in San Diego is about 21% higher than in LA. However, the region is in no danger of running out of water any time soon. Just no more cheap water.

SF has access to nine reservoirs. Including Hetch Hetchy which is currently at 100% capacity. On top of that, SF has the lowest per capita water usage in the US (42 gallons per person per day). I think San Diego is second lowest.

The places that are in truly dire situations are the small central and northern California coastal communities. Such as Cambria in the Central Coast and Mendocino in Northern Coast. They are too small and too remote to justify building pipelines, and they lacked the financial resources to build desalination plants and/or large capacity reservoirs.

Maybe someone from Anthea will show up and find someone to allow us to develop a free and clean energy device and save us all!

I'm not sure that big oil will want to save us though.

How much water does the typical American use?

San Francisco - 42 gallons per person per day.

San Diego - 55 gallons

Los Angeles - 78

Palm Springs, CA - 251

Fresno, CA - 200 (Down from over 300 in 2008)

Phoenix, AZ - 184

Las Vegas, NV - over 500. (Blame the abundant swimming pools, affluent residences, golf courses and all the resorts.)

Austin, TX - 120

Dallas, TX - 110

Houston, TX - 69 (Color me impressed).

Miami, FL - 139.6

New York, NY - 117.87
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-06-06 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

San Diego - 55 gallons

Los Angeles - 78

Palm Springs, CA - 251

Phoenix, AZ - 184

Las Vegas, NV - over 500. (Blame the abundant swimming pools, affluent residences, golf courses and all the resorts.)

Austin, TX - 120

Dallas, TX - 110

Miami, FL - 139.6

New York, NY - 117.87
    I don't feel too bad about my uses (which is technically above average for a one-person home...because we have two people here). Definitely above SF levels and probably closer to LA levels if I try to guestimate splitting the water use (maybe a bit lower, my brother uses a lot more water than I do).

What the fucking hell is up with the fuckin deserts and people using insane amounts of water there? Palm Springs and Phoenix and shit. Like...do people plant non-native gardens that need tons of water? Pointless lawns (which IIRC LV largely did away with)? 12 showers a day? Refilling the pool once a week or something?

That's crazy to me, because I'm always trying to be very cognizant of my water use in general, and am still battling to find a few minor (and one more "moderate") leaks in the yard that are probably more just rounding errors in my water consumption.

I don't feel too bad about my uses (which is technically above average for a one-person home...because we have two people here). Definitely above SF levels and probably closer to LA levels if I try to guestimate splitting the water use (maybe a bit lower, my brother uses a lot more water than I do).

What the fucking hell is up with the fuckin deserts and people using insane amounts of water there? Palm Springs and Phoenix and shit. Like...do people plant non-native gardens that need tons of water? Pointless lawns (which IIRC LV largely did away with)? 12 showers a day? Refilling the pool once a week or something?

That's crazy to me, because I'm always trying to be very cognizant of my water use in general, and am still battling to find a few minor (and one more "moderate") leaks in the yard that are probably more just rounding errors in my water consumption.
    My guess is swimming pools, golf courses and resorts. According to Fixr, 32.7% of homes in Phoenix and 23.8% of homes in Las Vegas have swimming pools. You lose a lot of water from evaporation quickly in Las Vegas.

Although I think the claim that 9% of San Francisco homes have swimming pools is wacko.

Listing agent Herman Chan told SFGATE that "I spoke with a designer colleague, a San Francisco native, who told me there are only 14 single-family homes in San Francisco that have pools."

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

San Diego - 55 gallons

Los Angeles - 78

Palm Springs, CA - 251

Fresno, CA - 200 (Down from over 300 in 2008)

Phoenix, AZ - 184

Austin, TX - 120

Dallas, TX - 110

Miami, FL - 139.6

New York, NY - 117.87

I have to admit, I'm probably using as much as the first 3 just by taking baths+showers every day and flushing the toilet.
    Although I have no idea how much water I actually use when I take a bath for example.... hmm.
    Anything about 100 seems to be insane though... like wtf.

The average in Germany seems to be around 35.. .are these numbers real?
    I know temperatures are different and all that, but what the heck? Is this all going into plants and pools?
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-06-07 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    The average in Germany seems to be around 35.. .are these numbers real?
    I know temperatures are different and all that, but what the heck? Is this all going into plants and pools?
    I wouldn't be surprised if lawns take up a considerable portion of the water in many areas. Americans love us some good lawns even in the middle of the damned desert where grass should absolutely not be. But yes, pools can consume a lot of water over the summer through evaporation (which I completely forgot about, clearly I don't own any pools).

Plus I'd chalk some of it up to good 'ol American overconsumption of everything/not thinking or caring about stuff. We're very good at that.