Lmao US Corn farms are one of the biggest carbon sinks (until they're inevitably consumed or destroyed each cycle), in the world. Why doesn't the US just pay for the corn and shoot it deep underground or whatever instead of paying them to trash the crop?

10+ Year Old Account
    So we're back to using the term "global warming" again, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I don't remember seeing those words used in the current heat wave discussion. Personally, I am just showing off how pleasant it is here. Temperature at Corgi Con on Saturday was in the low 60s, and dropped to low 50s by 3 pm. Don't pay attention the 84F high. I doubt that it will even break 75F.

10+ Year Old Account

"

Literally never stopped. You're pushing intentionally dishonest climate change denier conspiracy nonsense. The terms "global warming" and "climate change" have been in simultaneous use since the '60s at a minimum with regards to these changes, and refer to related but distinct things. Specifically, global warming is a component of climate change, which also covers a lot of other components. And literally always has. As is understood by everyone but conspiracy wonks.

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/12/what...lobal-warming/
    https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...climate-change

The "is it global warming or climate change" bullshit is exactly as intentionally ignorant and misleading as a statement like "do you have the flu or are you sick? You told me you had the flu, but then you told work you're too sick to come in, so who are you lying to?!"

It's that fuckin' silly.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-06-21 at 07:17 PM.

Is it the "global" part that's the issue?

Holly hell Texas. It is supposed to get worse next week?

It looks like Phoenix is still king of the hill when it comes to heat. Which do you prefer? Phoenix at 108F and 3% humidity or Miami at 91F and 73% humidity? Or Austin at 100F and 37% humidity.

try Northern Virginia at 98F with max humidity saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    try Northern Virginia at 98F with max humidity saturation.
    Based on NOAA heat index chart would put the heat index at over 132F.

Phoenix 108F at 3% humidity would put the heat index at 108F.

Florida 91F and 73% humidity heat index is 112F. Actually worse than Phoenix.

Austin 100F and 37% humidity is around 109F? The table does not go below 40% humidity.

anything over 95F automatically feels like it's 112' so really its' not far off.

Regardless of whether we call it global warming or climate change, weather and climate related disasters are increasing in the US.

NOAA - 2021 U.S. billion-dollar weather and climate disasters in historical context

2021 was also unusually deadly, in that the 20 events of 2021 caused at least 688 direct or indirect fatalities—the most disaster-related fatalities for the contiguous U.S. since 2011 and more than double last year’s number of 262. In addition, these U.S. disasters also went late into the year, as December produced the Southeast, Central Tornado Outbreak (December 10); the Midwest Derecho and Tornado Outbreak (December 15); and the Marshall Fire in Boulder County, Colorado, on December 30.

Damages from the 2021 disasters totaled approximately $145 billion. (All cost estimates are adjusted based on the Consumer Price Index, 2021). The costliest 2021 events were Hurricane Ida ($75 billion), the mid-February Winter Storm / Cold Wave ($24.0 billion), and the Western wildfires ($10.9 billion). Adding the 2021 events to the record that began in 1980, the U.S. has sustained 310 weather and climate disasters where the overall damage costs reached or exceeded $1 billion. The cumulative cost for these 310 events exceeds $2.15 trillion.

In broader context, the total cost of U.S. billion-dollar disasters over the last 5 years (2017-2021) is $742.1 billion, with a 5-year annual cost average of $148.4 billion, both of which are new records and nearly triple the 42-year inflation adjusted annual average cost. The U.S. billion-dollar disaster damage costs over the last 10-years (2012-2021) were also historically large: at least $1.0 trillion from 142 separate billion-dollar events.

It is concerning that 2021 was another year in a series of years where we had a high frequency, a high cost, and large diversity of extreme events that affect people's lives and livelihoods—concerning because it hints that the extremely high activity of recent years is becoming the new normal. 2021 (red line) marks the seventh consecutive year (2015-21) in which 10 or more separate billion-dollar disaster events have impacted the U.S. The 1980–2021 annual average (black line) is 7.4 events (CPI-adjusted); the annual average for the most recent 5 years (2017–2021) is 17.2 events (CPI-adjusted).

It is important to keep in mind that these estimates do not reflect the total cost of U.S. weather and climate disasters, only those associated with events more than $1 billion in damages. That means they are a conservative estimate of how much extreme weather costs the U.S. each year. However, these billion-dollar events do account for the majority (>80%) of the damage from all recorded U.S. weather and climate events (NCEI; Munich Re), and they are becoming an increasingly larger percentage of the total damage costs from weather-related events at all scales and loss levels.

The irony is that the states that suffered the most from these disasters are the states controlled by the party of Climate Change Deniers - Texas 343B, Louisianna 270B and Florida 248B. Anybody that is interested in looking at the breakdown, here is the link - Billion-Dollar Weather and Climate Disasters

The distribution of damage from U.S. Billion-dollar disaster events from 1980 to 2021 is dominated by tropical cyclone losses. Tropical cyclones have caused the most damage ($1,157.1 billion, CPI-adjusted) and also have the highest average event cost ($20.3 billion per event, CPI-adjusted). Drought ($291.1 billion, CPI-adjusted), severe storms ($344.8 billion, CPI-adjusted) and inland flooding ($168.4 billion, CPI-adjusted) have also caused considerable damage based on the list of billion-dollar events.

Severe storms have caused the highest number of billion-dollar disaster events (152), while the average event cost is the lowest ($2.3 billion, CPI-adjusted). Tropical cyclones and flooding represent the second and third most frequent event types (57 and 36), respectively. Tropical cyclones are responsible for the highest number of deaths (6,708), followed by drought/heatwave events (4,139) and severe storms (1,972).
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-06-22 at 08:04 PM.

Heh! My parents are visiting. My daughter, in Austin, asked me to bring them to visit for a week.

I told her she should come here instead. It is 58F right now and feels like 56F. It is 101F in Austin and feels like 103F.

considering half of europe is turning back to coal if we havent already we wil probably get there
    i for one plan to burn a 70y old tree in little pieces over the winter to save on gas to

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    considering half of europe is turning back to coal if we havent already we wil probably get there
    i for one plan to burn a 70y old tree in little pieces over the winter to save on gas to
    This is a good reminder that this is a global event that affects not just the US, but the entire northern hemisphere. We have high temperatures in China, India, EU, Japan, Russia, etc. It has gotten so bad that India has reopened some coal mines and reactivated retired coal power plants. China has also increased their coal production to keep up with the power demand due to the heat wave.

Summers are getting hotter which leads to increasing power demand. Countries throughout the world are burning more fossil fuels to keep up with demand. Burning fossil fuels releases more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. Which in turns make summers even hotter. A vicious cycle of global climate disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

It is 58F and feels like 56F again today. San Francisco is officially, by far, the coolest City in the US. Not in North America though. A bunch of Canadian cities in Alberta have lower temps.

The high was supposed to be 73 today. But the hourly shows max today will only be 61.

The heatwave is coming back, worse, next week. When did it leave?

Meanwhile, it is raining anchovies in San Francisco.

Reddit user sanfrannie posted earlier this month that about a dozen 8-inch silver fish “rained down from the sky” onto their friend’s roof and back deck in the Outer Richmond. Several other users commented with similar experiences — one person said they “heard a whoosh sound behind me and heard a massive splat” before seeing fish scattered on a nearby driveway. Another commented that they “almost got hit by a fish waiting for a bus” in the Castro, and a third person said they assumed “a band of roving kids were doing a Tik Tok sardine-throwing challenge on a roof somewhere” after seeing several fish fall onto an Outer Richmond sidewalk.

Local fishers and researchers are blaming seabirds that, because of an explosion in the anchovy population off the coast of the Bay Area, now have more fish than they know what to do with.

“From Half Moon Bay to Point Reyes, people are telling me they’ve never seen bait this thick,” said Larry Collins, president of the San Francisco Community Fishing Association. “I heard stories just last week from guys who said that the water out there was just covered with thousands of birds, and the birds were just sitting on the water with anchovies in their mouths because they can’t eat anymore.”

According to Collins, the water this year is the coldest local fishermen have seen in a long time, and the anchovies are a testament to that.

Jim Ervin, retired laboratory analyst at San Jose’s Environmental Services Department, wrote in a June 11 blog post for UC Davis’ Otolith Geochemistry & Fish Ecology Laboratory that “the anchovy population just exploded in Lower South SF Bay.”

“The monthly totals in April and May were 29 and 52, respectively,” the post says. “The total number leaped to over 2,600 for the June trawls. This is the second-highest monthly total we have ever seen.”

Adam Ratner, associate director of conservation education at the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, attributes the phenomenon to normal patterns of upwelling, a process in which cold, nutrient-dense water rises from the ocean depths, replacing warmer water at the surface.

“It's just totally healthy ocean out there right now. I heard guys telling me about pelicans that, instead of diving to fill their mouths up, they’re just skimming the water and getting full mouths of anchovies,” Collins said.

As far as the fish raining onto city streets, birds like these pelicans are almost certainly to blame.

Anchonado?

How cold is cold? A weather buoy at Bodega Bay recorded temperatures as low as 42.8 on June 27. The lowest in three decades.

The good.

Perfect whale watching conditions. The whales are swarming off the central coast right now.

Epic fishing season. The salmons are pinker and richer tasting. The halibuts are staying put.

The kelp forest is recovering nicely after the 2014 - 2016 marine heat wave known as the “blob.”

Record breaking year for abalone, red urchin and oyster fisheries.

For divers, the conditions are just perfect. Make sure to wear at least 3 mm neoprene. Maybe even 5 mm. It is even colder at depth. My father is visiting for 2 months, and we have been diving 3 times a week. This is heaven for him. Lots of kelps and fishes for his underwater photography.

If you love cool, windy and foggy summers, this summer has been extra cool, with stronger wind and thicker fog. More of everything that you love.

The bad.

You may get hit by falling anchovies.

Surfers need to wear thicker suit.

As diving conditions go, the currents are stronger. Much stronger.

Less evaporation off the colder ocean meant less rain inland.

If you hate cool, windy and foggy summers ...........
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-06-29 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

It's that fuckin' silly.
    He's literally a flat earther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    He's literally a flat earther.
    Some people are stuck on semantics. Bottom line summers are getting hotter, droughts are more severe, and hurricane seasons are getting worse.

This year Phoenix actually hit 118F. Chicago had 3 days of over 100 between June 14 and June 21. Memphis reached 98 with heat index of 110. It is only going to get worse this summer.

The places where they are building new homes are those with no water. Such as Phoenix, Tucson, Midland, etc. Why is the State of Arizona letting a 1.1 million residential development permit go through when they barely have enough water to support the existing population? Lake Mead is almost at dead pool status.

The whole thing is mind-boggling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Literally never stopped.
    Oh I remember lefties right here on the mmo-c forums telling me it was an outdated term and that "climate change" was the new hotness. That's why I asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I remember lefties right here on the mmo-c forums telling me it was an outdated term and that "climate change" was the new hotness. That's why I asked.
    No, you don't. You're lying.

Here's you in 2017 pushing the same disinformation, and me immediately correcting you in exactly the same way; https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post46328838

Here's you in 2016, same deal. You'll have to skip to the very next post at the top of the next page to see me again, correcting you as to the same thing; https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post43904684

You're just pushing the same willfully ignorant climate change denier conspiracy garbage you've been posting here for years.

And lest anyone think that's an unfair accusation, I'll let Hammerfest speak for himself on that;
    Man-made climate change deniers unite!
    So you can't consider it flaming or attacking his character; he self-identifies that way.
    Last edited by Endus; 2022-06-30 at 06:35 PM.

I'll just clarify, more for others as you're a waste of time.

Global warming is both the cause and a symptom of Climate Change.

Climate change more completely refers to changing weather patterns, increasing droughts, increasing frequency, severity and reach of hurricanes, shifts in rainfall patterns and snowfall patterns etc brought on by global warming.