Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    5000 troops going back to Afghanistan.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/bid...ul-2021-08-14/

Seems like only 1k extra in reality and just to secure pull out.

The thing is done deal, they will pull out foreign nationals, some shortlist of Afghanis and will buzz off to let Taliban march into the city unchallenged.

I highly doubt Afghan "army", even if such actually exists will do anything there, but run for their lives or surrender. I bet their president will vanish soon and reappear in some nice safe haven country with great beaches with all them $$ he and his buddies earned from all this, having nice luxurious life for the rest of his days.
    Last edited by Raizz; 2021-08-15 at 12:26 AM.

Inb4 they storming half of pakistan after taking the country and getting their hand on a nuke, creating 9/11: the sequel.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Looks like the taliban has entered Kabul this morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Looks like the taliban has entered Kabul this morning.
    to no one's surprise

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    to no one's surprise
    Pretty much.

Will be interesting to see wether they will attack the embassy or not. Dont believe that all foreign personel have left yet

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    People dont actually believe america was there to bring democracy to the region? Plenty of money to be made from a destabilized middle east.
    bro this threads about Afghanistan you need a map

It's mindboggling that pretty much the entire country has been given up without a fight given everything that the Taliban did to ethnic minorities and females last time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    It's mindboggling that pretty much the entire country has been given up without a fight given everything that the Taliban did to ethnic minorities and females last time around.
    If i had the choice between dying a senseless death and playing along with some assholes, i wouldn't decide different.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    If i had the choice between dying a senseless death and playing along with some assholes, i wouldn't decide different.
    Except playing along isn't going to save you. It'd be like 20 years after the Nazis were defeated they came back to power and all the ethnic minorities they massacred the first time around went 'maybe if we played along this time they won't do it again.'

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    aaaand done, gov in Kabul will surrender ASAP, just negotiating transfer of power.

tsk tsk.....

10+ Year Old Account
    I get why anyone from Afghanistan would give 0 care about the conflict. At this point, I wouldn't give a damn unless someone was at more door with a rifle in their hand. 20 years of war? Thats enough for men to grow old and babies to grow old and question why. The country hasn't been theirs for 20 years. Its been the US's or the Talibans. Non-Taliban citizens were allied with the US but that alligance only held if they acted in the interests of the US, the country was controlled by the US or the Taliban. The US blows shit up, fights for 20 years. and then just peaces out back to the saftey of beds back home leaving the non-Taliban citizens with their asses out. Those citizens are supposed to be like, "Well its time to get shot up after the great military power the Taliban were fighting for 20 years just peaced out." Yeah...no. Thats assinine, stupid, dumb. Imagine you're a 20 year, you weren't there when the fighting started and you see the good guys leave over night, why in hell would you think stick around?

Newsflash, most people aren't willing to die over shit that doesn't impact them very much like the flag over the capital or a piece of land. 98 problems became 99, not a big deal, get in line. The US government doesn't actually care about the Afghan people, it just wanted to fight the Taliban, so I bet theres a guy in Afghanistan saying, "Miss with the 'the people of Afghanistan should just rise up against the Taliban'. No, thats the US's mess and we're stuck in the crossfire."

- - - Updated - - -

The #1 military in the world gave up after 20 years of fighting practically overnight. Why in hell would some random guy just tending to his heard bother?

"If that was me I wouldn't stand for it". Except its not you and they watched another country kick a hornets nest then just run. Its like if you called an exterminator, the exterminator fed the hornets for 20 years, then kicked the nest and said its your problem now. Yeah, fuck that.

The only reason why pundits in the West are telling them to fight is to make the retreat not look so bad.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-08-15 at 10:27 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

You can't change a country in 20 years, you need far more time and money to do that. And to achieve that, you do not send the military either, they are not trained and built for that, especially the US ones.

Maybe you could also note what other side did and weighted those together - you know, child rapes and all.

Apparently corruption in their military was also common - like with officers taking 90% of soldier salary as a kickback.

The issue with Afghanistan and the people is they don't have any kind of national identity, they aren't a united people. They are a group of tribes that just so happen to live within an invisible border that unites them under a common name. They don't care much for each other and they definitely don't care for the plight of other tribes. The government was largely consisting of one tribe that is actually a bit of a minority in the country. Same with the army, most of their numbers were faked so other districts could get funding and pocket that funding. Corruption ran rife and largely the Afghan people continued to stay to themselves.
    Part of our plan there was to push the Taliban into the open and go "here are your repressors, come and get them." We were successful but the Afghan people never cared. They only cared to fight when we were standing in front of them. If we stood next to them they would put up token resistance and then complain until we took care of the problem ourselves, and clearly we see that they just rolled over when we weren't around.

I have very mixed feelings about the whole situation. In some ways we made it worse. In other ways we had won, met our objectives, and the people probably didn't realize how much different it was until now that we are gone. But really there is only 2 ways to go with a place like Afghan, leave her to her fate, or turn her into a state and make their problems into our problems.

Nothing new that Russia doesn't care about its citizens and has no problems leaving them behind at the whim of religious extremists. That's not how democracies operate, though.

Nothing new that Russia doesn't care about its citizens and has no problems leaving them behind at the whim of religious extremists. That's not how democracies operate, though.
    russia and china have been talking to the Taliban for years now on the understanding that they would take over Afghanistan eventually and inevitably. They most likely have a deal already and dont feel threatened.

Maybe Russia just didn't prop up brutal warlords and imprison members of the movement that is going to create new government, unlike "democracies" who are too afraid they'll get swiftly judged for their atrocities should they get caught without superior firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Maybe Russia just didn't prop up brutal warlords and imprison members of the movement that is going to create new government, unlike "democracies" who are too afraid they'll get swiftly judged for their atrocities should they get caught without superior firepower.
    russias history in Afghanistan isnt exactly glorious.