Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So between the back and forth about a wealth tax being punishment for the wealthy, how exactly is increasing the retirement age not comparable?

I mean, he is proposing for company owners to pay more in wages for 5 or more years. That sounds like a burden, a punishment even, it's like he doesn't care because it's not his money.
    You cannot reason with the unreasonable. Nor use logic with the illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So between the back and forth about a wealth tax being punishment for the wealthy, how exactly is increasing the retirement age not comparable?

I mean, he is proposing for company owners to pay more in wages for 5 or more years. That sounds like a burden, a punishment even, it's like he doesn't care because it's not his money.
    It also means that no new jobs open up for 5 more years as well...so younger people will have a harder time getting started on their careers...which will make it harder for them to "prepare for the future"

Also, he talks about how we shouldn't be imposing on peoples freedoms by forcing them to pay higher taxes...but he has no problem imposing on people's freedom by making them work for 5 more years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It also means that no new jobs open up for 5 more years as well...so younger people will have a harder time getting started on their careers...which will make it harder for them to "prepare for the future".
    That's the inherent problem with "people just need to work to earn a living" arguments.

There are not enough jobs. Period. The economy does not allow for anywhere close to 100% labor force participation rates. It's never topped 68%, in fact. You can't make people take up jobs, because there are no jobs for them to take.

So, necessarily, any system which denies support to those who aren't working is a system which knowingly picks a good percentage of its population to die. And that shrinks the economy, reducing jobs. Meaning more people get to die. Which shrinks the economy, reducing jobs . . .

It's a death spiral. It's not just misanthropic, it's self-defeating. It does not make sense even if your goal is just to build a healthy, thriving economy and you don't care what the effects on the people are. Making retirees work longer doesn't change the number of workers in the economy, it just denies those opportunities to other workers.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-09-05 at 02:38 AM.

Gotta wonder if this isnt the path libertarians eill eventually follow; In his testimony, Dr Brandt said: "The father of a deformed child wrote to the Fuhrer with a request to be allowed to take the life of this child or this creature. Hitler ordered me to take care of this case. The child had been born blind, seemed to be idiotic, and a leg and parts of the arm were missing."

The boy is believed to have been given luminal in the form of a dissolving tablet, causing unconsciousness and death after three to five days. The drug was later used on other victims of the euthanasia programme.

Only a month after the baby's killing, in August 1939, Hitler's Interior Ministry issued the decree ordering the systematic annihilation of mentally and physically disabled children.

The new report contains the most comprehensive analysis yet of Nazi records, including the hundreds of hospitals and clinics that took part in the Third Reich's programme to wipe out the lives of people considered "unworthy of living". It contains names and case details of 200,000 of the programme's estimated 275,000 victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Gotta wonder if this isnt the path libertarians eill eventually follow; In his testimony, Dr Brandt said: "The father of a deformed child wrote to the Fuhrer with a request to be allowed to take the life of this child or this creature. Hitler ordered me to take care of this case. The child had been born blind, seemed to be idiotic, and a leg and parts of the arm were missing."

The boy is believed to have been given luminal in the form of a dissolving tablet, causing unconsciousness and death after three to five days. The drug was later used on other victims of the euthanasia programme.

Only a month after the baby's killing, in August 1939, Hitler's Interior Ministry issued the decree ordering the systematic annihilation of mentally and physically disabled children.

The new report contains the most comprehensive analysis yet of Nazi records, including the hundreds of hospitals and clinics that took part in the Third Reich's programme to wipe out the lives of people considered "unworthy of living". It contains names and case details of 200,000 of the programme's estimated 275,000 victims.
    Someone that is fine with "normal" children going hungry probably won't have much of a problem with euthanizing disabled children

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

One of the places where this was done had the perps celebrate with cake when they'd killed the 1000th "unfit subject", if I recall.

I'm 100% sure that a number of Libertarians would be A OK with eliminating anyone that'd need care from society all throughout life. I'd be on the list myself, with my diagnosis. I work and pay taxes, but society has used resources to help me in my adult life via diagnosis, planning, assistance...

Between that and their fantastic take on child prostitution I simply cannot view them as anything but dangerous cretins that should never be allowed power.

I do not believe there is much to say on this topic now that the thread has been officially Godwinned. It has been a 20-page dogpile in any event.