Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Waiting for wotlk while enjoying tbc right now, but T5 is taking its time tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Healzerbot View Post
    Am I the only one leveling characters and professions for wrath?

TBC was good back in the day but I loved wrath more and just getting alts up and professions.

I know it would probably be about a year and a half out but is anyone else just sitting on the side lines waiting to get on that boat to boring tundra?
    Yep. I am leveling alts and professions purely in spare time now. Was pretty hardcore in Vanilla, but TBC doesn't interest me at all. WotLK was my favorite time dating back to Beta. The story, questing and of course, Grizzly hills. I hated leaving that zone. I still listen to that zone on Spotify.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started even playing some 9.1 cause of p1 terribly lacking content. With guild vaults, some new reps and two new raids it might be bit better, but its still far away from overall WoTLK enjoyment and a plethora of things to do. Also, PvP is still very bad and is gonna stay so until 3.x

Every "classic" wow release will be the same, some hype for a month or two then everyone moves on. That's what was predicted with classic/TBC and that's what happened... By releasing 2005-2007 games in 2021 that's what you get...

I understood the "hype" for classic and bc classic because these 2 games are completely different from retail. Woltk is the first iteration of the current retail mentality... (LFD/LFR, leveling is fast, easy and easier to reroll), normal raids are a joke, Naxxramas 25 was cleaned THE FIRST WEEK by my semi casual guild, and it lasted one week only because the lag made it unplayable. Heroic dungeons are a walk in the park (no mm+), 10 man raiding is already dead, full AOE in dungeons,...

From my personal pov, i'm not even interested, I killedl LK 25HM several times and got the mount for the "clear ToC Hm with 0 deaths" achievement (THAT was hard yeah lol) before the big pre-cata nerf so I'm good, I "cleared the game"

What made Woltk better than retail ?

And everyone and their moms will play DK because DK were OP the whole xpack

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    i cannot wait for fun heroics, wotlk mage/ret pally, and wotlk raids.
    fun heroics ? Are you sure about that ? You can faceroll every heroic even with blue gear
    Last edited by vashe9; 2021-08-18 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vashe9 View Post
    fun heroics ? Are you sure about that ?
    They probably are serious because they actually had fun. For the first time millions were able to step up and run dungeons without gatekeeping or high stress. Plus, those instances were damned entertaining. Could I watch Ingvar the Plunderer die twice yet again? Yes; yes, I could.

At this point I'm 100% planning to just make a Death Knight, and ride around all of the old zones on the Acherus Deathcharger. 17-year old game and that was the only point at which this triple A studio was capable of animating a horse's gait semi-decently. Something they undid with Cataclysm Beta, much to my dismay.

People believing that WOTLK will have "so much more evergreen content than TBC and Classic and SL" will be in for a nasty surprise though, and I'm awaiting the drama once people's rose-tinted goggles crack.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-08-18 at 10:02 PM.

Not me.

Probably some of the heaviest I have ever played the game, and truly enjoyed my time during WOTLK. The zones, the lore, and everything was a lot of fun.

Can't recreate memories, so I will be passing on a classic Wrath.

i believe people are aware that the wrath content will get stomped pretty fast. like all the other classic content so far. personally for me its about the classes. compared to vanilla and bc the class design is at its pinnacle in wrath. more classes will have atleast 2 or even 3 viable specs in both pve and pvp and theyre also more fun to play imo.
    Last edited by faceblunt; 2021-08-20 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    Not me.

Probably some of the heaviest I have ever played the game, and truly enjoyed my time during WOTLK. The zones, the lore, and everything was a lot of fun.

Can't recreate memories, so I will be passing on a classic Wrath.
    This is the best reason to not play Wrath Classic. If I have really fond memories of something, chances are the 2nd time around will tarnish those memories somewhat.

For me personally I joined the game in Wrath, so I never played TBC. I'm enjoying the hell out of TBC classic right now, it's legitimately blowing me away. I will want to continue playing into Wrath classic because there's a lot of content I never did; I was a complete noob back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    They probably are serious because they actually had fun. For the first time millions were able to step up and run dungeons without gatekeeping or high stress. Plus, those instances were damned entertaining. Could I watch Ingvar the Plunderer die twice yet again? Yes; yes, I could.
    This was obvious when the ICC 5mans came out - people had become really comfortable with heroics, as you said for many of them it was their first 'proper' dungeon experience and it was very accessible - those ICC dungeons were, imo, a big step up in challenge and i think it was the blending of the beginner / casual playerbase with more serious players that caused the drama we all remember from PoS in particular, but also HoR, which early on required reasonably solid understanding of more advanced (for a casual) concepts like Line of Sight pulls, chain pulling through the tunnel before last boss in PoS, etc.

IIRC it was when they made the changes to mob positioning AI as well, and i know that caused issues for less experienced tanks. Overall though, i think this was a net gain for the game as a whole, with many new players learning and growing in those dungeons.

I have seen some say the game died with wrath because it was the beginning of making everything accessible to everyone - I disagree to some extent at least. I agree that Wrath made SOME content more accessible to SOME players, but personally I think thats a good thing, and Wrath got the balance pretty much right. I also agree that recently, the desire to please everyone and encourage everyone to do everything is bad. What I dont agree on is that the small improvements made in wrath are to blame for the current state of the game - i think that thought process is based on some weird slippery slope thought process, while i believe it was a very conscious decision made by the design team to move the game in that direction gradually.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-08-22 at 02:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Personally, I am waiting for Classic Shadowlands

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vashe9 View Post
    Every "classic" wow release will be the same, some hype for a month or two then everyone moves on. That's what was predicted with classic/TBC and that's what happened... By releasing 2005-2007 games in 2021 that's what you get...

I understood the "hype" for classic and bc classic because these 2 games are completely different from retail. Woltk is the first iteration of the current retail mentality... (LFD/LFR, leveling is fast, easy and easier to reroll), normal raids are a joke, Naxxramas 25 was cleaned THE FIRST WEEK by my semi casual guild, and it lasted one week only because the lag made it unplayable. Heroic dungeons are a walk in the park (no mm+), 10 man raiding is already dead, full AOE in dungeons,...

From my personal pov, i'm not even interested, I killedl LK 25HM several times and got the mount for the "clear ToC Hm with 0 deaths" achievement (THAT was hard yeah lol) before the big pre-cata nerf so I'm good, I "cleared the game"

What made Woltk better than retail ?

And everyone and their moms will play DK because DK were OP the whole xpack

- - - Updated - - -

fun heroics ? Are you sure about that ? You can faceroll every heroic even with blue gear
    first off LFD didn't get added until the final major content patch of the expansion cycle, LFR was added in the same time period of cataclysm, so they did not in any way play like the way you're trying to describe, not even close.

second, levelling in TBC was 'easy' by classic standards, so i fail to see where you get this notion that it wasn't easier prior to WOTLK, because it very much was, and with the raid size changes it was clear that TBC was when the devs started to focus on getting people to max lvl as fast possible to get into raiding and removing barriers to entry in TBC, with things like removing attunement requirements later in the expansion, and adding badge gear for the easy catch up, so no WOTLK was NOT the 'start' the 'modern wow mentality' as you put it.

lastly, you couldn't 'faceroll heroics in blue gear' at the launch, some were possible if you cheesed things but most required too much dps that a full group geared only in blues wasn't gonna beat without effort at the start, however i will concede that due to them likely using the 3.3.5 talent/skill change set then dungeons will be significantly easier than they were at launch as a result of this, furthermore, heroic dungeons in wrath were actually 'fun' by most metrics due to the fact that they had some unique and interesting mechanics throughout the zones and actually tied into the zone they were in from a story point of view which considering the time period was rare for WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    and adding badge gear for the easy catch up, so no WOTLK was NOT the 'start' the 'modern wow mentality' as you put it.
    While the 2.4 badge vendor was certainly a step into that direction, i disagree with the notion that it's the critical point.

First off, it was an end of expansion element, not necessarily something that became the norm for WoW.
    Second, even with the badge gear, you couldn't just jump into the latest raid (SWP), it was meant to fill out some pieces, but it's not like your character was equivalent to a character that farmed MH / BT.
    Just by that badge gear, you weren't considered "SWP ready", not even close, it was supposed to help people to progress whatever raid they were progressing through, faster, not outright skip raids for new / returning players.

You still were encouraged to enter previous raids, not use the badge gear to get your foot into the latest raid and then ignore all others.

TotC was really the breaking point here because TotC was so easy that you could complete it with heroic dungeon + badge gear and as it dropped 232 (only 25man Ulduar Hardmodes dropped higher Ilvl), you could easily use this gear to get into 25man, which wasn't that hard, either.
    From TotC and onwards, it pretty much became the norm to ignore anything but the latest raids because the lower difficulties were that undertuned and catchup strong enough that there was just no reason to engage in them anymore.

Even during the first half of Wotlk, the intention was for new players to do Naxx/Sarth/Maly, then step into Ulduar, that progression path died with 3.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    lastly, you couldn't 'faceroll heroics in blue gear' at the launch, some were possible if you cheesed things but most required too much dps that a full group geared only in blues wasn't gonna beat without effort at the start, however i will concede that due to them likely using the 3.3.5 talent/skill change set then dungeons will be significantly easier than they were at launch as a result of this
    Even without the 3.3.5 talents they were utter faceroll.

Keep in mind, you also had a handful of classes / specs that received significant nerfs over the course of Wotlk, DK's and Ret come to mind, which were extremely broken at the launch of Wotlk and were adjusted over time.

Certain healers were also a lot stronger (Wild Growth + CoH didn't have a CD at Wotlk launch, for example).
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-08-23 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    For the first time millions were able to step up and run dungeons without gatekeeping or high stress.
    ....you do realize vanilla dungeons and BC normal mode dungeons existed, right?

wotlk was way easier than BC. seeing how BC classic content is steamrolled ATM, I can only guess what's gonna happen when wotlkC and it's easy heroics dongeons and first raids will be out. players will ask for Ulduar after a few days, tournament and ICC after a couple weeks.... wotlkC content will be burned faster than classic and tbcC combined

Personally I'm looking forward to Wrath, but I think with how the playerbase has evolved, it's going to be a cakewalk clearing content

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I was originally, but not anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real PvP is on the way. Long have we waited.

classic wotlk should be end of classics tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Beuargh View Post
    wotlk was way easier than BC. seeing how BC classic content is steamrolled ATM, I can only guess what's gonna happen when wotlkC and it's easy heroics dongeons and first raids will be out. players will ask for Ulduar after a few days, tournament and ICC after a couple weeks.... wotlkC content will be burned faster than classic and tbcC combined
    Wrath heroics are about on pair with TBC heroics, wrath just have a much higher ilvl scaling + everyone has aoe tanking and aoe damage capability.

Naxx is about on pair with Kara. Malygos is harder then Maggy.

As soon as Ulduar comes along with HM's TBC is left in the dust difficulty wise.
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2021-08-24 at 06:25 AM.