Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Patches are seasons now

Blizzard has started referring to patches as seasons now, and they are not wrong.
    After the releease of the new mega dungeon of a whopping 8 bosses! and the new raid, there's nothing that new besides a small zone in our favorite zone; the maw.

And you know, it actually makes sense to refer to patches as seasons now. Since every bit of outdoors content gets its item level upped, aswell in Normal, Heroic and Mythic dungeons.

We are one step closer towards a Diablo MMORPG. We already bothered a lot from the gear process from that game, aswell as some systems such as M+

Whats the difference if you call it patch or season? It was always like that with itemlevel increase and adding new dungeon/raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh.. Not sure I've seen any official messages calling it a seasonal release or a season release but what does it matter? A patch is a patch.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Sounds like you should just quit already.

They pretty much always have been, there is always a item level increase and more stuff to do, sounds like seasons to me, or maybe mmos is where they got the idea for seasons from?

50 money for a "season" lol

15+ Year Old Account
    They've been calling them seasons since Legion.

i dont get why people always complain about wow. "all we got is a new raid, a new dungeon, a new zone, new daylies, new/overworked systems, new story, new mounts, new pets, new grind, classtuning and updated itemlevels for outdoorcontent and dungeons"...

I mean, what the hell u want even more? When i take a look of past major patches they were all like this or even worse, like 6.1

I really dont get why people complain about all these content, that it isnt enough. Ofc there were bigger majos patches in the past, or came out faster, but so many call this patch bad and i dont get why.

Dunno, maybe its cause these days i dont play wow that much, cause work, wife, reallife - but there were patches and expansions with lot less content.

What do you mean "now" ?

Ever since MoP or so, every single new raid release invalidated all previous raids.

Can't wait for the season pass.

I think a season is shorter than the time between WoW patches though. We experienced Winter and Spring, and 1/3 of Summer, before 9.1 came.

Getting a patch every 3 months would be amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Whats the difference if you call it patch or season? It was always like that with itemlevel increase and adding new dungeon/raid.

This way they don't have to actually go hard and improve the core game or its systems anymore and can just toss half-developed, temporary content on top of the bloated corpse of Legion forever.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    What is this even trying to say?
    something about trump 100% what do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the way the game has worked since Legion though..

New patch, every source of items gets a bump in ilvl for max level characters.

Even before then, pvp and raids got a bump, but dungeons got left behind.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has literally never changed.

When a new raid tier comes out, pretty much everything becomes obsolete. Vanilla is the only true exception of this rule and while it happens in some later expansions, it dwindles by a great deal with every passing expansion.

In past expansions the only thing that kept dungeons relevant (outside of entry level raid gear) were badges and valor points. Not until M+ in Legion did dungeons really maintain relevance throughout the entire expansion (whether you like this is or not is up to you).

Patches for the most part have been seasons for a very long time though, even if they weren't directly called that.

I'm not seeing the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Even before then, pvp and raids got a bump, but dungeons got left behind.
    I mean, I had fun chain pulling Wrath dungeons like a madman in the ICC patch and never being in danger of dying, but having dungeons actually be relevant for more than the first month is much better imo.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    They pretty much always have been, there is always a item level increase and more stuff to do, sounds like seasons to me, or maybe mmos is where they got the idea for seasons from?
    Honestly this. How does 9.1 actually differ from your average patch from years ago? New dungeon, new dailies, higher ilvl rewards & a new mini-zone. I've not played 9.1. myself, but I did keep up to date with the news, & it just looks like every other average patch for the past 15 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I mean, I had fun chain pulling Wrath dungeons like a madman in the ICC patch and never being in danger of dying, but having dungeons actually be relevant for more than the first month is much better imo.
    I mean, people did that in Naxx patch too.
    Wrath dungeons were never hard

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I mean, people did that in Naxx patch too.
    Wrath dungeons were never hard
    Ok good point lol. I was ripping through them (except VH of course, also &^%$ Ichoron) long before then, but yeah. Still a nice thing to have challenging dungeons after the first month :P
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Which might be a different game....or MMO where raids, dungeons, professions, lore etc feel fresh...because they never did them and they work in different systems.
    This is 99% of wows problems, after 5/10/15/17 years of playing the game NO MATTER WHAT blizzard does it won't feel "fresh" to people.

Like honestly just look at the entirety of wow, there is more to do now that ever before and people still complain.

The core gameplay loop is the exact same, do x to do y. Playing other mmos over the years I get the initial dopamine hit because it's new or fresh then I realise it's the same shit. Blizzard isn't doing anything different in 2021 that they did't do in 2004. 2004 wow - grindy ass game check, do things to be able to raid check, no world content at max check.

Again NO MATTER WHAT blizzard does it's just not going to have years of nostalgia plastered onto it. I challenge anyone to go back and actually play vanilla/tbc classic or wrath private server and you will quickly realise as I have... there is literally nothing to do outside raids unlike "modern" wow that gives people options on how they want to play.