What would you mix between Retail and Classic?

There's always a lot of criticism to WoW, especially retail.
    Personally, I play and enjoy both versions of the game. I still prefer the older versions, especially TBC and Wotlk and I think the game took some wrong turns as it got modernized.
    I think we could help Blizzard figuring out what we like about each version of the game.

What would you take out of each version of the game and put together for a greater next expansion experience?

- - - Updated - - -

My main criticism to modern WoW is:
    1. Lack of RPG-like feeling when leveling/gearing/progressing your character;
    2. Scripted class gameplay (little room to play your class differently from other players);
    3. Too many systems with not enough depth to personalize your builds;
    4. Too many grinding systems with no realistic ceiling (too many daily "chores");
    5. Every class has everything (interrupt, AoE, ST, Dispel, CC, etc) and specific class buffs do not feel that important;
    6. Borrowed power that makes you OP;

Examples of what I enjoy in modern WoW:
    1. Artwork and aesthetics (from graphics to the feeling of using certain abilities);
    2. Dungeon and Raid design;
    3. Systems like Mage Tower and MoP challenge mode (clear objective, not mandatory, hard content, cool rewards, repeatable for each class);
    4. Storytelling and quest design;

Some extra Shadowlands comments:
    Torghast was almost cool but it got really boring very quickly.
    Talents + Covenants + Legendaries + Conduits sounded like a combination with depth and room for different builds, but in the end it was just confusing and lackluster.
    Holy priest was my favorite SL spec by far because of the sheer amount of spells that were used in different situations (depending if you were on the move, had mana to spare, 2 allies were injured instead of 1 or 5, etc). And not just the 3-4 same spell sequence, regardless of the situation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________

My main criticism to classic WoW is:
    1. Talent system with growth limit (Blizzard can't just add new talents every expansion because trees will be too long);
    2. 5-man PvE content limited to HC dungeons;
    3. Gearing too dependent on Raiding;

Examples of what I enjoy in TBC/classic WoW:
    1. Character progression (from leveling to talents and gearing);
    2. Progression with realistic ceilings: Faction rep farming by doing dungeons; World item farming (e.g. primals) for gear crafting or gold making;
    3. Profession importance and progression;
    4. Unique items with no "heroic", "normal" and "mythic" modifiers;
    5. Situational abilities like a rank 1 frostbolt for a quick slow or a icelance on a frozen target even if you're not frost specced;
    6. Community friendly playstyle;
    7. Gathering a cool melee or spellcleave (e.g.) 5-man group - that changes the way you clear a dungeon;
    8. Mana as a limiting factor everywhere (especially in PvP);
    9. Significant gameplay while leveling;
    10. Gold is important and useful (from getting mats for your crafted gear or epic mount, to feeding your alts with mats and gear for easier leveling; etc);

Some extra TBC comments:
    I'm always really happy when I get a Moonkin in my group when I play my fire mage in TBC. Or if you're a warrior and you get a shaman to give you windfury. Or if you are any class and get a shaman in your team. Or if you're a AoE beast and get a good pala tank.
    You don't dps much as a healer (at least not as often as in retail) because you WILL run out of mana. You are worried about healing your team and not healing + adding to the DPS meters. A good healer will occasionally do a Feral Charge interrupt or a well timed Cyclone, but not spam Starfire (at least while doing content for their level of gear).

I'm sure people will have different likes and dislikes! There's no need to hate on other's opinions.
    But maybe we can sum something useful out of everyone's lists.
    Last edited by Keilvog; 2021-07-21 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    "What would you mix between Retail and Classic?"
    Retail and Classic
    What I mean is, I would add Classic back into the main game, so when you first start playing, you start in the Vanilla timeline and work your way through TBC, WotLK, before Cata will change the world to what it is now. Obviously, I'd make it compatable with all the features the game has gained since, so a lot of the graphics and textures of the current game would stay.
    Basically I'd make it Vanilla, but if it had been made now.