Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    38,465
    Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    What are you talking about? Metzen was the father of this setting. He built the foundation and watched closely as it was expanded and supplemented. Putting Metzen on a par with writers for hire is pretty weird.
    Metzen's contributions are a bit more focused on the RTS days of Warcraft and less WoW, where the responsibilities for writing became more divided between a writing staff. Allen Adham and Ron Millar actually wrote the majority of WC1, but Metzen took on the responsibility for WC2 and much of WC3 and WC3: TFT (where he was the creative director but the game had several writers on board). Metzen's role in WoW up until his retirement was primarily working on major cinematics, giving storyboard feedback, and art direction across multiple IP's in Blizzard's portfolio. Calling him "the father of the setting" is appropriate, sure; but that doesn't mean he was the sole person involved, especially in terms of WoW's story development.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  2. #22
    Warchief Toho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Accolonn did a great breakdown of this on youtube: Are you a new player who was forced to play through BFA? Did you learn ANYTHING about the major warcraft characters before meeting them in Shadowlands? That's actually a huge problem. Especially if you just played Wacraft 3, these characters don't resemble those at all. Why isnt Thrall A Shaman? Why is Sylvanas evil now? FF14 story sucks at least its presented in a way that makes sense.
    I literally just pulled a video of this guy and within 5 minutes I cannot stand him... why you recommend a nobody with his fanboy takes?
    There is zero objectivity or analysis here...
    shame on you, now I need something to unsee this crap.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by sighy View Post
    The farther along this gets the more reminiscent of Rise of the Skywalker it becomes. They should probably check their writing room, for an invasive species of JarJar Abrahamses.
    Next expansion: Somehow Sargeras returned (teased in a fortnite event).
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

  4. #24
    The Lightbringer Jazzhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Who knows.
    Posts
    3,217
    They really should just nuke it and start over if that's what they want. This stupid shit they're pulling to try and make this all look super planned out and intricate Is just making things worse. None of this goes back to WC3, they just found open ends and shoved this into them.

  5. #25
    Warchief Toho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    They really should just nuke it and start over if that's what they want. This stupid shit they're pulling to try and make this all look super planned out and intricate Is just making things worse. None of this goes back to WC3, they just found open ends and shoved this into them.
    would you trust these clowns do a do-over justice? I doubt it.

  6. #26
    It has been apparent since Legion that they're "blowing out" the old lore, wrapping up what they can as they go. Danuser's statement about "last chapter of a book" statement confirms that to me. Legion defeated, faction war all but dead (first half of BFA), old gods vanquished (second half of BFA), now whatever they're going to wrap up in Zereth Mortis. They're unshackling themselves from the old Warcraft lore, bit by bit. The one outstanding issue is how (or if?) they deal with Void Lords.

    At this point, I'm fine with them ripping off the Thanos snap, and we get "WoW 2", but that would require them having been secretly working on an Azeroth revamp, and frankly I don't see Blizzard bothering with such ambitious aims. They can't have another unpopular expansion, so I see them going as safe as possible for 10.0. Hopefully I am totally wrong, but there's too much precedent with this company.
    hippogryph.help

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    I literally just pulled a video of this guy and within 5 minutes I cannot stand him... why you recommend a nobody with his fanboy takes?
    There is zero objectivity or analysis here...
    shame on you, now I need something to unsee this crap.
    You can't objectively analyze story, sis. But he knows more about story, or what players actually want, more than Bellular or Talesin.

  8. #28
    Warchief Toho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    You can't objectively analyze story, sis. But he knows more about story, or what players actually want, more than Bellular or Talesin.
    Lmao you can absolutely objectively analyze the story. What are you talking about?

    Earlier I was wondering what sort of a simpleton would follow this tool and I guess I have my answer.

    Edit: I knew I would be infracted for this but it needed to be said.
    Last edited by Toho; 2021-11-12 at 04:27 PM.

  9. #29
    I don't have the credentials to criticize any writing, story structure, plots or anything else of that nature. As a fan of Warcraft since WC3, as someone who has played WoW since the beginning and logged hundreds of days played... I can say that since really the end of Legion I don't know who this game is for anymore, but it's not for me.

  10. #30
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    38,465
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I don't have the credentials to criticize any writing, story structure, plots or anything else of that nature. As a fan of Warcraft since WC3, as someone who has played WoW since the beginning and logged hundreds of days played... I can say that since really the end of Legion I don't know who this game is for anymore, but it's not for me.
    You don't really need any kind of professional credential to criticize writing - your criticism may not be as specific or clear in some cases, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid. Recognizing the game perhaps isn't for you anymore, or the story has gone in a direction you don't particularly enjoy, is valid enough of a critical stance.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

  11. #31
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I would say that 'fan fiction' is an entirely appropriate term for Shadowlands. Someone -not the original author(s) has gotten hold of the material and taken it away from the intended scope. I'm not expecting a seamless transition from the old Metzen days but the changes and reframing that has been done in SL is jarring at best.
    Nah, calling SL fan-fiction is insult to fanfictions. For all the bad rep they get, fanfictions can actually be really good, and are often written by people who are sincerely passionate and invested into franchise. You can't say the same thing about SL.

  12. #32
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,890
    There were plenty of times in Shadowlands where I asked myself if this was even a warcraft story(outside the crumbs of the plot w/ familiar faces). There is so little of us and what ties things to Azeroth that SLs could've been any new scifi-fantasy game.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  13. #33
    Shadowlands obviously isn't fanfiction, given that it's produced by the holders of the IP, but I could see how it might feel like that. Personally, I don't see that big of a difference between Shadowlands and TBC (in terms of lore ramifications) other than Shadowlands has a more consistent narrative ("Let's go to Outland to stop the Legion, then forget about them and kill Illidan instead!" wasn't particularly coherent). We go to some alien world, meet a bunch of new people, expand the cosmos with some bizarre multi-dimensional trading race, and encounter a bunch of old WC3 characters. Causalities for a few ancient events are shifted around to make for a "better" narrative. The villains' motivations are oblique and not really discussed until the final hour, and some characters thoughts dead resurface as new villains. In that regard, Shadowlands feels very much like a TBC/WotLK love child, taking the experience of the first and framing it against the actors of the second (Lich King, Dreadlords, etc.).

  14. #34
    Aslong as SL isnt as much of a story mess as classic or tbc or a fan fiction like woltk, Iam fine with it.

    People this days just enjoy flamjng the game + sylvanas overstayed her welcome

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Accolonn did a great breakdown of this on youtube: Are you a new player who was forced to play through BFA? Did you learn ANYTHING about the major warcraft characters before meeting them in Shadowlands? That's actually a huge problem. Especially if you just played Wacraft 3, these characters don't resemble those at all. Why isnt Thrall A Shaman? Why is Sylvanas evil now? FF14 story sucks at least its presented in a way that makes sense.
    While i don't really agree with many of his takes this is a good point. The story is centered on characters, who effectively do nothing, appear scarsely and when they do their behavior often changes drastically, in some seemingly random direction doing things that make no sense, if you don't watch several interviews explaining it.

  16. #36
    The Lightbringer Jazzhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Who knows.
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    would you trust these clowns do a do-over justice? I doubt it.
    I mean like FF14 nuke it. Not quite a re-do, more a re-make. A lot of people have suggested this for a WoW 2. It'd basically just create a new world set in the old world so they're only kind of shitting all over the lore we know and love instead of desecrating it entirely.

    Problem is no one can actually write anything worth anything these days so they basically have to live off the old lore, look at how awful it is even when they rely on it.

  17. #37
    I'm just waiting for the announcement that Anduin is actually Jaina and Arthas' lovechild, who is going to travel in time to do some weird shit.

    World of Warcraft : The Cursed Child Cashgrab.

  18. #38
    besides that I think this is a Fanfic.

    I think they want to write their "new lore" only that in their new lore there are only humans so they charged the Horde, Forsaken and Kaldorei.
    When they say "end of the book" they mean that they are going to destroy all the lore of WoW.

  19. #39
    Titan Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    11,595
    Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Aslong as SL isnt as much of a story mess as classic or tbc or a fan fiction like woltk, Iam fine with it.

    People this days just enjoy flamjng the game + sylvanas overstayed her welcome
    Not sure you could say that Classic had a story. More like each zone had its own mini story. Perhaps I was too invested in all the rest, but I don't think Classic had a grand narrative guiding the game, you know, other than player being an adventurer fresh of the farm wanting to make a name for themselves.

    The only thing of greater significance that occurs to me - at least prior to the later stages of Vanilla - is the whole thing with Onyxia infiltrating SW's court.

  20. #40
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Nah, calling SL fan-fiction is insult to fanfictions. For all the bad rep they get, fanfictions can actually be really good, and are often written by people who are sincerely passionate and invested into franchise. You can't say the same thing about SL.
    And then there's things like 50 Shades of Grey, starting as a fanfiction of the Twilight series - which, according to St. Meyer, is "loosly based" on Pride an Prejudice, A Midsummernights Dream, Wuthering heights, Romeo and Julia etc. Oh, and Anne of Green Gables.

    Well...some fan's fiction should have remained - fictitious.
    Last edited by Raginhari; 2021-11-12 at 05:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •