Page 1 of 93
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Football Season 2021-2022

Welcome to the Football Season thread for 2021/2022, it's about time we had a new thread!

The last couple of football threads introduced a few new rules that people happily followed, which cut down on the amount of moderation needed. So we'll be keeping them going for this year too.

A reminder on the additional thread rules:

1. All conversations must be generally kept on topic, while conversation naturally deviates, don't allow this to go more than half a page before taking it elsewhere, we have many subforums for different things better suited.

2. While memes are not banned, they must be football related (and with Tom Cruise at the Euro 2020 final, if you can somehow make that work, have at it)

3. Disagreements are fine, arguing is acceptable, insults are not. Keep it civil, and argue the points made, not attack the people making them.

4. As ever, tragedies regarding clubs, players, or other people surrounding the football world are not acceptable points of mockery, ridicule or banter. Keep that out of here.

5. In addition to 4. Wishing injury on players, coaches, referees etc is not acceptable. The reason being that such comments are provocative towards fans of other teams (or in the case of referees really just crass behaviour) and are little more than flame baiting. On the same note, sweeping statement insults against the fans of a club (for example X fans are all racist/Y fans are all violent scum) will not be tolerated.

6. Conspiracy theories are not permitted across the forums, if you wish to make an accusation, do so citing a credible source, preferably in English for the sake of moderation.

7. As ever, no links to illegal streams of games, or VPN sources to bypass regional blocking on legitimate ones.

8. Light hearted banter is to be expected here, however you're advised to not dish it out if you cannot take it. Reporting people for things that simply are not infractions, when you've made yourself fair game with your own comments will be ignored by the moderation team. Please stop cluttering our email inboxes.

This thread will run till Summer 2022 at the earliest, depending on thread activity it may well run longer, but if it runs into the 2022/23 season there will be a separate thread for the world cup.

If anyone is organising fantasy or prediction leagues and wants their link at the top of this OP, PM me.

Have fun!
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

FIRST?

I hate this time of the year, no games, nothing but misdirection and fake transfer news...
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2021-07-13 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    FIRST?

I ahte this time of the year, no games, nothing but misdirection and fake transfer news...
    Dunno. I kind of welcome the break.
    The last few months have been a bit of rollercoaster.

Although, I am really keen to start a new Football Manager save...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    FIRST?

I ahte this time of the year, no games, nothing but misdirection and fake transfer news...
    I mean, Sancho had his medical today and has signed for United.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I mean, Sancho had his medical today and has signed for United.
    Usually I'd be jumping with joy, and I've mostly been optimistic about Ole, but after the EL final I kinda feel Emery showed us how Ole still has a lot to learn as a manager, and therefore I fear Sancho will be lackluster under him :/ A bit like how Pogba performs better for France than for United, I guess. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Also kinda hoping we get some more people in the thread to talk about other leagues than the PL too, while I don't know that much about them, it's nice to have some change of discussion than the typical Premier League stuff.

Im thinking its Chelsea year, such an improvement in half a season.

As things stand i think my team, manchester united will battle to be in the top 4.

I think hes bought in the wrong position, if you think about our average team last year, RW is not priority.

Although i dont know anything about Varan, as long as he is a fast, solid, centre back that is where we should have started.

not sure purchasing is Oles fault though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post

Also kinda hoping we get some more people in the thread to talk about other leagues than the PL too, while I don't know that much about them, it's nice to have some change of discussion than the typical Premier League stuff.
    I could tell you all about the Eredivisie but I think no on would be interested ������. Our "star player " Berghuis moved to Ajax for just 6.5 million euros.

One to watch is our goalkeeper Justin Bijlow. He will be the goalkeeper of Oranje, if he stays fit. The guy has everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    I think hes bought in the wrong position, if you think about our average team last year, RW is not priority.
    Respectfully disagree, we've not had a real starting calibre right winger for years, you could argue we've not had a true right winger since Beckham.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im thinking its Chelsea year, such an improvement in half a season.

As things stand i think my team, manchester united will battle to be in the top 4.

Although i dont know anything about Varan, as long as he is a fast, solid, centre back that is where we should have started.

not sure purchasing is Oles fault though
    RW is absolutely a priority, we have Wan Bissaka playing wing back, and occasionally Dan James on that side actually giving him some support, that's literally it for right sided players, which is why all our play goes down the left and we can't break down defences.

Looks like Varanne is going through as well, so that's good too. As is Rashford is getting the shoulder surgery he should have got at Christmas at last.

Just need that centre midfielder now.

I think the big fight will be between City and Chelsea, but we'll certainly be in the mix. I mean last season a lot of people weren't even putting us in that mix.

- - - Updated - - -

Respectfully disagree, we've not had a real starting calibre right winger for years, you could argue we've not had a true right winger since Beckham.
    Valencia was pretty good, actually he and Rafael linked up really well.

Fair enough, I think if you wrote our basic first team last year down

De gea
    Henderson
    Shaw
    Maguire
    Lindeloff
    Wan bissaka
    Fred
    Mctominay
    Bruno
    Greenwood
    Pogba
    Rashford
    Cavani

(I realise that there are more than 11 but for me, off hand that was our team from last season)

The forward line doesn't stick out as needing immediate attention, Fred and mctominay are played out of position because they run around a lot, lindeloff isn't really up to it.

I don't disagree that the RW is the area we need to / have improved but I'd have been happy with those 3 as priorities

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    RW is absolutely a priority, we have Wan Bissaka playing wing back, and occasionally Dan James on that side actually giving him some support, that's literally it for right sided players, which is why all our play goes down the left and we can't break down defences.

Looks like Varanne is going through as well, so that's good too. As is Rashford is getting the shoulder surgery he should have got at Christmas at last.

Just need that centre midfielder now.

I think the big fight will be between City and Chelsea, but we'll certainly be in the mix. I mean last season a lot of people weren't even putting us in that mix.

- - - Updated - - -

Valencia was pretty good, actually he and Rafael linked up really well.
    i honestly think getting someone like calvin phillips in would do us better than sancho goals wise.

too many times last season it was fred shaw -fred - shaw - maguire fred - out

RW would be 3rd priority for me so if we get varane and phillips (hes on my mind after the euros) then i would say that is a very sucessfull summer, id have just got oter posiions first

also we scored the second most goals in the PL last season, we are breaking teams down better than others, it just doesnt feel like 'our united'.

aplogies forthe typoes, my keyboard has almost died, chargin

I'm hyped for Sancho and the possibility of adding Varane and either a Camavinga or Rice would be neat. This is obviously just speculation and I'm aware that we might end the window with only Sancho as a big signing and then some desperate CB/DM signing on the last day, but it's at least nice to be linked with players that would improve the team. I'm still on the fence with Ole, I think he's great in some ways like team spirit, bringing back the feeling around the team we used to have, but on the other hand I think we're dreadful to watch in many games and tactically he still shows a lot of holes. That means no matter who we sign this window, I'm not gonna be able to be overly confident when we're going up against Pep's City, Tuchel's Chelsea or Klopp's Liverpool. I would predict 4th for us next season because I think all 3 of those will finish higher.

On another topic I saw Arsenal lost their first friendly to Hibernian yesterday. Only a friendly and it doesn't mean much and all that but it's like the negative ball of dark energy just keeps rolling into their pre-season from last season. Sticking with Arteta combined with the targets they are linked with, it actually feels like they might cement themselves as a mid table club this season. I hope I'm wrong (because I do generally enjoy them) but you wonder how they are gonna climb a level or two next season.

I just hope Sporting keeps playing well in domestic competitions and makes a decent CL, not gonna watch many other matches this season.

Thought this was an American football thread. You had me in the first half

GL to all you other football fans across the pond next season

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, I think if you wrote our basic first team last year down

De gea
    Henderson
    Shaw
    Maguire
    Lindeloff
    Wan bissaka
    Fred
    Mctominay
    Bruno
    Greenwood
    Pogba
    Rashford
    Cavani

(I realise that there are more than 11 but for me, off hand that was our team from last season)

The forward line doesn't stick out as needing immediate attention, Fred and mctominay are played out of position because they run around a lot, lindeloff isn't really up to it.

I don't disagree that the RW is the area we need to / have improved but I'd have been happy with those 3 as priorities

- - - Updated - - -

i honestly think getting someone like calvin phillips in would do us better than sancho goals wise.

too many times last season it was fred shaw -fred - shaw - maguire fred - out

RW would be 3rd priority for me so if we get varane and phillips (hes on my mind after the euros) then i would say that is a very sucessfull summer, id have just got oter posiions first

also we scored the second most goals in the PL last season, we are breaking teams down better than others, it just doesnt feel like 'our united'.

aplogies forthe typoes, my keyboard has almost died, chargin
    A lot of those goals were early season massive wins, there were also a lot of 1-1s and 0-0s once we got figured out, and Rashford got injured and his goals dried up. Those draws cost us where we couldn't see things out and I think being able to switch play to the right rather than just go backwards would help everyone. That doesn't mean CB couldn't be improved, we definitely need someone other than Lindelof. I'd actually put midfield at lowest priority, I think Fred has forward play in him, he certainly wasn't brought in as a defensive midfielder, but when the only options are left or backwards, and he keeps getting sloppy passes from defence, I just don't feel like that would work for anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Thought this was an American football thread. You had me in the first half

GL to all you other football fans across the pond next season
    Maybe it could be called the 'Association Football' thread?

A lot of those goals were early season massive wins, there were also a lot of 1-1s and 0-0s once we got figured out, and Rashford got injured and his goals dried up. Those draws cost us where we couldn't see things out and I think being able to switch play to the right rather than just go backwards would help everyone. That doesn't mean CB couldn't be improved, we definitely need someone other than Lindelof. I'd actually put midfield at lowest priority, I think Fred has forward play in him, he certainly wasn't brought in as a defensive midfielder, but when the only options are left or backwards, and he keeps getting sloppy passes from defence, I just don't feel like that would work for anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah it's fine as is, but it isn't a bad idea to rename it considering american football season is starting to kick off training camps and the season starts in a month or so (preseason), so there will be confusion the longer this is up as football season draws closer

I just got my hopes up hoping to talk NFL. No biggy. carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I'm hyped for Sancho and the possibility of adding Varane and either a Camavinga or Rice would be neat. This is obviously just speculation and I'm aware that we might end the window with only Sancho as a big signing and then some desperate CB/DM signing on the last day, but it's at least nice to be linked with players that would improve the team. I'm still on the fence with Ole, I think he's great in some ways like team spirit, bringing back the feeling around the team we used to have, but on the other hand I think we're dreadful to watch in many games and tactically he still shows a lot of holes. That means no matter who we sign this window, I'm not gonna be able to be overly confident when we're going up against Pep's City, Tuchel's Chelsea or Klopp's Liverpool. I would predict 4th for us next season because I think all 3 of those will finish higher.

i agree, if Ole left he would not get another job in the PL.

he says himself he is an unfinished product ... the manager of Manchester United

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I think we see the same problem but solve it differently, you want to solve it up the field o we dont play backwards, i want to get the ball to fernandes / pogba quickly, giving them more time to set our speedy players going.

i dont think we will win or challenge for anything important while we are playing two players out of position though, especially those two.

this is a point someone else said, maybe Keane, but which teams in the PL would swap their midfield pair for ours? i think you'd get to arsenal before they started thinking seriously. definitely not leeds or everton though

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we see the same problem but solve it differently, you want to solve it up the field o we dont play backwards, i want to get the ball to fernandes / pogba quickly, giving them more time to set our speedy players going.

i dont think we will win or challenge for anything important while we are playing two players out of position though, especially those two.

this is a point someone else said, maybe Keane, but which teams in the PL would swap their midfield pair for ours? i think you'd get to arsenal before they started thinking seriously. definitely not leeds or everton though
    We finished second comfortably with it, and could have challenged better if we'd kept scoring. Kind of agree same problem, different solution. I just feel like we can move through the middle more comfortably with more security behind and more options up front. Of our midfield options I'd like to see go, it'd be Pogba - drama aside - he takes too long on the ball, which has always been a problem with United, and became a problem with France, and got them knocked out of the Euros. We keep trying to squeeze him in and it pushed others out of position as well, and I just don't see the point for those odd games he decides to show up for.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2021-07-14 at 03:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, Sancho fixes two massive issues on the right hand side, it gives a matchup nightmare to fullbacks while allowing Wan Bissaka to focus more on what he does best.

I don't think that it's the only transfer we'll be doing, I believe Varane is going to replace Lindelof and give Maguire a pacier partner at the back. Camavinga should come in to play the #6 role, so we can stop using two holding midfielders in McFred.

Honestly, Sancho fixes two massive issues on the right hand side, it gives a matchup nightmare to fullbacks while allowing Wan Bissaka to focus more on what he does best.

I don't think that it's the only transfer we'll be doing, I believe Varane is going to replace Lindelof and give Maguire a pacier partner at the back. Camavinga should come in to play the #6 role, so we can stop using two holding midfielders in McFred.
    Camavinga will probably be a project. He's still very young. It'll take the requisite time for him to get going.

That said, it'll be City/Chelsea/United/Leicester for me this year. Liverpool might get in there, but it's contingent on them strengthening.

As of now, they're trying to actively sell players to fund transfers. So chances are they'll only end up with Konate being the new recruit.

Leicester on the other hand are working towards that final push to be a proper top 4 team. My gut tells me they'll do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    My bets are on Chelsea this season. The way they performed once Tuchel took over was pretty bonkers.