Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What if dreamhaven buys wow

This might not be logical but what if dreamhaven buys wow from activision-blizzard, can that save wow? I mean its pretty obvious that wow is in pretty bad place rn, its even worse then wod and bfa.

They don't have the money. And even if they did you don't want 60 year olds in charge of a video game. This has to be handled by young people that reboot the entire Warcraft franchise entirely; just retell the story with a better light; you can't improve Tolkien but you can make a good LotR movie without having to write LotR 2 yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    and then what, same problem in a few years? the wow creators will die some day, it will be up to someone else to beat it, and they can't do a "copy" it has to be something new

people have to understand that there's such thing as a game that is done/finished

we keep playing retro games because they're good, they'll always be around and be preserved

this is the fate of wow, it will never die, but at one point we have to stop trying to beat a dead horse

the BEST step for everyone is that either dreamhaven or blizzard creates something new. wow 2 can be considered as something new, and would be refreshing if done right, new generations will never play wow 1 even if they change it completely, all it will do is make wow 1 players go away

the sooner you realize wow is completed as a game the easier it will be

don't expect "life changing content"

wow peaked long ago and it's very nice that way

just like rareware, squaresoft, and many others

just enjoy what exists, there's already more content and games than what we can experience in a lifetime

wow retail nowadays is just bonus content, built around the core game that will always be there untouched because people have deep nostalgia for those places, so they keep doing alts, get gold, complete their collections, hardcore players stick because high level pve and pvp is challenging hence rewarding but those parts could exist without any new zones (except the instance)
    Last edited by Cæli; 2021-07-14 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    They don't have the money. And even if they did you don't want 60 year olds in charge of a video game. This has to be handled by young people that reboot the entire Warcraft franchise entirely; just retell the story with a better light; you can't improve Tolkien but you can make a good LotR movie without having to write LotR 2 yourself.
    Ageist !

If they could've raised that much money on their own to do that, don't you think they would've done it while at Blizzard?

"Buys WoW"

*Laughs in capitalism*
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by blokkin View Post
    This might not be logical but what if dreamhaven buys wow from activision-blizzard, can that save wow? I mean its pretty obvious that wow is in pretty bad place rn, its even worse then wod and bfa.
    They would be shotting themselves in foot. It's not a good decision from any possible point of view after MoP->WoD->(Legion+BfA)->SL rollercoaster
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    After TBC I think it should be clear that if WoW returns to old way, game would be murdered in few weeks. Hell, I think almost all SL design problems came from trying to go this way (trying 'hard' world content in maw, let loot be loot, rare gear drops, raid or die).

This is like asking "What if the local pizzeria buys Microsoft?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    After TBC I think it should be clear that if WoW returns to old way, game would be murdered in few weeks. Hell, I think almost all SL design problems came from trying to go this way (trying 'hard' world content in maw, let loot be loot, rare gear drops, raid or die).
    SL and TBC are fundamentally different games, maw was never hard just annoying and unfun, raid(mythic+) or die existed since forever: professions have been a joke for a decade

Given that most of those people are responsible for the current state of WoW, probably not.

I'm afraid the rot set in long before they all left Blizzard.

Only thing they could do is to buy rights to use Warcraft IP in their own game. WoW is a liability because currently lot's of it's income comes from shop, so ActiBlizz would certainly wouldn't sell it cheap because they can make that money. If you don't want to have mounts/pets/tokens in shop they would have to make the money back from sub money/box price (don't forget, ActiBlizz would ask for a price in mind with what they make from the shop) which probably would lead to less content/higher sub price/having cash shop/selling patch content or any combination of those.

I doubt that they are able to and I hope they won't. I'd rather see something new to come out of this studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    If they could've raised that much money on their own to do that, don't you think they would've done it while at Blizzard?
    No, the whole point of Dreamhaven is to move away from huge budget games with Legions of fans hoping to have their diverse expectations met.

No, but seriously how many billions of dollars do people think Activision Blizzard value the warcraft IP at? We're talking about WoW which with some napkin math has probably made around over 30 billion dollars since its inception, Hearthstone which basically prints money, WCIII which is enduringly popular in china to this day, all of the merchandising and a feature film.

Bethesda is probably worth less than the Warcaft IP alone and that sold for 7.5B (plus whatever we and the tax man don't hear about). Where is dreamhaven (a company with no products and no revenue) going to get that sort of VC?
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Given that most of those people are responsible for the current state of WoW, probably not.

I'm afraid the rot set in long before they all left Blizzard.
    This.

While I'm not as negative about the state of WoW, I do find it funny that the very same people spearheaded some of the arguably shittiest WoW iterations, lore farts, content and systems we have to this day for years are now being looked upon as if they are some sort of complete saints.

You have a lot of talented people there, but they are also the ones who pulled out shit like Saturday morning cartoon villain Lich King, ToTGC, Cata and countless storylines that make people scratch their heads. These are the guy who have very well created MUCH of the stuff people QQ about nowadays.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blokkin View Post
    with what money? they havent even made a single game yet, or even announced a game, right now dreamhaven has literally nothing to show, and are no where near being able to afford to "buy wow"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    What if dream Haven is blizzard, but without the "bad" rep.
    love WoWarcraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    This is like asking "What if the local pizzeria buys Microsoft?"
    Yeah well as op said it might not be logical. This is just a "what if" type of speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would Blizzard sell the IP? Even if this were a solid idea—it isn't—they wouldn't be buying just the title but the entire IP which includes Warcraft, Hearthstone, characters from Overwatch and other things.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."