Thread: Zereth Mortis

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Zereth Mortis

Does anyone else feel like it is similar to the Emerald Dream?
    They are both the blueprints for "the world" - one's, supposedly, for Azeroth while the other is for Afterlives and, basically, everything else in the universe. Both experiment with flora and fauna.

"Zereth Mortis is a strange, alien location that defies all concepts of reality or physics. It is divided between a dry desert biome—perhaps showing what the realm looked like when the First Ones were establishing the space for themselves—and a lush forested one—a testbed for their experimentation on plant and animal life."

"Freya, a creation of the benevolent titans, created the Emerald Dream to serve as the underlying blueprint for the planet Azeroth.
    The Emerald Dream also has multiple layers, described by Cenarius as different testing versions of Azeroth. These layers were created because the titans invested a great deal of work in perfecting their design of Azeroth, and so, the finished design of the planet was the product of many previous flawed or unfinished models. Each layer represents an abandoned segment or idea that the titans tried and ultimately discarded. Malfurion observed that it looks like neither the mortal plane nor the Emerald Dream. He saw that one mountain peak lacked its northern face, while another peak looked as if someone had started molding it like clay but had lost interest. These older layers were normally uninhabited, invisible and incomplete, therefore limited in scope, relative to the finalized Dream. But they could be accessed by any who knew how to navigate them."

(Not a picture of the Emerald Dream, but still).

It is a similar case with Un'goro Crater, Sholazar Basin and Vale of Eternal Blossoms:

"When the Titans shaped Azeroth, Freya designed Un'Goro Crater to be an area for experimentation along with Sholazar Basin and the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. All three locations were places where the power of the Well of Eternity had coalesced. The Wild Gods emerged from these cradles of life. According to Nablya you might call Un'Goro Crater the Titans' petri dish. This coincides with theories of Un'Goro being the home of the Titans when they inhabited Kalimdor.

From the Shaper's Terrace Freya performed tests and experiments, though ever since she left, Nablya has taken her place to observe and watch over Un'Goro. Normally the titanic watchers do not interfere with the matters of Azeroth, but here in Un'Goro, they are free to take a more direct approach. As Un'Goro is the experimental ground of the Titans, it is their right to do so. Many of the creatures in the crater existed long before the titans arrived, but some did not.

Incubus voice-over lines.
    The last one is: "A forest full of dreams. All about me, i'm sure."
    Now, i did an Emerald Dream expansion concept thread. One of its zones is about wet dreams, featuring Succubuses and Incubuses (who are dream demons in myth).
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ream-Expansion
    Possible Emerald Dream hint (like Zereth Mortis)?

There's definitely some connections to the Titans, especially considering the use of waygates and the Azerite in Zereth Mortis.

Now, does anyone else feel disappointed at the fact that the Eternal Ones are just perfected robots and so is everyone else? It ruins the mystery behind them or anything else in the Warcraft universe. Where do they come from, who created them, what their intentions are and so forth...We're, basically, at the part where we are in the highest dimension possible - the creators' own domain. Where do we go from here?

Last edited by username993720; 2022-01-02 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Where do we go from here?
    To the domain of the creators who created the creators.

Firstest ones are coming!

Well, this will explain a lot:

So, basically, the Emerald Dream would be Zereth Vitae - and not the creation of the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    To the domain of the creators who created the creators.
    The supposed clockmaker

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Firstest ones are coming!
    But this time it's the real deal, we promise

Things are pointing towards the First Ones being the Titans themselves.

Does anyone else feel like it is similar to the Emerald Dream?
    They are both the blueprints for "the world" - one's, supposedly, for Azeroth while the other is for Afterlives and, basically, everything else in the universe. Both experiment with flora and fauna.
    Your premise is incorrect. Zereth Mortis is not a blueprint, it's a factory complex. That's like calling a 3D-printer a model file.
    The Emerald Dream also doesn't "experiment" with anything. Un'goro and Sholazaar are not part of the Emerald Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by mingarrubia View Post
    Things are pointing towards the First Ones being the Titans themselves.
    Then Order would have an unfair advantage over the other cosmic forces. Perhaps, they are immitating them.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Your premise is incorrect. Zereth Mortis is not a blueprint, it's a factory complex. That's like calling a 3D-printer a model file.
    The Emerald Dream also doesn't "experiment" with anything. Un'goro and Sholazaar are not part of the Emerald Dream.
    Yes it is. We see unfinished Eternal Ones and proto-fauna just like it is said there are unfinished areas in the Emerald Dream.

Did you even read the OP? It is said that the Titans experimented with several version of Azeroth.

Un'goro and Sholazar are testbeds of the Titans, just like the Emerald Dream.

Haha so basically

He saw that one mountain peak lacked its northern face, while another peak looked as if someone had started molding it like clay but had lost interest. These older layers were normally uninhabited, invisible and incomplete, therefore limited in scope, relative to the finalized Dream. But they could be accessed by any who knew how to navigate them.
    Is describing old maps of unfinished zones. Like the old Outlands pre-TBC or the old Emerald Dream zones.

"could be accessed by any who knew how to navigate them." is describing those awesome out of bounds exploring player videos.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

I really don't like where they took the lore this expansion

Quote Originally Posted by prazulsatlaret View Post
    I really don't like where they took the lore this expansion
    you and a crap tons of others. i find this lore worse than wod and wod made the legion an almost literal cartoon army with infinite soldiers that can't conquer one planet.

Yes it is. We see unfinished Eternal Ones and proto-fauna just like it is said there are unfinished areas in the Emerald Dream.
    Do you even know what a blueprint is? We see unfinished Eternal Ones in Zereth Mortis because they were just made there, by Zovaal. Because Zereth Mortis is a factory, not a blueprint. It makes stuff, it's not a document detailing how to do so. You're basically arguing that the Emerald Dream isn't a blueprint, either.

I am not disappointed that they are robots. In other Blizzard games, the "superior beings" are usually driven by their rules or passions. Only mortals (who take from the every source of power) are the ones who will inherit creation.

In Diablo, the Nephalem are the union of angels and demons and potentially more powerful than them.

In Starcraft, the Xel Naga are gardeners of the Cosmos who try to promote the union of the purity of essence and the purity of essence. The ones who got them are elevated into Xel Naga.

In WoW, the Chronicles said the universe originated from the conflict of Light and Void. Then the Grimoire highlights the cycle of life and death. The events in Azeroth were set in motion between the War of Order and Chaos. And many mortals races are Titan creations afflicted by the course of flesh.

Probably, the First Ones are also dead. Almost all the Xelnaga were dead in SC, and the corpses of Anu and Tathamet originated the universe in Diablo.

10+ Year Old Account
    i actually like it, am i minority?
    yeah i rolled my eyes when they said 'floating trees' like did u forgot Nagrand, but i feel they doing something familiar and good and at least i like it
    seriously am i minority that i like what i saw so far, or many like it too? i feel solo here...
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't understand how Shadowlands is given the tool to remake reality. What about the other cosmic forces? Do they not have their own Zereth Mortis?
    Why does Shadowlands get exclusive dibs on the reality doomsday machine?

Well whatever as long as it delete the concept of Eternal Ones and First Ones then its totally worth the reality wipe.
    God I hate this expansion just so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Why ANYTHING, in this day and age. SL lore has been a chaotic mess, Jailer went from "omg such a cryptic villain what COULD he be up to?!" to "yes I will delete everything, something no other villain has ever planned to do! Except, you know, ALL OF THEM". At this point it's just comical evil. There is no nuance, no layering, heck not even any MOTIVATION as far as we can see, other than I'm evil & I do bad things & this is the baddest of all things because I am the evilest of all evils. Which is about as deep as a spilled thimble.

I can't imagine them fixing all that bullshit in a single patch, so just swallow the lore as it comes without much justification, rhyme, or reason. SL gets to do this because they say so. The end.

Do you even know what a blueprint is? We see unfinished Eternal Ones in Zereth Mortis because they were just made there, by Zovaal. Because Zereth Mortis is a factory, not a blueprint. It makes stuff, it's not a document detailing how to do so. You're basically arguing that the Emerald Dream isn't a blueprint, either.
    Zovaal didn't create them, the First ones did.
    And for something to be created you need a blueprint first. Not to mention the several failed attempts at first...

I still don't understand how Shadowlands is given the tool to remake reality. What about the other cosmic forces? Do they not have their own Zereth Mortis?

Well whatever as long as it delete the concept of Eternal Ones and First Ones then its totally worth the reality wipe.
    God I hate this expansion just so much...
    Apparently, there are.
    Look at my second comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    And for something to be created you need a blueprint first. Not to mention the several failed attempts at first...

Apparently, there are.
    Look at my second comment.
    The question wasn't if they exist.
    The question is why does only shadowlands gets the reality 3d printer? What about the other 3D printers?

Either the printer only works on shadowlands and only shadowlands alone OR you need ALL cosmic force 3D printers to actually do any real changes to reality.

This is basic fantasy tropes. You need to master all elements, you need all the crystals, you need all the power morphing rangers to build the big robot.

Actually it states right in the encounter journal that he did. And while you need a blueprint, that doesn't make Zereth Mortis one. Zereth Mortis is the factory. The blueprints are just stored somewhere in it. The Emerald Dream was said to be the blueprint.

The question wasn't if they exist.
    The question is why does only shadowlands gets the reality 3d printer? What about the other 3D printers?
    Your question could easily be answered with "any of the Zereths could do the same thing". Mortis would then just be the most accessible to Zovaal.
    Can't stop stage 1 is also a classic writing trope. The villain will always get close to achieving their ambitions, and needing to access all Zereths would be a major hindrance to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it states right in the encounter journal that he did. And while you need a blueprint, that doesn't make Zereth Mortis one. Zereth Mortis is the factory. The blueprints are just stored somewhere in it. The Emerald Dream was said to be the blueprint.

Your question could easily be answered with "any of the Zereths could do the same thing". Mortis would then just be the most accessible to Zovaal.
    Can't stop stage 1 is also a classic writing trope. The villain will always get close to achieving their ambitions, and needing to access all Zereths would be a major hindrance to that.
    If they can all do it then all cosmic forces can turn things back to normal making this whole expansion worthless.

Where do we go from here?
    Probably nowhere. Following the trend since the end of MoP, something bad (even if we win) will probably happen that relates somehow to our world and then we're going back to Azeroth. It's very likely that the eternal ones and pretty much everyone from the Shadowlands except maybe the Jailer won't play any role going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    i actually like it, am i minority?
    yeah i rolled my eyes when they said 'floating trees' like did u forgot Nagrand, but i feel they doing something familiar and good and at least i like it
    seriously am i minority that i like what i saw so far, or many like it too? i feel solo here...
    Nah, Zereth Mortis absolutely looks good. I think people have an issue with how they've hyped up the zone in the introduction video with the special water and how alien everything is, meanwhile it doesn't look really crazy or like anything we haven't seen already... however it still looks great.