Page 88 of 116 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Recent, rapid ocean warming ahead of El Niño alarms scientists

This month, the global sea surface hit a new record high temperature. It has never warmed this much, this quickly.

Scientists don't fully understand why this has happened.

Experts believe that a strong El Niño weather event - a weather system that heats the ocean - will also set in over the next months.

Warmer oceans can kill off marine life, lead to more extreme weather and raise sea levels. They are also less efficient at absorbing planet-warming greenhouse gases.

-----------

I find myself curious about hypercanes...winds of at least 500mph.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Recent, rapid ocean warming ahead of El Niño alarms scientists

This month, the global sea surface hit a new record high temperature. It has never warmed this much, this quickly.

Scientists don't fully understand why this has happened.

Experts believe that a strong El Niño weather event - a weather system that heats the ocean - will also set in over the next months.

Warmer oceans can kill off marine life, lead to more extreme weather and raise sea levels. They are also less efficient at absorbing planet-warming greenhouse gases.

-----------

I find myself curious about hypercanes...winds of at least 500mph.
    The world changes a bit over time buts it's nothing that life and civilization can't handle. A few ocean lifeforms will die due to heat/pollution sensitivities but the survivors will evolve and adapt to new conditions. The progression of the world can be a little uncomfortable at times but at the end of day it's worth it and is better than living in a world that is frozen in time and doesn't have a growing civilization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The world changes a bit over time buts it's nothing that life and civilization can't handle. A few ocean lifeforms will die due to heat/pollution sensitivities but the survivors will evolve and adapt to new conditions. The progression of the world can be a little uncomfortable at times but at the end of day it's worth it and is better than living in a world that is frozen in time and doesn't have a growing civilization.
    Your ignorance is beyond tedious at this point. There have been many, many, many instances of civilizations declining and collapsing because of environmental degradation or climate shifts.

So yes, life as a whole can handle things changing. But "life" does not necessarily include human civilization or even humans themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    There have been many, many, many instances of civilizations declining and collapsing because of environmental degradation or climate shifts.
    That doesn't mean that our civilization is going to collapse. Past societies didn't have a scientific revolution which means they weren't constantly creating the kind of knowledge they needed to avoid catastrophes.
    So yes, life as a whole can handle things changing. But "life" does not necessarily include human civilization or even humans themselves.
    There's no reason to think humans and civilization are going to go away though. Climate change alarmists don't offer any solutions that world leaders can realistically implement. The topic is kind of just about scaring people.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't mean that our civilization is going to collapse. Past societies didn't have a scientific revolution which means they weren't constantly creating the kind of knowledge they needed to avoid catastrophes.
    Having the knowledge does not mean that it will be implemented, either.

Case in point: humans have known how inflation works for about as long as currency has existed. That hasn't stopped countless instances of societies debasing their currencies into oblivion leading to economic decline or collapse.

There's no reason to think humans and civilization are going to go away though. Climate change alarmists don't offer any solutions that world leaders can realistically implement.
    You mean "can't realistically implement without compromising capitalism." Which... okay, so what? Capitalism is not any more immutable or worth preserving than the divine right of kings.

The topic is kind of just about scaring people.
    No it's not. It's about ensuring human civilization as it presently exists remains sustainable and that future generations can enjoy a healthy and diverse biosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The world changes a bit over time buts it's nothing that life and civilization can't handle.
    You handwave scenarios that involve thousands of people dying and tens of thousands going homeless with disturbing ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    You handwave scenarios that involve thousands of people dying and tens of thousands going homeless with disturbing ease.
    His morality and ethic are equated with money. So it's easy to be dismissive.

- - - Updated - - -

Related news...Sperm count drop is accelerating worldwide and threatens the future of mankind, study warns

Sperm counts worldwide have halved over the past five decades, and the pace of the decline has more than doubled since the turn of the century, new research shows.

The international team behind it says the data is alarming and points to a fertility crisis threatening the survival of humanity.

Their meta-analysis looked at 223 studies based on sperm samples from over 57,000 men across 53 countries.

It shows for the first time that men in Latin America, Asia, and Africa share a similar decline in total sperm counts and concentration as previously observed in Europe, North America, and Australia.

The authors warn that the mean sperm count has now dropped dangerously close to the threshold that makes conception more difficult, meaning couples around the world may encounter problems having a baby without medical assistance.

Scientists find pollution is reaching babies in the womb and slashing boys' future sperm counts

-------------

Well, not sure if that's good news or bad news.

Scientists find pollution is reaching babies in the womb and slashing boys' future sperm counts[/i]

-------------

Probably good. Ecologically, anyway, as the frenzied growth of human population and the associated stress on the natural environment will at least grow somewhat slower.

Economically it means that the forever and infinite growth that is fundamental to capitalism will become obviously unsustainable sooner.

10+ Year Old Account
    His morality and ethic are equated with money. So it's easy to be dismissive.

- - - Updated - - -

Related news...Sperm count drop is accelerating worldwide and threatens the future of mankind, study warns

Sperm counts worldwide have halved over the past five decades, and the pace of the decline has more than doubled since the turn of the century, new research shows.

The international team behind it says the data is alarming and points to a fertility crisis threatening the survival of humanity.

Their meta-analysis looked at 223 studies based on sperm samples from over 57,000 men across 53 countries.

It shows for the first time that men in Latin America, Asia, and Africa share a similar decline in total sperm counts and concentration as previously observed in Europe, North America, and Australia.

The authors warn that the mean sperm count has now dropped dangerously close to the threshold that makes conception more difficult, meaning couples around the world may encounter problems having a baby without medical assistance.

Scientists find pollution is reaching babies in the womb and slashing boys' future sperm counts

-------------

Mixed feelings, I mean it took us 5 years to conceive so I know how it feels when it just doesn't seem to happen, on the other hand that growing populationn isn't great either.

We should tell all our republican friends this. It might make them actually care about the environment given their hardline stance on babies being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Mixed feelings, I mean it took us 5 years to conceive so I know how it feels when it just doesn't seem to happen, on the other hand that growing populationn isn't great either.
    Most decent countries barely met the replacement rate so there is no problem with overpopulation outside or Africa and Asia
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they did. Which you'd know, if you'd studied literally any history. In a lot of ways, modern society's forgotten ancient catastrophe-avoidance techniques and are only rediscovering them now, often by accident. Roman concrete is much more resilient to earthquakes, for instance. It's how the Pantheon's dome in Rome has survived so long despite Rome suffering earthquakes regularly. We've found markers on Japanese hillsides that essentially say "don't build below this point", because tsunamis can wipe our those lower regions (and modern Japan had, of course, built below those points and had those locations hit by tsunamis). This stuff's literally all over.

There's no reason to think humans and civilization are going to go away though. Climate change alarmists don't offer any solutions that world leaders can realistically implement. The topic is kind of just about scaring people.
    And this is just an open, empty, fearmongering lie. Absolute propaganda bullshit expressed solely to try and prevent action on climate change and to encourage greater harm to human lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, they did. Which you'd know, if you'd studied literally any history. In a lot of ways, modern society's forgotten ancient catastrophe-avoidance techniques and are only rediscovering them now, often by accident. Roman concrete is much more resilient to earthquakes, for instance. It's how the Pantheon's dome in Rome has survived so long despite Rome suffering earthquakes regularly. We've found markers on Japanese hillsides that essentially say "don't build below this point", because tsunamis can wipe our those lower regions (and modern Japan had, of course, built below those points and had those locations hit by tsunamis). This stuff's literally all over.

And this is just an open, empty, fearmongering lie. Absolute propaganda bullshit expressed solely to try and prevent action on climate change and to encourage greater harm to human lives.
    'just adapt' and 'use the positive opportunities created by climate change' are koch bro propaganda that @PC2 (and the website in his sig) regualaly spouts. There was a good book called Dark Money by Jane Mayer that delves into it. I'd advise @PC2 to read it and think critically about what he believes but you know...could even link you the 5 finger discount audiobook...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    'There was a good book called Dark Money by Jane Mayer that delves into it. I'd advise @PC2 to read it and think critically about what he believes but you know...could even link you the 5 finger discount audiobook...
    "Think critically?"
    Now that's optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    We should tell all our republican friends this. It might make them actually care about the environment given their hardline stance on babies being made.
    That's a thing I always wonder about: why are conservatives (here in Germany too) so often dismissive of climate change? Shouldn't they try to conservate Mother Earth and her lush meadows how she was 6000 years ago. You would think a bunch of people glorifying the past would go all in on environment preservation.

https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/...53584153935874

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) says climate change will be good for the U.S. because it will be less cold: "Global warming will actually be beneficial ... Why wouldn't we take comfort in that? ... Y'know, concerned if you're in the hot region of Africa ... but we're in good shape."
    It's no wonder that we've done nothing about this when you have absolute retards like Senator Ron Johnson out there with the absolute most deadbrained, counterfactual take.

What an embarrassment of a human being, Wisconsins should be ashamed of themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/HeartlandSignal/...53584153935874

It's no wonder that we've done nothing about this when you have absolute retards like Senator Ron Johnson out there with the absolute most deadbrained, counterfactual take.

What an embarrassment of a human being, Wisconsins should be ashamed of themselves.
    See, it's statements like that why we end up with African nations supporting our enemies...

Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post
    Most decent countries barely met the replacement rate so there is no problem with overpopulation outside or Africa and Asia
    You are saying it as if Africa and Asia doesn't really matter!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Past societies didn't have a scientific revolution which means they weren't constantly creating the kind of knowledge they needed to avoid catastrophes.
    Past societies also didn't help destroy the planet as fast as we have been the last 200 years.
    Last edited by diller; 2023-04-28 at 12:11 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    Past societies also didn't help destroy the planet as fast as we have been the last 200 years.
    My point is that it's a misconception to say that people are destroying the planet. What we are actually doing is transforming the prior natural environment into a life support system for ourselves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    My point is that it's a misconception to say that people are destroying the planet. What we are actually doing is transforming the prior natural environment into a life support system for ourselves.
    Say that to stormsurges in Miami in 10 years.
    - Lars