Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/bombing-cub...-mayor-1609437

Yo @TexasRules, how do you feel about a Republican mayor open to the idea of starting a war with Cuba?
    gl getting an answer, he supposedly will be gone a month before he comes back to troll flame ruffle feathers

plus you know, it showing yet another case of republicans suddenly deciding now something is bad cause a democrat in power was ok with it
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

LOL my eyes do fool me....every so often... But I sware i just read on fox and dmail that the right is upset they refuse to let cuban illegals into this country because they vote republican.

Wow its just amazing this generation of angry old republicans, its just too easy to predict their stance on anything.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Easy solution: stop genocide.

US blocking an entire country, preventing them from getting food and medicine, is genocide.
    Uh???

a) Food and medicine aren't part of the embargo

b) Cuba is free to trade with any other country it pleases.

There are a lot of arguments against the cuban embargo but the situation of Cuba is mostly its own mismanagement

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Uh???

a) Food and medicine aren't part of the embargo

b) Cuba is free to trade with any other country it pleases.

There are a lot of arguments against the cuban embargo but the situation of Cuba is mostly its own mismanagement
    Medicine absolutely was part of the embargo for decades, unless it changed recently. There are Canadian organizations that will set you up with a suitcase packed with pharmaceuticals, if you're visiting Cuba, it's all arranged with customs and the airlines, you just tell Cuban customs which bag is medicine transport on arrival.

My parents participated when they went, so while it's not firsthand knowledge, it's damn close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Medicine absolutely was part of the embargo for decades, unless it changed recently. There are Canadian organizations that will set you up with a suitcase packed with pharmaceuticals, if you're visiting Cuba, it's all arranged with customs and the airlines, you just tell Cuban customs which bag is medicine transport on arrival.

My parents participated when they went, so while it's not firsthand knowledge, it's damn close.
    Uhhh The Embargo has changed a few times since it's inception. The latest was "Trade Sanction Reform and Export Enhancement Act" from 2000. The relaxation allowed the sale of agricultural goods and medicine to Cuba.

The act was signed by the neo-liberal-devil-himself, Bill Clinton /s.
    It's easy to joke about Anti-Communists being stuck in the 1960's, because they're super obvious about it. But the are also awkward moments when anti-imperialist, also show they are stuck fighting 1960's battles.

The important thing is to recognize that Cuba and its people do have their own agency that they are trying to express.

Cubans have been dealing with the embargo for 60 years, why the protest now? The last time they had protests of this size was in the 90s when the USSR collapsed, and had trouble importing goods and services.

Remember Cuba does have internal agency.
    • Within those past 20 years they created a dual currency program. You had local pesos and convertible pesos(CUCs). The state controlled which jobs got access to the CUCs. Hence all those anecdotes about bellhops earning more money than brain surgeons. The state also controlled stores where CUCs could be used. Allowing the state to control and hover in any hard currency earned on the side or through remittances. This authoritarian system created some internal resentment.
    • The Cuban govt decided that it was going to finally merge the two pesos and give the new peso a peg to the dollar with more convertibility. They set out to do it at the start of 2021.
    • In itself, this a very hard thing to pull off. COVID made it way worse by throttling the tourism industry. A major source of hard currency. Also, COVID made imports more expensive due to cost-increases in global logistics.
    • It's a recipe that led to hyperinflation and economic unrest.

Also Canal Diaz has an innate legitimacy problem, because he's not named Castro.
    Cuba experienced a number of smaller protests this year. Like N27 complaining about state control, or afro Cubans protesting against police brutality.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2021-07-14 at 04:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Uhhh The Embargo has changed a few times since it's inception. The latest was "Trade Sanction Reform and Export Enhancement Act" from 2000. The relaxation allowed the sale of agricultural goods and medicine to Cuba.
    Yeah, except my parents' trip to Cuba was years later. There are still embargoes on some medicines, even if it was somewhat relaxed in 2000.

I don't know how the embargo may have changed since their trip, but there's a reason we have active groups organizing this effort. Multiple organizations, in fact. https://www.chroniclejournal.com/opi...a37d1266c.html

It has to be done this way because Canada can't sell medicines directly to Cuba, because it would violate the American embargo and our treaty agreements with the USA.

Cubans have been dealing with the embargo for 60 years, why the protest now? The last time they had protests of this size was in the 90s when the USSR collapsed, and had trouble importing goods and services.
    African-Americans have been dealing with murderous police for literally as long as there have been police (I would've said 400 years, but police forces don't date back that far). Some of the earliest police analogues were created to recapture escaped slaves. And yet, the Black Lives Matter protests still occurred.

Same difference, really. Sometimes, there's a crack in the wall, or things just get that little bit too far, and the situation erupts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cubans have been dealing with the embargo for 60 years, why the protest now?
    Same reason folks claiming the Chile riots were over train fares were missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Same reason folks claiming the Chile riots were over train fares were missing the point.

400 dollars minimum wage is a really good minimum wage for the region.

https://es.statista.com/estadisticas...sual-por-pais/

I am getting the feeling that the infographic was made by an american that hasn't set foot in Latin America or a Chilean living abroad.

- - - Updated - - -

The act was signed by the neo-liberal-devil-himself, Bill Clinton /s.
    It's easy to joke about Anti-Communists being stuck in the 1960's, because they're super obvious about it. But the are also awkward moments when anti-imperialist, also show they are stuck fighting 1960's battles.

The important thing is to recognize that Cuba and its people do have their own agency that they are trying to express.

Remember Cuba does have internal agency.
    • Within those past 20 years they created a dual currency program. You had local pesos and convertible pesos(CUCs). The state controlled which jobs got access to the CUCs. Hence all those anecdotes about bellhops earning more money than brain surgeons. The state also controlled stores where CUCs could be used. Allowing the state to control and hover in any hard currency earned on the side or through remittances. This authoritarian system created some internal resentment.
    • The Cuban govt decided that it was going to finally merge the two pesos and give the new peso a peg to the dollar with more convertibility. They set out to do it at the start of 2021.
    • In itself, this a very hard thing to pull off. COVID made it way worse by throttling the tourism industry. A major source of hard currency. Also, COVID made imports more expensive due to cost-increases in global logistics.
    • It's a recipe that led to hyperinflation and economic unrest.

Also Canal Diaz has an innate legitimacy problem, because he's not named Castro.
    Cuba experienced a number of smaller protests this year. Like N27 complaining about state control, or afro Cubans protesting against police brutality.
    Adding to this the poor management of COVID has deffo worsened existing discontents with the government

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    400 dollars minimum wage is a really good minimum wage for the region.
    Unless it's livable, it's insufficient.

Good to know that you're willing to ignore all the other bullshit so you can get your silly anti-minimum wage potshot in, though. Classy.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    gl getting an answer, he supposedly will be gone a month before he comes back to troll flame ruffle feathers

plus you know, it showing yet another case of republicans suddenly deciding now something is bad cause a democrat in power was ok with it
    I don't answer half the people on this board because I am usually banned by the censors or I have one way thinking people on ignore. Everyone here says I support Trump and can never show a post proving it, I ignore those people because they think one way and have no facts. I like how you self edit becaus eyou know if you call someone for trolling you get banned, nice try at not saying it, but I get it.

Going to answer this thread with a Cuban American with a platform, he's a celebrity so he must beta ken seriously like all the democrat party celebrities you guys tout.
    https://twitter.com/pitbull/status/1...772993024?s=21
    This is a message to the world. We need to stand up, step up. But if you don’t understand what’s going on, then you need to wake the fuck up.

Not only is this a Cuba event, a Cuba thing, this is a world event, this isn’t about politics, this is about saving lives. This is about unity, not division. And bottom line this is about taking action.

It frustrates me, to a certain extent, being a Cuban-American and having a platform to speak to the world and not being able to help my own people. Not being able to get them food, not being able to get them water, not being able to get them medicine. But most of all not being able to help and really get them what they deserve which is freedom.

So, to everybody out there, stand up, step up and if you don’t understand, Get with the motherfucking program and wake up. Cause this is about freedom and it’s about human rights. And to everybody in Cuba keep the fight up.
    Yep pandemic, me taking things out of context, totally about the pandemic. I see some people shoot the messenger(me) and say nothing about the problem. Others contribute to an actual discussion, either way, when pressed on it today, Psaki would not utter the word communism. It is plainly what is causing these problems, but I guess that's me taking her out of context because she won't say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Yep pandemic, me taking things out of context, totally about the pandemic. I see some people shoot the messenger(me) and say nothing about the problem. Others contribute to an actual discussion, either way, when pressed on it today, Psaki would not utter the word communism. It is plainly what is causing these problems, but I guess that's me taking her out of context because she won't say it.
    Can you do better than plagiarizing Peter Doocy from Fox news?

Yah its "communism" and not corrupt dictators and Politian's. Yup....communism....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

oh my god. this is nothing but "RADICAL. ISLMAIC. TERRORISM!" except swap out Islam and put in communism. can conservatives come up with any new way to criticize politicians?

he's a celebrity so he must beta ken seriously
    Since fuckin when? Why should I take his take any more seriously than Ja Rule's take on 9/11?

Did you just Dave Chapelle this fuckin thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone here says I support Trump and can never show a post proving it
    Since you asked.

Whoops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Since you asked.

Whoops.
    But that's not a post, that's a poll vote. You still can't find a post saying he supports trump.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    But that's not a post, that's a poll vote. You still can't find a post saying he supports trump.
    Could show the guy a copy of his actual election vote and he'd still probably deny supporting Trump.

15+ Year Old Account
    please quote my misinformation when i link directly from a Washington post article and the twitter of a government secretary. Please indulge me with my misinformation, what exactly did i link that was incorrect?
    All of it.

Obama opened up talks with Cuba to begin the process of moving towards freedom. YOUR BOY Trump shut those down and made everything go in reverse. Cuba asks for freedom AND vaccines, and you're framing it as if cuba is asking for freedom and the Biden admin is giving them vaccines instead. Seriously dude, can you make a post without stretching the truth, fabricating, lying, or just in general spreading misinformation all in your crusade to pathetically attempt to make Democrats look bad?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Could show the guy a copy of his actual election vote and he'd still probably deny supporting Trump.
    Yeah. I'm sure I would be ashamed to admit it, too. But then again, "Trumpster" and "shame" doesn't go well together, now does it? Rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...ryu-story.html

Uh oh, it seems like DeSantis wants to try to have these protesters avoid the new laws passed that were supposed to target liberal protesters.