Thread: Facebook down

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Best part is they were celebrating someone who's made what 60 billion off facebook losing a few billion yesterday to only make most of it back the next day.

Looks like this will be the witch hunts that were in full force in the 80s on TV and the "shock' jocks in the 90s on radio.

Nothing will come of it because of the 1st amendment except political and religious fund raising.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Nothing will come of it because of the 1st amendment except political and religious fund raising.
    I mean, there are absolutely plenty of strong arguments for the government to break up Facebook, legally. The pressure has been building for a while and hopefully this will be the catalyst for action. It seems clear that the government does need to step up their game when it comes to internet regulation, especially social media platforms.

Curious how a lot of ISP networks went down as well...

The billions of devices spamming the routing to a downed facebook (and associated apps) flooded them, similar to a DDOS attack? :thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Curious how a lot of ISP networks went down as well...
    Which ones? I haven't heard of any ISP outages resulting from this, though services reliant on Facebook weren't going to work while Facebook was broken completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Which ones? I haven't heard of any ISP outages resulting from this, though services reliant on Facebook weren't going to work while Facebook was broken completely.
    A number of them were down here in Ireland (Eir, Vodafone, Virgin, Imag!ne... probably others). I'm with Imag!ne, connection was gone completely till 4am yesterday.

There's Facebook data centers here.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-10-05 at 11:54 PM.

A number of them were down here in Ireland (Eir, Vodafone, Virgin, Imag!ne... probably others). I'm with Imag!ne, connection was gone completely till 4am yesterday.

There are data centers all over the place. Weird that those went down, but it seems to be a local thing and I haven't the technical knowledge to even take a credible guess as to why.

seems local, vodafone was fine in iceland

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    seems local, vodafone was fine in iceland
    Are you in Iceland, or the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Are you in Iceland, or the United States?
    i am currently in iceland. i dont live in iceland. lol dont come find me now liam neeson with your particular set of skills.

i am currently in iceland. i dont live in iceland. lol dont come find me now liam neeson with your particular set of skills.
    I just noticed an ongoing trend of people swearing they are Americans, or in America... and then it turns out they are elsewhere.

Looks like we have another.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I just noticed an ongoing trend of people swearing they are Americans, or in America... and then it turns out they are elsewhere.

Looks like we have another.
    that seems, a little crazy. lmfao have you never heard of a vacation? LOL

that seems, a little crazy. lmfao have you never heard of a vacation? LOL
    /wink

Meanwhile, it's clear that this was an issue with Facebook's own issue, and not a more widespread one.

The only Failbook service worth a damn and should be spun off from Failbook as private independent company is WhatsApp.

The rest... Needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The only Failbook service worth a damn and should be spun off from Failbook as private independent company is WhatsApp.

The rest... Needs to go.
    WhatsApp with its new privacy policy changes needs to go as well imo. Give users a little bit of time to migrate to other platforms if they want and then burn all of Facebook's "services" down to the fucking ground.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Pretty sure facebook does not own TikTok.
    I think you missed the point entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I think you missed the point entirely.
    That this thread is about facebook servers going down and thus all of facebook's services alongside with it? While you try to go on a rant about something completely unrelated?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    That this thread is about facebook servers going down and thus all of facebook's services alongside with it? While you try to go on a rant about something completely unrelated?
    You're the only one that missed it. Let me explain it for you. Facebook is social media, he doesn't think it's good for people. TikTok is also social media, he also thinks it's not good for people. He WISHES it went down along with all the Facebook apps even thought they are not related. I am sure he could have added twitter or something else, but that's the product he chose. Do you understand now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    You're the only one that missed it. Let me explain it for you. Facebook is social media, he doesn't think it's good for people. TikTok is also social media, he also thinks it's not good for people. He WISHES it went down along with all the Facebook apps even thought they are not related. I am sure he could have added twitter or something else, but that's the product he chose. Do you understand now?
    Yeah, I wish MMO-C had also gone down.

An interesting article on how much the world has become dependent on the various FB services.

Facebook’s Apps Went Down. The World Saw How Much It Runs on Them.

In Mexico, politicians were cut off from their constituents. In Turkey and Kenya, shopkeepers couldn’t sell their wares. And in Colombia, a nonprofit organization that uses WhatsApp to connect victims of gender-based violence to lifesaving services found its work impaired.

In parts of the developing world, the cost of the Facebook outage was particularly acute. In India, Latin America and Africa, its services are essentially the internet for many people — almost a public utility, usually cheaper than a phone call and depended upon for much of the communication and commerce of daily life.

Cosas de Mujeres, the nonprofit in Colombia, has hundreds of interactions every month with Colombian women and Venezuelan migrant women who face domestic and emotional violence or are at risk of trafficking or sexual exploitation, said Ms. Berryhill, the organization’s director of digital operations.

“Usually we have phone operators receiving messages from women all day via WhatsApp, but that was not possible, and women could not contact us,” she said.

María Elena Divas, a 51-year-old Venezuelan migrant in Bogotá, Colombia, uses WhatsApp to take orders for snacks like empanadas.

“I didn’t sell anything today,” Ms. Divas said.

Across Africa, Facebook’s apps are so popular that for many, they are the internet. WhatsApp, the continent’s most popular messaging app, is a one-stop shop to communicate with family, friends, colleagues, fellow worshipers and neighbors.

In Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, anything from shoes and jewelry to plants and household appliances can be ordered for delivery from Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp. In Johannesburg, vendors were cut off from Facebook Marketplace, which is used to sell everything from used cars to wigs and even corrugated iron shacks, known colloquially as zozos.

The use of WhatsApp has grown so much that at one point it accounted for nearly half of all internet traffic in Zimbabwe. During the outage on Monday, the chief government spokesman in Tanzania used Twitter to urge the public to “remain calm.”

“Our business came to a standstill,” said Lydia Mutune, owner of a pots and plants store in Nairobi that sells exclusively on Facebook and Instagram. “It was a wake-up call. It just showed me how my business and our lives are totally dependent on social media platforms.”

Drogasmil, a pharmacy chain in Brazil, takes many prescription orders via WhatsApp, said Rafael Silva, a Drogasmil pharmacist in Rio de Janeiro.

Selen Bayrak, owner of a small shop in Istanbul that sells spicy marmalades and sauces, said 80 percent of her sales were normally made through Instagram. She estimated that she managed to sell only a quarter of what she could have sold yesterday had Instagram not been down.

In Mexico, many small-town newspapers cannot afford print editions, so they publish on Facebook instead. That has left local governments without a physical outlet to issue important announcements, so they, too, have taken to Facebook, said Adrián Pascoe, a political consultant.

A municipality Mr. Pascoe is consulting for was unable to introduce its new services on Monday because the site was down. The announcement will take place on Wednesday instead, he said.

León David Pérez’s two companies, including Polimatía, which provides e-learning courses, rely on Facebook and Instagram to market their products. The customer service department is run on WhatsApp.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, there are absolutely plenty of strong arguments for the government to break up Facebook, legally. The pressure has been building for a while and hopefully this will be the catalyst for action. It seems clear that the government does need to step up their game when it comes to internet regulation, especially social media platforms.
    what are they, because the main point of them being a monopoly is easily proven incorrect.

Anti competitive actions are a much better route for the govt to take and can even result in breaking up parts of the business because of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    An interesting article on how much the world has become dependent on the various FB services.

Facebook’s Apps Went Down. The World Saw How Much It Runs on Them.
    LOL imagine something really important goes down like VISA/Mastercard processing...

"dependent" is a hard word to wrap my head around. I guess if its the only platform you use as a small business, but really if you don't have business continuity / Business interruption insurance i don't know what to say.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!