Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer Keeps Crashing for Months, Please Help!

Hey everyone! Since June, my PC has been randomly shutting down on its own after logging into windows. Some times it rolling restarts, sometimes it’s a BSoD with Video Scheduler Internal Error, sometimes it won’t just start.
    I have an older PC and I started off replacing all the parts one at a time to see if it’s a faulty hardware issue. I started off with the graphics card, then the memory, then the power supply, and then with the hard drives I have in my older PC to see it’s a windows issue as well. But the issue just continued. I cleaned out my system, reinstalled windows, and it still continued. It got to the point where I couldn’t even access bios on my system after turning it on, so I assumed the motherboard must have died out.
    I was able to get a new one since it’s still under warranty, and my PC was fixed! At least till recently, when the issue just hit me again. I called Asrock technical support thinking it could be the motherboard they sent me as a replacement. They asked me to get new memory that’s on their supported list on the website, which I did, and it worked for two days till it started shutting down on me again. I called them again, and they asked me to try a different graphics card and power supply, but the issue persisted…
    I used Restoro to cleaned my PC and fix any other issues since I heard it good for getting rid of BSoD issues, but it didn’t help. I’m getting really tired of not knowing what to do anymore… I’m hoping someone in the community might know what to do? I’ll list down all my PC parts bellow and I hope someone out there can help me because I just want to go back to gaming on my PC and get rid of these hypertension headaches I’ve been getting from trying to figure out what’s wrong with my PC. Thank you in advance for reading this super long post and trying to help me out if you can.

PC Parts-
    Motherboard: Asrock X570 Steel Legend w/ Wifi
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18
    Graphics Card: MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0
    Case: Lian Li Dynamic PC-O11DW
    Hard Drives: 2 of the Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 set up in Raid 0
    Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2019)
    CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 360EX White
    Fans: Lían Li UNI Fan SL120 3 Pack
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit Fully Updated

When you first got the new mobo, you used the old memory still first correct?
    At that point, everything was new except the memory, psu and gfx?
    Were the chips or card oc'd?

Sorry just trying to clarify some of that.

A lot of people use this hardware monitor and others like it to see the temperature of all the components.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    This one is free. I have used it and a lot of people use it. Seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    When you first got the new mobo, you used the old memory still first correct?
    At that point, everything was new except the memory, psu and gfx?
    Were the chips or card oc'd?

Sorry just trying to clarify some of that.
    When I got the replacement motherboard, I used the memory sticks I had before till the issue started happening again. After that I bought a new set that was compatible to the motherboard/cpu combo according to the Asrock website and it only worked for a couple of days. I replaced the graphics card and PSU with the ones from my older PC to see if they were the issue but my PC would still crash. My 2070 super isn’t overclocked and my CPU just have precision boost enabled

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    A lot of people use this hardware monitor and others like it to see the temperature of all the components.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    This one is free. I have used it and a lot of people use it. Seems to work well.
    I’ve been using this too and I haven’t noticed any temperature increase to cause a crash. CPU goes above 60C when I’m using chrome and graphics card remains around 35-45C

memory sticks try running them solo in furthest bracket from cpu

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    memory sticks try running them solo in furthest bracket from cpu
    To test out the sticks or the slots? Cuz I tried three different sets up sticks

Looks like decent hardware, did you reinstall Windows when putting in new hardware?, I think you could be right about the motherboard, I love a good motherboard nowadays for how much potential functionality it can give you in the future and I usually stick with Asus. Another question would be about the fans which are daisy chained together and plugged into the same plug on the motherboard?. This can be excessive amps for that single plug depending on what it is rated at.

While I used to have raid 0 on old HDDs, Im not sure about the stability or even any real improvement in speed from taking a gen 4 SSD to raid 0 since it is already insane fast and linus tech tips has a very good video on most of his own tech guys not being able to tell the difference between the different generations of SSD, and this included a gen 4 and a Sata type.

Anyway, I hope you find the answer soon, I know how much it sucks to deal with an unreliable computer when it is the best portal for entertainment in your house.

here is that linus tech tips video

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Looks like decent hardware, did you reinstall Windows when putting in new hardware?, I think you could be right about the motherboard, I love a good motherboard nowadays for how much potential functionality it can give you in the future and I usually stick with Asus. Another question would be about the fans which are daisy chained together and plugged into the same plug on the motherboard?. This can be excessive amps for that single plug depending on what it is rated at.

While I used to have raid 0 on old HDDs, Im not sure about the stability or even any real improvement in speed from taking a gen 4 SSD to raid 0 since it is already insane fast and linus tech tips has a very good video on most of his own tech guys not being able to tell the difference between the different generations of SSD, and this included a gen 4 and a Sata type.

Anyway, I hope you find the answer soon, I know how much it sucks to deal with an unreliable computer when it is the best portal for entertainment in your house.

here is that linus tech tips video
    I’m in the middle of reinstalling windows completely again. As well as removing the Raid 0 this time to see if that could be the issue. For the fans, they run to a fan hub that connects to the motherboard and gets power straight from the mother supply so I’m not sure if they could be the issue but I can check. I’m hoping it’s not the motherboard again but I’ll test further. Thanks for the advice and awesome video link!

What about Power Supply.

Please check yours to make sure it can deliver the required wattage.

I had a bunch of HDDs in one computer a long time ago, and it was fine until I accessed them, then my computer just crashed.

When its random shutdowns, restarts, and gpu crashing its almost always the power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    When its random shutdowns, restarts, and gpu crashing its almost always the power supply.
    Updated: Got a Video Internal Scheduler Error BSoD when installing fresh Windows on formatted NVMes. I swapped the power supply for the other one on my older PC and issue happened again, I’m dying here

Make sure you don't have multiple GPU drivers installed and check your CPU temps and voltage in ryzen master since hwmonitor etc gives wrong readings for some ryzen cpus

Given that you've replaced video card, memory, power supply, motherboard and hard drives this is definitely a mystery.

I think the most interesting thing you mentioned is not being able to access bios, I'm guessing you can access bios from the new motherboard?

While I don't have an immediate solution, a lot of times, something this random is a physical thing, and not a component failure.

If it were me I'd try the following:

(Disclaimer, I know these things sound corny, but I do them anyways)

1. Make sure everything is clean, dust free, no tiny screws left lying around, that sort of stuff.
    2. Then I'd reseat all the connectors, cables, cards, memory, cpu etc...
    3. Next I would verify all the connectors are correct, like the usb connectors, fan connectors, speaker connectors, and the annoying on/off switch, hdd lights cluster of connectors.
    4. Then I'd look and see if there are any hotspots like hard drives or other parts mounted to close together, or hotspots on the mother board or other components.
    5. Run windows in safe mode and see if you still get crashes.
    6. Install linux just to see if its some kind of windows / driver sorta thing.
    7. If you suspect the power supply, you can buy a power supply tester pretty cheap. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WW13H83...pply%20Testers)

Quote Originally Posted by WoWFlame View Post
    Updated: Got a Video Internal Scheduler Error BSoD when installing fresh Windows on formatted NVMes. I swapped the power supply for the other one on my older PC and issue happened again, I’m dying here
    This is an odd error to be getting when installing on formatted nvme's. Are you sure you're booting from a flash drive direct from POST and running the install from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    This is an odd error to be getting when installing on formatted nvme's. Are you sure you're booting from a flash drive direct from POST and running the install from there?
    Yep I removed the Raid 0, sanitized the NVMes in bios, ran the windows media installer from my USB. When it got to choosing which drive to install it to, I formatted both the partitioned one of them into 100gbs for boot storage, then after it got the part where I log into a Microsoft account in the installer, got BSoD. Happened 3 times

I had a similar problem. Turned out I had my OS drive AND additional drives hooked up at the time of installing windows. This caused some of the files to load onto all the drives, and not be isolated to the single OS drive.

If you have additional drives installed, wipe it all, unplug the additional drives, and do a fresh install of windows only on your dedicated OS drive.
    Hope this helps! these issues suck ass

Normally I'd say PSU here, but you've already swapped that.

At this point, go one deeper, use a different outlet or even circuit. The power in your house could be fluctuating. A surge protector or UPS might help.

Could also try disconnecting everything from the PC. All peripherals, just run with one drive, even disconnect from the case running on a tabletop in case something in there is fucking it.

We're really in the "things sometimes be fucky" territory, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by s281 View Post
    I had a similar problem. Turned out I had my OS drive AND additional drives hooked up at the time of installing windows. This caused some of the files to load onto all the drives, and not be isolated to the single OS drive.

If you have additional drives installed, wipe it all, unplug the additional drives, and do a fresh install of windows only on your dedicated OS drive.
    Hope this helps! these issues suck ass
    yeah this might be it

Quote Originally Posted by WoWFlame View Post
    Yep I removed the Raid 0, sanitized the NVMes in bios, ran the windows media installer from my USB. When it got to choosing which drive to install it to, I formatted both the partitioned one of them into 100gbs for boot storage, then after it got the part where I log into a Microsoft account in the installer, got BSoD. Happened 3 times
    I think your original idea that the motherboard is bad was correct and still is correct, at this point I know that replacing the motherboard is the biggest pain in the ass in a computer but that is probably your next best bet and that means finding a decent motherboard that is not Asrock. With how many people are getting stuck with motherboards from things like Newegg shuffle (including me) you can probably find one cheap as heck.
    Last edited by khazmodan; 2021-09-16 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

We're really in the "things sometimes be fucky" territory, sadly.
    Speaking of that, during the build for my cousins pc, one mobo screw had fallen behind the mobo and was making a small connection between the frame and something else. It took me forfuckingever to finally find it was that causing it not to start correctly.

I felt so stupid.
    But sometimes yea it can be something really little and dumb.

I was thinking about his timings and voltages being off at first but he doesn't oc.