Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Steve Danuser: "it's a little unclear how Necromancy works"

"I will address this in future content"

https://www.wowhead.com/news/steve-d...ands-vs-323425

Prepare for a future retcon.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a little unclear how most things in WoW currently work, but you have to start somewhere.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Making an expansion about the afterlife was a mistake, 9.0 should have been about N'Zoth's Black Empire.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Making an expansion about the afterlife was a mistake, 9.0 should have been about N'Zoth's Black Empire.
    But how were they going to shove Sylvanas in our throats then??

This is powerfully true.

Also his twitter explanation is actually less coherent than what's in game on the topic right now.

@Overlordd

Easy, make her an Old God puppet instead of one of the bald man. Then you can excuse her rampant retardation with mental corruption.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    By having her merge with the World Soul of Azeroth and become an Azerite Goddess then having her kill N'Zoth.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

By having her merge with the World Soul of Azeroth and become an Azerite Goddess then having her kill N'Zoth.
    Why not? We spent over 12 years of lore about the chosen one and his golden eyes only to have him say “nah I’m good”

Exactly

Blizzard has really not got their pulse on what matters.

daloser is unclear on how his own ass works.

The same way they force Jaina and God-king Anduin down our throats at every chance they can get.

this is the problem with making an expansion based in the afterlife, it raises to many questions and plot holes, and head aches like are the beasts we kill in bastion all the souls of dead people?

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    "I will address this in future content"

https://www.wowhead.com/news/steve-d...ands-vs-323425

Prepare for a future retcon.
    This is why they shouldn't have retconned the original magic system in the first place. Necromancy was fine when it was a dark form of arcane magic, before all this convoluted "opposing force" nonsense they shoved into the cosmology.

It added depth and multidimensionality to the arcane, and it was just more open ended and less confusing than what we have now.

But real talk; how the hell do you make an expansion about death without fleshing out the lore for death MAGIC? It is so clear they're making shit up as they go.
    Some people really like flavor. Occasionally subsisting on nutrient paste just doesn't feel the same as eating a steak. I get that flavor isn't for everyone, but I doubt removing all cosmetic indicators from the game would be appealing either. Nobody want to log in, queue to fight modestly sized blue checked box boss #7, initiate combat using an attack sequence of abilities 1-7 with a 13 beat repeat coda intermittently, and collect item level 630 slot 7 gear either.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Also his twitter explanation is actually less coherent than what's in game on the topic right now.
    What's super weird is you also see people linking quests like Double Tap on Twitter, which implies there's a risk of Necrolord soldiers being risen from the dead. Unless the purpose is to ensure they cannot rise into mindless undead? Alternatively, given we see the Necrolords stitch abominations together and they appear to have personalities, and if memory serves there is even an abomination created by using the corpses of Kyrians, which I believe had some amalgam of their consciousnesses. It really gets your noggin joggin'.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    What's super weird is you also see people linking quests like Double Tap on Twitter, which implies there's a risk of Necrolord soldiers being risen from the dead. Unless the purpose is to ensure they cannot rise into mindless undead? Alternatively, given we see the Necrolords stitch abominations together and they appear to have personalities, and if memory serves there is even an abomination created by using the corpses of Kyrians, which I believe had some amalgam of their consciousnesses. It really gets your noggin joggin'.
    This is an Afrasiabi "Outland is a death titan" tier throw-away comment that you shouldn't bother with. This aspect of the expansion is actually among the most easy to grasp and logical so for the life of me I don't know why he bothered with a more confusing, less detailed and contradictory explanation. In Maldraxxus, the soul and body are imperfectly connected so the soul can go into other bodies on death. It's actually a fun spin on how necromancy in general works in a setting where that kind of thing has zero drawback.

Like I said, don't think about it too hard, Danuser certainly didn't. Multiple quests in Maldraxxus and the voice lines of dead enemies allude to the fact that when they die they go into other bodies. That's the whole premise of the zone in fact and why they can kill each other in the Theatre of Pain and maintain mass. Hell, Mograine and Vashj even discuss why they chose/made their individual forms.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-07-19 at 01:20 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

and trying to explain how it works will mess the story even further. just like explaing how death works, this kind of stuff just generally doesn't work
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

This is powerfully true.

@Overlordd

Easy, make her an Old God puppet instead of one of the bald man. Then you can excuse her rampant retardation with mental corruption.
    So you have trubble with the story now but would have been happy with yet another she have been corrupted.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's amazing how little thought goes into the story. They decide to go to the land of the dead but still have Necromancy.
    How did no one at the room of story 'writers' catch this

Or any other of the terrible and confusing decisions
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Wait wtf. I'm having a literal deja vu with the OP and the first reply. Like, for a moment I thought it was some old thread.

Am i the only one who thinks practically anyone in the WoW community would be better writers than the ones we have for WoW? They don't have an iota of testosterone on the entire team, and they haven't really added anything special to WoW's story.... but rather deconstructed and made lesser the works of SUPERIOR writers who came before.

If you have to rely on de-constructing someone else's work, rather than building your own narratives... you are a writer in name only.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is an Afrasiabi "Outland is a death titan" tier throw-away comment that you shouldn't bother with. This aspect of the expansion is actually among the most easy to grasp and logical so for the life of me I don't know why he bothered with a more confusing, less detailed and contradictory explanation. In Maldraxxus, the soul and body are imperfectly connected so the soul can go into other bodies on death. It's actually a fun spin on how necromancy in general works in a setting where that kind of thing has zero drawback.

Like I said, don't think about it too hard, Danuser certainly didn't. Multiple quests in Maldraxxus and the voice lines of dead enemies allude to the fact that when they die they go into other bodies. That's the whole premise of the zone in fact and why they can kill each other in the Theatre of Pain and maintain mass. Hell, Mograine and Vashj even discuss why they chose/made their individual forms.
    I'm not entirely sure that this is just another throw-away comment. We see lots of references to death in the Shadowlands being equated to "true death" or a "final death" or some iteration of that, with the focus being on characters like Kel'Thuzad, Garrosh, etc.; prominent characters who will die this expansion are considered permanently dead (at least, until a retcon occurs). The idea of the Maldraxxi or other forces of death that we're acquainted with being semi exempt from these rules doesn't seem to apply, especially considering that characters like Margrave Krexus was a Maldraxxi and died (that said, some special exemptions from this appear to apply, such as the fate of the House of Plagues), and there has been no consideration of bringing him back from the dead. It's possible that some members of the Maldraxxi that are made more piecemeal (i.e.: the abominations and other, lesser members that seem to share more in common with constructs) are exempt, but it doesn't seem to apply more generally. I do know there are some voice lines in which they Madraxxi acknowledge they will be of use in death in some form, but I think that's more of a morbid understanding that in death their components will be used in the furtherance of their purpose, rather than some kind of literal continuation (i.e.: their bodies will continue to serve as parts, but they will be dead).

It sort of just feels like they don't know how they want to handle the idea of Necromancy, or more broadly death, in the afterlife, which is understandable but is also why other genres expand the definition of Necromancy so much.