Page 83 of 98 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    And no, Joe Biden didn't have the power to cancel a fucking treaty from a previous government.

So fuck off with this ignorant bullshit.
    Well, I mean ... didn't Trump cancel Obama's treaty with Iran?

And no, Joe Biden didn't have the power to cancel a fucking treaty from a previous government.
    That would be believable if he wasn't so irritated at being questioned over it and repeatedly defending the decision to withdraw. I haven't seen any instance where he admitted he had no choice in the matter or was apologetic.

Anyways, there's nothing more to even say about it now since we left. I've mentioned being far more aggressive in military output before but no one seemed interested, not even our own army.

The biggest concern now, to me, is whether the Taliban will become a regional power that's threatening enough to launch another 9/11 or military invasion (like say, on Taiwan) any time in the foreseeable future. If they just stay planted in Afghan doing their depraved shit that would be acceptable to me. But as we know, these are bloodthirsty psychopaths that might want a taste of power for once with what China's offered. And, of course, revenge for the US occupation.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2021-09-10 at 03:24 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

It is both amazing and pathetic that people can repeatedly lie, troll, and post so disingenuously here and NEVER get really held to account for it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    I think Biden's actions in withdrawing and the ensuing anarchy, geopolitical losses (Taliban is now a firm ally of China), and oathbreaking in negotiating with terrorists, are either all clauses for resigning at least. He knew all this as well and keeps justifying his decision.
    When will it ever sink in that skull of yours that it wasn't Biden that negotiated?

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest concern now, to me, is whether the Taliban will become a regional power that's threatening enough to launch another 9/11 or military invasion (like say, on Taiwan) any time in the foreseeable future.
    Wait, you think landlocked Afghanistan, under Taliban control, is gonna invade Taiwan, an island more than 5,000 kilometers away?

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be believable if he wasn't so irritated at being questioned over it and repeatedly defending the decision to withdraw. I haven't seen any instance where he admitted he had no choice in the matter or was apologetic.
    If he's annoyed at the questions, it's because they're disingenuous. There was overwhelming support to remove our troops from Afghanistan.

Anyways, there's nothing more to even say about it now since we left. I've mentioned being far more aggressive in military output before but no one seemed interested, not even our own army.
    Yes, we're aware that you want to nuke them. It really shouldn't come as a shock that "even our own army" doesn't want to go down that road.

The biggest concern now, to me, is whether the Taliban will become a regional power that's threatening enough to launch another 9/11 or military invasion (like say, on Taiwan) any time in the foreseeable future.
    Afghanistan doesn't even remotely have the resources to become a "regional power", and the Taliban aren't going to be staging any military invasions. Those ideas are laughable.

If they just stay planted in Afghan doing their depraved shit that would be acceptable to me.
    Sure, we get it; you don't care about "depraved shit" as long as its against brown people. If you don't care what that says about you, then you're quite possibly beyond hope, I'm afraid.

But as we know, these are bloodthirsty psychopaths that might want a taste of power for once with what China's offered.
    And what, exactly, has China offered them? Some humanitarian aid, a token gesture that likely won't go towards the people that actually need it but is good PR for China. China is not going to be building them up to be some kind of international power in their neighborhood. Honestly, I'm sure they're just happy to keep the US out.

And, of course, revenge for the US occupation.
    The US is still capable of executing drone strikes in Afghanistan; I don't think the Taliban considers "revenge for the US occupation" to be a wise play.

Honestly, you have a much too overactive imagination, which wouldn't normally be a problem except that it's completely unbound by reason.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    It is both amazing and pathetic that people can repeatedly lie, troll, and post so disingenuously here and NEVER get really held to account for it.
    Indeed.

As the 24-hour challenge has long since expired, anyone who blames Biden for the withdrawl, while not explaining why Trump didn't do it himself, has self-identified as a hypocrite and their posts are summarily handwaved. I'm not giving anyone else an extension -- they have already failed the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And what, exactly, has China offered them?
    enough for them to occupy Afghan without fear of being human bombed or straight up attacked. I mean, the Taliban recently said China was now their closest regional ally. That's a pretty impressive diplomatic feat from China for a group of terrorists that murder any foreigners before.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    enough for them to occupy Afghan without fear of being human bombed or straight up attacked.
    No, China is not occupying Afghanistan.

I mean, the Taliban recently said China was now their closest regional ally.
    No, the Taliban did not say that China was their closest regional ally. Blame news agencies for conflating "trading partner" with "ally"; those are two wildly different things. I doubt very, very much that China will ever use the word "ally" with regards to the Taliban.

That's a pretty impressive diplomatic feat from China for a group of terrorists that murder any foreigners before.
    China has done lip-service here, that's all. There's no diplomatic feat here at all. What it is is the Taliban being scared. They want to attempt to project strength, so they're making "friends" with the closest power that doesn't want to invade them, and hoping that the fake "friendship" will make others think twice about targeting them. But don't believe for a second that this is any kind of real alliance.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

What it is is the Taliban being scared.
    are you saying china is genuinely scarier than the US as a military force or is it something else here, because the taliban said they will never cowtow to the US and sort of won out in the end through endurance. I don't know what reason they'd have to fear the Chinese.

That's a pretty impressive diplomatic feat from China for a group of terrorists that murder any foreigners before.
    The Taliban did not murder foreigners before. They never really engaged in that behavior. Journalists, traders and foreigners could always travel to Taliban territories and do so safely as long as they did so "legally" as in via the official Taliban channels.

The Taliban only tended to shoot foreign troops, mercenary contractors or diplomats. As in people they seen as part of the occupation force.

Paying off the Taliban for safety is no special diplomatic feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The Taliban did not murder foreigners before. They never really engaged in that behavior.
    considering how this is the evilest of terrorist groups we're talking about here, and how this statement is at odds with all the news you hear about the Taliban, it's hard to believe. Like what you said is in direct contrast to an article that suggested the Taliban would rob or rape anyone they fancy. It's not hard to believe.

I'm more shocked anyone would ever try to negotiate with them. China is a communist regime known for ethnic cleansing and violent occupations like with Hong Kong. A part of me wonders why they don't just do that to the Taliban. If the US is withheld by humane standards that prevents them from unleashing the full might of their military, China has no such standards. They don't care about sanctions either.

They just talked the Taliban down into being at relative neutrality.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2021-09-10 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fresh back from vacation, and already back to spouting the random china-taliban garbage.

At least take a breather from being wrong, man...

10+ Year Old Account
    are you saying china is genuinely scarier than the US as a military force or is it something else here...
    Definitely "something else here".

The Taliban are like the fresh fish in the prison yard. They know they're weak and vulnerable so their first order of business is to make "friends" with an established power in the hopes that it will keep the rest of the crowd off their back. China is the biggest power in the area, and a natural opponent to the US.

China can pay lip-service to the idea of a partnership, send some aid, get some good PR. The Taliban can pretend that they're being "protected" by China's interests while they try to avoid collapse. It's a win-win, but it's only skin-deep. There's nothing that realistically ties the Taliban and Chinan together; it's all for show.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When will it ever sink in that skull of yours that it wasn't Biden that negotiated?
    He knows it, he isn't debating in good faith or even trying to debate at all which is part of what I was referring to in my post.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Well, I mean ... didn't Trump cancel Obama's treaty with Iran?
    I don't believe that was a treaty, I believe it was a deal to lessen the sanctions.

They know they're weak and vulnerable
    they sent a military superpower back home through metaphorical sticks and stones. They brag about it too. Also as someone pointed out, the Taliban are full of insane people that would die before admitting defeat in any capacity. I don't get how you would assume they think they're weak or vulnerable.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that was a treaty, I believe it was a deal to lessen the sanctions.
    Pretty sure only congress can enact treaties. I don't think pesidents can't get in binding agreements on their own.

they sent a military superpower back home through metaphorical sticks and stones. They brag about it too. Also as someone pointed out, the Taliban are full of insane people that would die before admitting defeat in any capacity. I don't get how you would assume they think they're weak or vulnerable.
    And Trump, your lord and savior, literally negotiated with the terrorists, so, I don't know why you are trying to blame fucking Biden for this bullshit.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Yep treaty is not the correct term. It was the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), so an agreement to stop nuclear weapon and certain missile development in exchange for sanctions relief. Trump unilaterally removed the US from that agreement. That move by Trump was widely mocked at the time because it did not do anything to Iran and simply removed the US from the negotiating table, so it shot ourselves in the foot. Foreign Policy was not a strong point last administration. That is why the US has had no voice with Iran in this topic since and the remaining JCPOA members have scoffed at the US making suggestions on it, because the US isn't even part of the JCPOA anymore.

Just a reminder that China isn't 'taking over' Afghanistan, but they have been and are working with the Taliban on opening mining Afghani resources such as copper. So China is jumping right in with an eye on exploiting their natural resources. We'll see how that goes over time and if it eventually leads to China being pulled into conflict in Afghanistan as some Afghanis are predicting. China is investing a lot of money into mines and the Silk Road in Afghanistan. The test will be if/when Chinese mining workers and/or assets related to the Silk Road Initiative in Afghanistan run into attacks with ISIS-K or other groups. If that leads the Chinese to eventually respond militarily, they could find themselves in an Afghanistan quagmire before long.