Has your doctor / dentist / medical practitioner ever screwed up?

For me, many times.

1. I had crooked teeth growing up. Had braces TWICE. They could never straighten my teeth. Fortunately, they were in the back but some molars are like a 45 degree angle or something.
    2. I had horrific abdominal pain once as a kid, to the point I was rolling on the ground in agony. Dad rushes me to hospital. I'm put in a waiting room. I'm rolling around in agony on the floor in there in front of like a dozen people for 20 minutes before they see me.
    3. Dentist said I had a cavity during a checkup. I returned to get it fixed. He starts drilling it, then looks puzzled. Tries again. Stops. Looks puzzled. After a few more times, he realizes its not a cavity but an old filling he put it some years before that tricked him. So I went home.
    4. Had an awful time with sore throats as a kid. Went to doctors for decades. None could ever figure it out. Eventually I found the cure on my own: use mouthwash every day.
    5. Had a fungal infection. Kept going to the doctor. Kept giving me a variety of treatments. Nothing worked. Damn thing lasted years until I found a doctor that fixed the problem with the correct medication.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I got cat scratch fever when I was 5 and a doctor convinced my family I had bone cancer. Litterially a few weeks before I was going to start radiation treatment he recommended we get a second opinion and.. well.. yeah.

At least he bowed out before pumping me full of posion. I doubt that would happen nowadays because of that wonderful cash out they could get for pushing as much chemicals out as possible to collect that sweet, sweet insurance money (door now open to shift the convo to how we so bad I know).

Not me but this one was my dad. My dad was out mowing the lawn. He felt severe shortness of breath and tiredness. So he goes to the doctor. They run a full checkup. Comes back with a clean bill of health. So he goes home. But he still doesn't feel right. So he decides to get a second opinion from a completely different doctor. Tests come back QUINTUPLE BYPASS SURGERY NOW! OPERATE OR DIE!
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few years ago I had a root canal done and the dentist injected the anesthesia in the wrong spot. After about 15-20 minutes of him removing my nerves with a drill, he finally noticed that I was not numb to the pain and gave me another shot. I hadn't said anything since I assumed that they were supposed to hurt despite the anesthetics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once a dentist tried to take a teeth out without any real reason. I still have the teeth and doesn't bug me, but i never went to see a dentist again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    5. Had a fungal infection. Kept going to the doctor. Kept giving me a variety of treatments. Nothing worked. Damn thing lasted years until I found a doctor that fixed the problem with the correct medication.
    Those things are hard to treat, i had the same exact problem, except i didn't changed doctor, my problem was solved. Flotiran is the best med for those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Those things are hard to treat, i had the same exact problem, except i didn't changed doctor, my problem was solved. Flotiran is the best med for those things
    I think you should get an achievement for this, it's nearly impossible to put more inane things in a sentence that's meant to be serious.

1. Those things are generally easy to treat but hard to diagnose.
    2. You most likely had a similar problem not the exact same problem (that would be exceptionally unlikely).
    3. Flotiran is a creme product intended for dermatological use (for use on skin) not the actual active ingredient which are: betamethasone dipropionate (corticosteroid) and clotrimazole (antifungal agent). There are many many different kinds of products with these ingredients.

Even if you were a doctor (which you clearly aren't) saying x medication is good is just bad practice. Say that it helped you, don't elevate it to something that it's not. Some fungal infections can't be treated with clotrimazole. Rubbing Flotiran on it would cause it to alleviate some of your symptoms because of the betamethasone dipropionate, but the infection would still spread and you'd basically be shooting yourself in the foot.

Sure, they're humans after all and some are better at their jobs than others. It sucks when they screw up, but while medicine may be based in science it's not exactly an exact science when it comes to treating patients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    1. Those things are generally easy to treat but hard to diagnose.
    I was properly diagnosed, except like the OP, i didn't responded to the medication.

2. You most likely had a similar problem not the exact same problem (that would be exceptionally unlikely).
    Correct, my mistake, still my problem i amongst the most common, i presumed, my mistake.

3. Flotiran is a creme product intended for dermatological use (for use on skin) not the actual active ingredient which are: betamethasone dipropionate (corticosteroid) and clotrimazole (antifungal agent). There are many many different kinds of products with these ingredients.
    That was the med i reponded to, doctor tried another.

Even if you were a doctor (which you clearly aren't)
    Didn't said anywhere i was.

saying x medication is good is just bad practice.
    Agreed, since my problem was amongst the most common, and actually hard to treat, i assume i presumed (something i rarely do) wrong. I just had a bad experience with that thing.

Say that it helped you, don't elevate it to something that it's not. Some fungal infections can't be treated with clotrimazole. Rubbing Flotiran on it would cause it to alleviate some of your symptoms because of the betamethasone dipropionate, but the infection would still spread and you'd basically be shooting yourself in the foot.
    As i said before i assumed wrong, after all my problem was quite common, and presented me some dificulties, and Flotiran did helped me, but again my mistake, it won't happen again.

As a kid once my doctor had a nurse who was....well endowed and once she had a accident where i saw down her shirt and there was no bra (i mean like what nurse does not wear a bra!!) .

It was my first real boob!

what an experience as a kid i tell you!! Still remember it almost weekly as an adult 40 years later.

Anywhoo, only doctor to screw up was an emergency doctor who tried to stich me up thinking i actually had a local before the local was even done. Not good thing to do to a young teenager who hadn't really experienced real pain up to that point in life.

Nothing else major except the dentist who gave me too much gas, what a trip. I miss the days of getting gas at the dentist, injections are boring.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Sure, they're humans after all and some are better at their jobs than others. It sucks when they screw up, but while medicine may be based in science it's not exactly an exact science when it comes to treating patients.
    Who are you talking to? You are completely off-topic. Sounds like you are trolling. Shoo.