Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    I mean.. Good?

Maybe we shouldn't pay homage to/honour a sex offender?
    Enabling and condoning an alleged sex offender does not a sex offender make.

Still complicit, sure. But let's not muddy the waters when there are convictions that need to be made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Nice, Also there are already unused lines that hint at McCree not even being his real name, so they could easily use those lines and produce a narrative in which his real name is revealed.
    Lint Ceastwood.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    "liking the changes being made to the game"
    "not falling for Blizzard's obvious deflections"

these are not mutually exclusive things.
    I don't think we disagree here. Forgive me if I'm mistaken.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

When mccree was anounced as fired etc, people were yelling they should rename the OW char.
    Now they do, other (?) ppl yell it's stupid.
    Guys, doesnt matter what the issue is, some will be for, some against. There is no pleasing everyone.

What about the Argus zone Mac'Aree? Its very obvious a reference to McCree aswell..

Hope they go for a "Reaper" option where they call him like "The Gunslinger" over a full canon renaming.

I ultimately don't really care what they call McCree, I usually make up names for all the characters anyway.

But on a side not it's amazing how quickly they can change things for PR, but don't actually address real issues leading to real problems in their games. If it weren't for D2R and D4 I don't think I'd have anything Blizz related on my comp.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I ultimately don't really care what they call McCree, I usually make up names for all the characters anyway.

But on a side not it's amazing how quickly they can change things for PR, but don't actually address real issues leading to real problems in their games. If it weren't for D2R and D4 I don't think I'd have anything Blizz related on my comp.
    "Blizzard better make changes!"

Blizzard starts to make changes.

"Blizzard is doing it just for PR!"

Make up your minds, seriously.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    it certainly doesn't paint the picture that these lawsuit(s) are going to go away and things will just return to normalcy.
    i agree, but it seems to be their way to adress these problems
    new players won't even know about the things that happened "back then"
    love WoWarcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post

changes to the company... not the games... for god sakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    it's been their way of addressing controversies for a while now. which I hate to agree with the knee jerk reactionaries but that's exactly why they made some characters LGBT+, or announce games that are nowhere near being ready for release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    This will surely address the workplace issues comprehensively

For a game already going through a content drought expected to last until 2023, this is the last place calories need to be burnt on development time. Instead, let's implement actual changes with substance through efforts in company policy and through the people management entities instead of burning dev resources on virtue signaling crap.
    Agreed, I just find this announcement to be ridiculous considering that Frances Townsend is still employed as the CCO of Activision Blizzard. How many other people defending the company against claims of misconduct are still employed by the company? I don't know, but I doubt it is anywhere close to zero.

I've only seen PR bullshit after PR bullshit out of Blizzard lately, and this just reeks of more PR bullshit being shoved out to distract from demands to address substantive issues. Renaming McCree in Overwatch before they've fixed their corporate culture is absolutely pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

changes to the company... not the games... for god sakes.

- - - Updated - - -

it's been their way of addressing controversies for a while now. which I hate to agree with the knee jerk reactionaries but that's exactly why they made some characters LGBT+, or announce games that are nowhere near being ready for release.
    Some people are offended by a character still named after a harassing dev. A change is a change, whether in company or in a game. Which they're doing.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    Yup, hence why they're going with renaming McCree. A lot easier to hide it from view if the character no longer serves as a reminder of the shit they're responsible for. I'd bet that the OW team was split on whether or not to change the name, while management from the company pushed hard for changing the name.

Sure this is speculation, but it seems in line with their overall response to minimize and cover up as much shit as possible. It follows their original tone before they took the stock hit over just how insanely tone-deaf their original response was. I don't think their original response has changed in the slightest, I think they've just decided to be much more calculated with their messaging to avoid further PR missteps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Changing McCree's name is a token change. It's like someone rapes you, and the government takes away their license plates. It's not a real change, it won't address anything, everyone will continue to call him McCree, Streisand Effect fully engaged.

Also people aren't a monolith, just because some smooth brain wants McCree's name changed doesn't mean I don't know its a complete waste of time done only to get that previous person to spend more money on Blizz things.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Are you at least paid for all this breathless shilling ?
    It's shilling to not want to immortalize someone who is either a) a predator themselves or b) stood by and let a predator do their thing? If my favorite character was directly named after such a person I'd be fine with it being changed. I'd encourage the company to change it. At this point we know that he was fired. That didn't just happen for no reason. It's not a Blizzard issue, it's a stop defending creeps issue. Plus just a week ago people were calling for Afrasiabi to be removed from WoW, but now McCree is a problem? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I'll call him a predator when you can point to any shred of proof aside from being "nearby" one.
    I bet you called the voice actor for Kael'thas a predator too.
    You'd lose that bet because I didn't know anything about the Kael'thas thing until people on this forum cried about the changed voice actor.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

The virtue signaling train is full steam ahead. Blizzard is a laughing stock.

Some people are offended by a character still named after a harassing dev. A change is a change, whether in company or in a game. Which they're doing.
    sigh I'll take the bold stance of proclaiming that people shouldn't accept a characters name change as evidence of anything besides trying to distance themselves from the person they want to not associate with. granted changing the name of a character that has merch and all that attached to them is much more monumental than swapping out a WoW NPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance, last we need is to honor sex offenders.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Enabling and condoning an alleged sex offender does not a sex offender make.

Still complicit, sure. But let's not muddy the waters when there are convictions that need to be made.

- - - Updated - - -

Lint Ceastwood.
    We don't know if the real life McCree did anything wrong... but the people at Blizzard perhaps do. The change could very well be virtue signaling, or actually wanting to distance themselves because he was indeed guilty, if not as bad as Afriasabi. Probably an unhealthy mix of both come to think of it.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Just you wait, people will get banned if they do that.
    Which will further plunge the company into controversy and obscurity.