Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    33,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    And who determines what people cause the harm?
    Commonly known to human societies, these places are called courts. They are operating based on written laws that members of human society are expected to follow. Some people under sections of these laws are commonly flagged by elected members called judges, and followed through by a selected jury, to announce these people to be harmful, destructive, or downright dangerous to the human society they are part of. I was writing it as basic as to include every nation as each has their own handling of these laws, I take it you understand such? On said list would be deliberate murderers, mass murderers, mass rapists, serial assaults, and the likes.
    Last edited by Gehco; 2021-06-21 at 09:16 AM.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Ugh, derailment of the topic, but I would guess members of who directly harming human society. Shouldn't be too difficult to guess then.
    I'm afraid you might have to specify, since we're talking about 3.8 billion people. "Well terrible criminals for example" ok, and who else? Probably still around 3-3.5 billion left to choose who are the right people, as you say, for termination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  3. #43
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    33,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I'm afraid you might have to specify, since we're talking about 3.8 billion people. "Well terrible criminals for example" ok, and who else? Probably still around 3-3.5 billion left to choose who are the right people, as you say, for termination.
    The right people for termination would be said people that are judged harmful, destructive, or dangerous to human society?

    Do read the previous comment if you have further questions.

    As well, my statement was that the idea of a fictional action by a fictional character in a fictional world does sound like a good one if it was more controlled and not a waste of resources. Never fully stated it had to be half the population. Nor have I stated it should be an action to be taken, as I am one person, and one person may hold a belief, an idea, does not need to mean a conclusion of action like such that needs more than one person to handle, which is where Thanos faulters as well.
    Last edited by Gehco; 2021-06-21 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Edited due to misread
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  4. #44
    We're already doing it. This isn't a "what if." Last I heard, plastic is set to outnumber fish in the ocean by 2050? Can't imagine that will be good for the photosynthesizing algae that provide the majority of our oxygen.

    We'll either fix it or die.
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Sylvanas will just give her own head to Tyrande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

  5. #45
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    17,969
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    so what I mean by that is the world has forests (among other things like deserts, mountains, etc) and wild animals.

    What if humans completely destroyed or upended all the forests and other uninhabitable wild areas in favor of making golf courses and resorts and captured and dislocated all the animals for zoo exhibits or entertainment? And at the same time, humanity killed off most of the insect population because they felt it was unpleasant.

    What kind of consequences would we be looking at in this scenario?
    Everything is connected. The trees, insects, and animals. The soil, the oceans, and the sky. It is all needed to sustain life on this planet. If we eliminated 1, the rest would follow. We would all die in a matter of time as we would lack the resources to sustain life.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  6. #46
    It be such a boring fucking world.

    Animals and nature bring so much joy.
    Do you hear the voices too?

  7. #47
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    so what I mean by that is the world has forests (among other things like deserts, mountains, etc) and wild animals.

    What if humans completely destroyed or upended all the forests and other uninhabitable wild areas in favor of making golf courses and resorts and captured and dislocated all the animals for zoo exhibits or entertainment? And at the same time, humanity killed off most of the insect population because they felt it was unpleasant.

    What kind of consequences would we be looking at in this scenario?
    I guess its nice that "humanity" is so united in purpose, too bad that purpose is the end of the world.
    /s

  8. #48
    Science-fiction..
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-06-27 at 06:38 PM.

  9. #49
    If mankind destroys all wildlife, nothing good will ever come of it. We will gradually begin to die, because it will affect all areas of our lives. The problem is not only the trees, which produce oxygen, but also the fact that along with the trees and grass, many animals will die. I think there will be total starvation in the world and we will gradually return to the Stone Age.

  10. #50
    The Patient monkfailz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Honeydew Village.
    Posts
    298
    We wouldn't have any dogs to pet and love.
    Animals/dogs bring so much joy into our lives.
    Puppies are man's best friend.

  11. #51
    Without wild nature, a person will still not be able to survive for a long time. So rather with the wild nature and destroy itself

  12. #52
    it seems to me in this case - just the end

  13. #53
    Someday the creatures on that program will be akin to unicorns and griffins. A fairy-tale bestiary written in past tense, and no one is lifting a finger to stop it.
    ~Raymond Reddington

  14. #54
    The Lightbringer Shakadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,282
    Depends on how exactly you'd "destroy the wild". I'm gonna take this to mean "What would happen to us Humans if we destroyed the wild" in the way OP describes.

    First off: What we need from this planet in order to live is basically oxygen, a means of getting food, a magnetic field, gravity, and a reasonable temperature.

    Oxygen: Unless we also kill off everything in our oceans we would probably be OK, algae produces most of our oxygen. Presumably the grass and whatever else on the golf courses (a hell of a lot of golf courses btw) would produce some oxygen as well. Even if we did kill every single oxygen producing thing on the planet all at once, we'd have enough oxygen remaining in the atmosphere for a couple hundred years, so there'd be some time to come up with some solution.

    Food: This becomes trickier since so much about the ecology and probably weather patterns would change, killing off all the insects is a baaaad idea. Growing food artifically is ofc possible but it would probably lead to mass hunger and a fairly large portion of humanity would probably die before we figure that out.

    Magnetic Field: Not an issue, nothing we do on the surface of this planet will change anything about that.

    Gravity: Not an issue.

    Temperature: Hard to know how that would play out. Presumably carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would increase faster than now, however, killing off most animals and all insects would be a significant reduction in oxygen-consuming-carbon dioxide-producing biomass so it might also go down, I really don't know. More greenhouse gases = higher temps as we all know. However if temps started to rise too much it could be technically solved by a space sunshield to block or redirect some of the Sun's radiation.

    Truly, the biggest issue would be food production due to the insects being gone. Everything else seems possible solvable before we're all dead.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    However if temps started to rise too much it could be technically solved by a space sunshield to block or redirect some of the Sun's radiation.
    If it doesn't exist now then it's science fiction.

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Shakadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If it doesn't exist now then it's science fiction.
    Why's that? Technically it's a relatively simple solution that we could do right now, but it's a matter of cost and quite frankly we're not at a point where investing in such a thing is seen as necessary.
    Renewables are cheaper and more desirable to invest in. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't make a sunshield if we wanted to.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Why's that? Technically it's a relatively simple solution that we could do right now, but it's a matter of cost and quite frankly we're not at a point where investing in such a thing is seen as necessary. Renewables are cheaper and more desirable to invest in. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't make a sunshield if we wanted to.
    And you can't prove it.
    Your thinking is the same as "Primary's" (who cites Star Trek) claiming technology that doesn't exist which is no better than wishful thinking. The whole "Don't worry, we'll figure it out" is a flight of fancy.

  18. #58
    The Lightbringer Shakadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And you can't prove it.
    Your thinking is the same as "Primary's" (who cites Star Trek) claiming technology that doesn't exist which is no better than wishful thinking. The whole "Don't worry, we'll figure it out" is a flight of fancy.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...2.2018.1436360

    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...global-warming

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_sunshade


    The technology exists. It's just a matter of cost and necessity.

  19. #59
    Stay tuned, and find out.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The technology exists. It's just a matter of cost and necessity.
    Much better.
    But you have to know that it won't ever happen in the current political climate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •