Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Do all classes require 15+ buttons rotations?

I play both Wow and ff14 at the same time but took a break from Wow. So I started playing FF14 more often on my white mage, I mostly enjoyed watching the story because honestly doing the MSQ is more about playing a movie ala Metal gear than actually leveling which I enjoy.
    I wanted to see what was ahead of me so I started to look up guides and I was really horrified. It looks like you need to press like over 10 buttons and do a rotation of 15+. Honestly its so many buttons you begin to appreciate the pruning of skills in wow.

Take for example White mage, I got cure 1(single targe) cure 2(single target+) Cure 3(for some reason targeted AOE)... and it frustrates me because it seems so unnecessary since there is the Medica line of spells which are AOE.

I wanted to play Black mage and then I learn that if you like to move your DPS suffers. And that class is a 15+ button pressing class. Im like, doesn't square know what FUN is? This is not it!
    I am a proponent of get gud, but this is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to learn more than 6 buttons at the most imo, a controller has 8 buttons, 10 if you count the L3 and R3.

Another thing, and this is a tangent, is there anything else other than raids at max level? I am not much of a raid player anymore and enjoyed the hell out of Mythics, is there anything like that in FF at max level?

I have a gunbreaker at level 70 right now. Outside of CDs, there's only like...4-5 buttons in the rotation. I don't know a single class that has a 15+ button rotation. You are grossly exaggerating how many buttons are in a rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I have a gunbreaker at level 70 right now. Outside of CDs, there's only like...4-5 buttons in the rotation. I don't know a single class that has a 15+ button rotation. You are grossly exaggerating how many buttons are in a rotation.
    I was looking into some guides about black mage and most of them read like some sort of hacking programing going on, its so needlessly complicated. I mostly viewed the first 3 guides hit I got from youtube from searching black mage rotation guide, since I wanted to level for a bit a different class from white mage.

Dancer. Though that may be too complicated if you're looking for something as simple as a WoW class.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    I was looking into some guides about black mage and most of them read like some sort of hacking programing going on, its so needlessly complicated. I mostly viewed the first 3 guides hit I got from youtube from searching black mage rotation guide, since I wanted to level for a bit a different class from white mage.
    If you want simple classes, then archer and pugilist might better for you in order to get used to the mechanics of FFXIV.

Warrior from my perspective so far. 3 button combos with only the last part being the variant, a short dmg CD, 2 button aoe combo, and 2 spenders. Friend tells me paladin is even easier.

There's also a combo mod that exists that turns consistent combos into how the PvP ability works (one button that will change the ability to the next part of the combo), but use at your own risk.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

BLM is really straight forward and definitely uses 8 or less buttons for its actual rotation. The extras are just extra stuff that isn't really required, like teleporting to the side of a targeted party member or an aoe freeze that you'll never use.

Been a BLM main for like 7 years, it's a blast!

I play both Wow and ff14 at the same time but took a break from Wow. So I started playing FF14 more often on my white mage, I mostly enjoyed watching the story because honestly doing the MSQ is more about playing a movie ala Metal gear than actually leveling which I enjoy.
    I wanted to see what was ahead of me so I started to look up guides and I was really horrified. It looks like you need to press like over 10 buttons and do a rotation of 15+. Honestly its so many buttons you begin to appreciate the pruning of skills in wow.

Take for example White mage, I got cure 1(single targe) cure 2(single target+) Cure 3(for some reason targeted AOE)... and it frustrates me because it seems so unnecessary since there is the Medica line of spells which are AOE.

I wanted to play Black mage and then I learn that if you like to move your DPS suffers. And that class is a 15+ button pressing class. Im like, doesn't square know what FUN is? This is not it!
    I am a proponent of get gud, but this is ridiculous! You shouldn't have to learn more than 6 buttons at the most imo, a controller has 8 buttons, 10 if you count the L3 and R3.

Another thing, and this is a tangent, is there anything else other than raids at max level? I am not much of a raid player anymore and enjoyed the hell out of Mythics, is there anything like that in FF at max level?
    Hilarious you say that, cause if I look up any wow class rotation I promise it will be an overwhelming mess of confusion, yet when you actually play the spec it's simplistic, straight forward and often 4-5 buttons if you use macros. Which class in ffxiv did you look up that was 15? not even summoner has a 15 button rotation, do classes have 15 abiltiies? yeah..... wow classes have like 30 abilities, how many do you use? Just because something is there doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. This is a silly thread.
    Outside of Summoner every class in this game has like a 5 button rotation with separate abilities you can press in specific scenarios where you need to self heal or pop a DCD just like in wow

If you're going to over react on pressing 2-3 more buttons, then maybe you should stay in WoW and just play an assassination rogue that has a 5 button rotation and then come on here and complain that WoW is so boring because you only press 5 buttons. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzz WoW players always crying
    Last edited by OokOok; 2021-08-27 at 06:05 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If you prefer skill pruned games, honestly just stick to WoW. or if more than 6 Buttons triggers you. Go play an ARPG.

try the Red Mage. it's very simple and also probably the best designed job in the game atm.
    i slept on it for a long time because i thought it looked stupid but so far i've found it to play better than all the other jobs i've tried and it doesn't suck ass playing below 80 like most of them either.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Let's take Dragoon for example:
    True Thrust - GCD, part of main combo
    Vorpal Thrust - GCD, part of main combo
    Full Thrust - GCD, part of main combo
    Disembowel - GCD, part of main combo
    Chaos Thrust - GCD, part of main combo
    Fang and Claw - GCD, part of main combo
    Wheeling Thrust - GCD, part of main combo
    Life Surge - oGCD, mainly used on Full Thrust
    Lance Charge - oGCD, main personal damage boost
    Jump - oGCD, used on cooldown
    Spineshatter Dive - oGCD, used on cooldown despite being gap closer, because of potency
    Dragonfire Dive - oGCD, used on cooldown even in ST despite technically being AoE ability
    Battle Litany - oGCD, main raid cooldown
    Geirskogul/Nastrond - oGCD, used on cooldown
    Dragon Sight - secondary raid cooldown
    Mirage Dive - oGCD, procced by Jump, used instantly after it, because creating more useless keybinds is fun
    Stardiver - oGCD, used on cooldown

There you go, 17 abilities in your ST rotation, something you've claimed not to exist. I wish you spent more time actually playing the game than spouting uninformed nonsense about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Dancer. Though that may be too complicated if you're looking for something as simple as a WoW class.
    It's not like FF gameplay is more challenging than mastering a class in wow tho. Tbh gameplay for most FF classes in endgame is just atrocious...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Spineshatter Dive - oGCD, used on cooldown despite being gap closer, because of potency
    Dragonfire Dive - oGCD, used on cooldown even in ST despite technically being AoE ability
    Mirage Dive - oGCD, procced by Jump, used instantly after it, because creating more useless keybinds is fun

There you go, 17 abilities in your ST rotation, something you've claimed not to exist. I wish you spent more time actually playing the game than spouting uninformed nonsense about it.
    lmfao all of those are not required for Dragoon's rotation. Nice try, though.

It is one of the main reasons why i utterly refuse to get into FF14.

I hate these long rotations.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Cooldowns =/= Rotation. Rotation is your basic repeated skills. Ironic you say other People are spouting nonsense.

Try ffxiv combo plugin. It prunes a lot of the combo buttons into one like it does in PvP. For tanks like GNB and PLD it saves 7-9 Buttons. For Dragoons it saves 7 IIRC. It works well for some classes but other classes like BLM and MNK it doesn't do much.

lmfao all of those are not required for Dragoon's rotation. Nice try, though.
    You are probably a dragoon of the floor tanking kind, so true enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Cooldowns =/= Rotation. Rotation is your basic repeated skills. Ironic you say other People are spouting nonsense.
    Rotation isn't basic repeated skills, it's a repeat of sequence of actions, which in FFXIV usually takes around 3 minutes to fully reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

You are probably a dragoon of the floor tanking kind, so true enough.

Rotation isn't basic repeated skills, it's a repeat of sequence of actions, which in FFXIV usually takes around 3 minutes to fully reset.
    No. You're just spouting nonsense as someone else pointed out. Defensive/offensive CDs aren't considered part of a rotation. Otherwise, WoW is just as complicated as you claim FFXIV to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of them require 15 button rotations afaik, unless you're counting their AoE+ST rotations as being part of the same rotation or you're counting CDs into the rotation.

That being said, yeah I get being overwhelmed by looking at BLM rotation guides. Never got into it because of that, went with RDM instead because it has a very simple rotation+burst phase to cycle through on top of having extremely high mobility (also, the utility of being able to rez is insanely useful in some content, as it can spare your healer from having to blow 1/4th their mana or you could literally be rezzing the healer).

DNC and BRD are also pretty simple to play, as someone pointed out DRG seems like it can be a lot but it actually only amounts to about 5-7 buttons for its main rotation, with a bunch of CDs to fit into it. Can't speak for NIN or MNK, the increased speed of their rotations combined with the positioning modifiers was just asking for me to get a repetitive strain injury. SAM had a bunch of positional requirements that also discouraged me from ever getting it to 80, so I've no practice with its full rotation either. MCH I didn't find too complicated either, but I would rate it as the most mechanically difficult ranged phys class because it does have two different resources to manage on top of having quite a few personal CDs to be used.

TL; DR: Try RDM, the rotation is very easy and the burst phase is very straightforward. Simplest caster to play, while also having the most durability and utility between the three. Switching between ST and AoE is also easy and straightforward for RDM, as it has no DoTs to manage like BLM or SMN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.