Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You really like to put pics and vids on your posts huh.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Hot damn that's a lot of pictures. It's also true, Garrosh was the best Warchief the playable WoW Horde ever had. Despite being dicked by anything from the racial leaders who opposed him from Day 1, a narrative that pretended Cataclysm and big parts of Wrath didn't happen to cast Theramore as anything but a logical, reciprocal move and horrendous writing from Tides of War up to 5.1, he managed to end his time in the franchise twice over in a proper way.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-07-09 at 09:30 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

unworthy of his legendary father

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    As I wrote above - we don't see them no longer or they've changed.

How can you even talk about Turalyon and Malfurion? We didn't see them in SL.
    Like I said, the ones that are still relevant? You simply ignore because you don't like them.

If you seriously don't like a single male character in a game where the cast is PREDOMINANTLY MALE, I think that says more about issues on your end than anything wrong with the game itself

Fingers crossed for Turalyon to turn into Garrosh 2.0 (or maybe even Varian 2.0) in the next expac, but something tells me that he will be turned into a henpecked husband by modern writers. We'll see.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    you are just crazy , i will save this article , you are really amazing and i dont know how to thank you for your work on this .

as you can see the character is literlally the most badass . but the non-sense writing in pandaria made it fall down to shit .

anyway really made me happy reading through this , thank you !

10+ Year Old Account
    I will never forgive him, or Magatha, for killing Cairne. And for bombing Theramore. But the Cairne deal takes the cake.

Rot in hell, red guy. Or in super-hell, since you apparently vanished from hell in that cutscene.

bombing theramore was his greatest achievement
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Garrosh was a tool but at least he owned being a tool.

That's more than can be said for a certain someone's bodypillow.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    I love how this post blablantly ignores all the flaws, mistakes, failures and not so glorious details or moments of Garrosh's life and actions.
    Every moment Garrosh was on screen I just facepalmed hard, and he was responsible for some of the worst plotlines in the game's history, but somehow the fanbase loves the short-tempered bully for a reason. Go figure. At least now he got the end he deserved, being reduced to ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyiandris View Post
    Every moment Garrosh was on screen I just facepalmed hard, and he was responsible for some of the worst plotlines in the game's history, but somehow the fanbase loves the short-tempered bully for a reason. Go figure. At least now he got the end he deserved, being reduced to ash.
    Man, when you finally play BFA and SL you're in for a wild ride
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

That is too much to read in its entirety for me right now, but i do wish to add positively to this commemoration, as i do greatly appreciate his character, even if i do not consider him morally good.

His most memorable lines to me are two: "I WILL HAVE MY WORLD!" during the SoO encounter, and "Times change." during the WoD cinematic.

Both are emblematic of a character that stands, above all else, for change, inevitibility and willpower. He was not a morally good character, but he did do what he considered right, "good on his own terms" so to speak.

He sought to be better than Grom and hated what he knew as corruption at all costs; the fel, demons, and by association, the Scourge.
    But he is not a wise character, and well written as such, as he clearly did not recognise that the essence of corruption is not something that comes from any particular power or even power itself, as was nicely underscored in Pandaria.

Then in WoD his lack of wisdom did not allow him to overtly learn that lesson, but he did not return to the old gods or its like in practice (even if he did force Ner'zhul towards the void) and nonetheless sought to change matters and bring his will to reality.

Funnily enough that does make him a genuinely sort of morally grey character, as though he clearly did do plenty of evil it is still understandable from a different moral perspective, of which many exist.
    I presume that this is also the reason why he is a somewhat divisive character, as few enough posess the capacity to genuinely see beyond their own/their group's moral perspective, and can respond quite defensively when the absoluteness of that morality is called into question (by, in example, showing that there are different moral systems in existence, and that adhering to one does not preclude one from comitting atrocities).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyiandris View Post
    The best Garrosh moments in the past (at least for me) were in the questing zones of the old world. In Silverpine Forest, despite being gruff he did have morale lines he would not cross, nor did he want others to cross... this is especially noted with Sylvannas doing such immoral things behind his back because Garrosh forbid her actions. His sense of morality is further shown in Stonetalon Mountains, where again he lets it know that there are some lines you do not cross, and he ended up making his own people who didn't adhere to such morale lines pay for it.

When you start going deeper into MoP, it does take a turn for the absurd, and I think it's a classic case of Blizz writers need to get from Point A (tough but principled Garrosh) to Point B (3rd Reich Garrosh)... and not paying attention or caring how the story got there. In some respects, I think it's a reflection of the writers in how they make the narrative journey, as it's not a case of them accidentally making narrative mistakes along the way... but it's literally how they see people and think that's how someone would realistically get to the end-point. It's like how we were told that some of Sylvannas's actions in the past were morally grey by the writers, yet any common sense person would say "Um.... no." The general retort is "Well you don't have enough context yet!", and my reply is that there are some things that the context does not matter if you have any sense or morality or code of honor (especially if it has been shown before). And usually, the context doesn't help matters anyways when it comes to the narrative. Simply put, the writers really think the actions of their written narratives are realistic and believable, when a normal person would immediately see otherwise.

To bring this back around to Garrosh: his characterization and actions in the early questing zones actually does a good job of establishing a "tough, but fair" Garrosh with a code he will live by... it's the writing leading up to his downfall that's written in an absurd fashion and ignoring his base character. His death scene actually does more justice to his characterization in the questing zones than everything leading up to that moment, as he really was "For the Horde!" through and through, believing in his code non-apologetically. Even before his literal confrontations with Thrall, Garrosh probably did think Thrall was too weak and accommodating towards an Alliance who didn't have the Horde's best interest at heart.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Garrosh isn't that great of a character, but overall he is one of the better handled character. His fall and turn into a villain could have been handled far far better than it was. They made it too obvious that there was going to be a Horde Civil War in Cataclysm.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It seems like people wanted Sir Garrosh. A monocole and tuxedo-wearing, tea-sipping, polite-speaking Orc.

I don't get people sometimes...
    What makes you think that?

He has been exactly how I expected him. A villain with no regard for anyone but himself, even after years of being tortured for his crimes still believing he was right and that any of the bullshit he pulled was "For the Horde". It just shows that some people cannot be redeemed, because they have no redeemable qualities.

I simply and correctly stated that despite this 89% of the Horde posters in this forum would gladly take him back and make him Warchief again. While the guy he cries about so much, Thrall, who not only founded the modern Horde but also saved it (and Garrosh) several times over, will be verbally abused for not being a merciless psychopath.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Man, when you finally play BFA and SL you're in for a wild ride
    He isn't wrong tho. Indirectly, It's garrosh's fault that legion happened (no AU gul'dan = no legion invasion) and the faction war in bfa (no giant sword = no war for azerite). Aside from that, old god stuff and sylvanas going apeshit can't (in)directly be attributed to him. Although, vol'jin wouldn't have died (as soon), which would have left blizz to make an alternate route to sylvanas as warchief, if we take into account that shadowlands was in the planning at the time of legion. Also, don't forget that it's garrosh's direct fault that we had one of the single worst expansions with wod, to me this was unforgivable (as in, blizz should have never played the AU card).

Other than that, I still think he was one of, if not the absolute worst warchief of the horde. rampant stupidity, hypocritical 'honor' and mistreatment of the horde does not make one a worthy warchief. The only thing that this post really shows, is that at least he was consistent in his attitude and demeanor. I can't understand why people like characters who consist of nothing nut flaws, but to each their own I guess.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Rest in power, king. A badass from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Thrall, who not only founded the modern Horde but also saved it (and Garrosh) several times over, will be verbally abused for not being a merciless psychopath.
    Because initially, Thrall very much fought for his people, despite the Orcs being huge assholes.

Modern lore however dictates that even early on, Thrall felt the urge to make his people suffer for it, the choice to live in a very hostile desert was done as "repentance" for the crimes of the Horde.
    That's a point where it crosses the line for me, it was back in Warcraft 3 implied that Thrall chose Durotar because it's simliar to Draenor (as it was called the "Red World" in Warcraft 2), where the decision to live there makes sense.
    Even if you want to spin it in a "living in a harsh enviroment makes us stronger", also would've been fine as it very much suited the Orcs.

However, the concept of collectively punishing people (and by extension, their children) by living in an enviroment where Orcs cannot prosper without outside aid (as anything but the most basic goods had to be imported) is a line too far.
    And that was essentially the turning point for Garrosh, a point that was never really picked up by his critics who usually just went "War is not good, okay?" without ever providing alternative solution to the problems the Orcs faced.

Sylvanas over here serving Super Satan because she's afraid to die and meanwhile Garrosh obliterates his own soul before serving anyone. Rest in peace best warchief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Villain ended up being villain to the end.

The guy's practically a Warcraft version of Hitler. I hope this is the last we hear of him.