Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Here's the thing about the ToS: In the ToS, you don't have to be "Welcoming". You just have to not be an asshole or a jerk. If you come over from WoW and expect to be able to sarcastically say "Hey good job dumbass" when your group wipes, that ain't gonna fly.

If you feel you can't be nice, you can simply say nothing at all, and that's what most people do. Nothing about the ToS forces you to speak with people in the game at all. You can play the entire game and even raid high end content simply by looking up guides on your own.

People call the XIV community welcoming because there are a large number of people who go out of their way to make new players feel welcome. The FFXIV reddit is filled with stories from WoW refugees who just gush about how someone gave them a bunch of free gear, some money, answered their questions, ran them around to get aetherytes in various zones, etc. It's a very very common and heartwarming story to read.

This kind of proactive kindness is not something that is "forced" by the ToS. This is something the players themselves do voluntarily. And is one of the major reasons why people often say it's one of the most welcoming communities.

So yeah, again, shove off with this whole "The positivity is forced by the ToS". Nobody is forced to be positive. You're just forced to not be a jerk. Any kindness beyond "not being a jerk" is 100% on the player to do, and the community does that kindness in spades. Stop spreading misinformation and lies.

- - - Updated - - -

Before I kick someone, I ask in party chat "Hey X, are you ok? Do you need time?" and if they don't respond and continue to sit at the entrance, I vote kick AFK them. That's one form of "calling out" without being ultra toxic about it. No, I can't go "Hey asshole, stop afking you fucking scrub", but I ALWAYS bring attention to them being AFK and am just fine.

Sit down.
    And the thing is, as usual, you go from one extreme to another. I was punished for saying ' we are doing the dungeon with only 3 people'. Was enough to warrant me a warning because it was the first time. Is that toxic ? I do not think so.

Sit down.
    Last edited by Specialka; 2021-11-26 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    And the thing is, as usual, you go from one extreme to another. I was punished for saying ' we are doing the dungeon with only 3 people'. Was enough to warrant me a warning because it was the first time. Is that toxic ? I do not think so.

Sit down.
    Looks like a fat big lie. I've said kinda similar things countless of times and haven't gotten even a warning. Maybe instead of hating the game and/or it's community for whatever reason try to have some fun outside of the game? Because clearly you have some issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Looks like a fat big lie. I've said kinda similar things countless of times and haven't gotten even a warning. Maybe instead of hating the game and/or it's community for whatever reason try to have some fun outside of the game? Because clearly you have some issues with it.
    Nah, I love the game (story wise, the art and music, pve is too easy unfortunately) but the community is not as virtuous as it seems to think it is.

15+ Year Old Account
    And the thing is, as usual, you go from one extreme to another. I was punished for saying ' we are doing the doing with only 3 people'. Was enough to warrant me a warning because it was the first time. Is that toxic ? I do not think so.

Sit down.
    You got a warning. What do you think a warning is? In SE terms, it's a poke, "Hey, that's not the right thing to do, so think on how you say something next time." I've gotten one warning on my account in my entire time playing FFXIV, and I'm not worried about it nor worried about getting more, because I'm confident in my ability to generally not be an asshole.

It's the least severe account action, and just like trolling these forums, it is also the action that wears off the fastest. It is not a permanent mark against your account and has a pretty short duration as far as how long it lingers.

But see, there are many reasons I don't believe you on this kind of thing.

First off, Square does not tell you exactly why they took action against your account. Never have. Never will. It's honestly imo the biggest flaw of the SE system. The fact that they don't tell you why your account was actioned is something of a negative as it doesn't give you an idea of how to improve because you don't even know what you did. Their reason for doing it, privacy of the other party so you don't retaliate against them, is also a sound decision, so it's a tough call, but I understand why they don't tell you exactly why you were warned.

So your claims that you were warned for calling out someone AFK in a dungeon don't fly on that mere fact alone. For however much you may believe that was the reason, you will never know. Because SE has never and will never state the exact reason for the violation.

Second, when I hear someone saying something like "I got warned for X", like say giving advice in a dungeon... I've seen this too often before, not just in FFXIV but every time someone gets in trouble anywhere. People who like to complain about getting punished always downplay the severity of their own actions. It's the one constant I can count on. Have you ever been a part of a dispute, and when both of you or the other guys gets punished, you hear him say "I was only doing X!" and you KNOW for a FACT that he's understating what he did? Yeah. And especially knowing your forum history, I'm all the more likely to feel like you're understating your actions.

As someone who's been a bad faith poster pretty much every time I see you, especially in this thread where you're trying really hard to push your grudge off as the system being overbearing, when you yourself have been an ultra sarcastic bad faith poster that likes to dump on people, why should we believe you?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Nah, I love the game (story wise, the art and music, pve is too easy unfortunately) but the community is not as virtuous as it seems to think it is.
    So? Nobody claims it's perfect. It's just quite nice and welcoming as a whole and it's enough nowadays to get "best community" award. Go play a game or do something nice to yourself, you'll feel better. There is literary zero reason to argue over the fact that people feel good in FF community.

15+ Year Old Account
    And again, as much as you may not think the community is positive, your claim, even if we were to take it at face value, that you were warned merely for saying "We're basically 3 manning this", the ToS does not force people to be positive. You completely skipped over the part where the reddit and twitter are filled with stories about higher level players going out of their way to give sprouts tremendous amounts of help and a loving community.

That kind of positivity is not forced on anyone by the ToS. That's just how the community is.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You got a warning. What do you think a warning is? In SE terms, it's a poke, "Hey, that's not the right thing to do, so think on how you say something next time." I've gotten one warning on my account in my entire time playing FFXIV, and I'm not worried about it nor worried about getting more, because I'm confident in my ability to generally not be an asshole.

It's the least severe account action, and just like trolling these forums, it is also the action that wears off the fastest. It is not a permanent mark against your account and has a pretty short duration as far as how long it lingers.

But see, there are many reasons I don't believe you on this kind of thing.

First off, Square does not tell you exactly why they took action against your account. Never have. Never will. It's honestly imo the biggest flaw of the SE system. The fact that they don't tell you why your account was actioned is something of a negative as it doesn't give you an idea of how to improve because you don't even know what you did. Their reason for doing it, privacy of the other party so you don't retaliate against them, is also a sound decision, so it's a tough call, but I understand why they don't tell you exactly why you were warned.

So your claims that you were warned for calling out someone AFK in a dungeon don't fly on that mere fact alone. For however much you may believe that was the reason, you will never know. Because SE has never and will never state the exact reason for the violation.

Second, when I hear someone saying something like "I got warned for X", like say giving advice in a dungeon... I've seen this too often before, not just in FFXIV but every time someone gets in trouble anywhere. People who like to complain about getting punished always downplay the severity of their own actions. It's the one constant I can count on. Have you ever been a part of a dispute, and when both of you or the other guys gets punished, you hear him say "I was only doing X!" and you KNOW for a FACT that he's understating what he did? Yeah. And especially knowing your forum history, I'm all the more likely to feel like you're understating your actions.

As someone who's been a bad faith poster pretty much every time I see you, especially in this thread where you're trying really hard to push your grudge off as the system being overbearing, when you yourself have been an ultra sarcastic bad faith poster that likes to dump on people, why should we believe you?
    I know it is that because I never speak and I only speak once to say that because it was so obvious and I called him out. And it is not like the admin that summoned me into the jail did not talk to me and told me why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    So? Nobody claims it's perfect. It's just quite nice and welcoming as a whole and it's enough nowadays to get "best community" award. Go play a game or do something nice to yourself, you'll feel better. There is literary zero reason to argue over the fact that people feel good in FF community.
    Well, when you see the others nominees, you know why it won . No real competition, not it would have not won it against other games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know it is that because I never speak and I only speak once to say that because it was so obvious and I called him out. And it is not like the admin that summoned me into the jail did not talk to me and told me why.
    So the admin broke protocol, or this was back in ARR before they implemented more nebulous warning systems, and your warning has already worn off your account years ago. Also I'm still incredibly skeptical that the words you used were as benign as you claim they were. Especially if it happened that long ago.

And as I pointed out above, your claims that the ToS "Force positivity" are just flat out wrong. ToS do not force people to be positive. It forces them to not be toxic or overly negative. Think of a line, anything below that line is against ToS. Anything above it is just extra kindness. You are never allowed to go below that line, but you are not forced to go above that line either. There are a lot of people flying really high above that line and go out of their way to help others. The fact that the other games on the list have pretty awful communities by comparison does not lessen the heights FFXIV players can go to to be nice to others.

So the admin broke protocol, or this was back in ARR before they implemented more nebulous warning systems, and your warning has already worn off your account years ago. Also I'm still incredibly skeptical that the words you used were as benign as you claim they were. Especially if it happened that long ago.

And as I pointed out above, your claims that the ToS "Force positivity" are just flat out wrong. ToS do not force people to be positive. It forces them to not be toxic or overly negative. Think of a line, anything below that line is against ToS. Anything above it is just extra kindness. You are never allowed to go below that line, but you are not forced to go above that line either. There are a lot of people flying really high above that line and go out of their way to help others. The fact that the other games on the list have pretty awful communities by comparison does not lessen the heights FFXIV players can go to to be nice to others.
    Nah, was during Shadowbringer. I did not play in ARR. And that was it, I did not say more.

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    While I can see where they are coming from, at the end of the day .. it's the same show that awarded Dark Souls UGOAT.. So their credibility is better taken with a freight train of sodiumchloride, I'm sure there are smaller communities that are way better. But for the size of the game the community is fairly decent, certainly better than the ones of other games that focus alot of competition and WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Technically every dungeon, in fact every form of instanced content, has a timer.
    Yes, but not every dungeon has rewards or specific triggers in rewards (weekly vault, your key increasing or decreasing its difficulty level, extra loot, etc.) if you complete it within a timer.

It may not seem a big difference on paper, but it is when you play.

That is where I disagree. A part of that 'welcoming' is enforced by the ToS in my opinion and a little bit of circlejerking, nothing more.
    Greeting people and being nice to them isn't enforced. If one wants to shut the heck up and be a solitary grump, you're entirely free to be that as well.

Lmao, WoW wasn't even a nominee

Quote Originally Posted by The Offbeat View Post
    Greeting people and being nice to them isn't enforced. If one wants to shut the heck up and be a solitary grump, you're entirely free to be that as well.
    This. I'm sure there are a few bad eggs, but overall the community is so bloody nice. It's like the people who go on and on about not wanting drama yet are blackholes for it. If you are polite, you will be treated accordingly, in my overwhelming experience. If you're an asshole, unlike WoW, people are less likely to react like an asshole back and just report you. Hardly "passive aggressive", more like acting like a bloody adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Mass Exodus never happened. It shown in quarterly calls. Just wait till 10.0. These are just refugees most will most likely return to WoW.

Already hear stories about ff14 is becoming boring.
    So that extremely well selling diablo 2 remake didn't actually get played to be counted as any MAU's then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Nah, was during Shadowbringer. I did not play in ARR. And that was it, I did not say more.
    Then the GM broke protocol, and I still remain incredibly skeptical on the phrasing you used. GMs only pull you into GM jail to remove people from an ongoing toxic situation so it does not further continue. If you feel you were wronged and were justified in pointing out the person was AFK in a non toxic way, I'm sure you can appeal the warning. If it was as benign as you claim.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2021-11-26 at 11:51 PM.

Then the GM broke protocol, and I still remain incredibly skeptical on the phrasing you used. GMs only pull you into GM jail to remove people from an ongoing toxic situation so it does not further continue. If you feel you were wronged and were justified in pointing out the person was AFK in a non toxic way, I'm sure you can appeal the warning. If it was as benign as you claim.
    Like I cared about appealing that. We had a friendly discussion of about 5 min then he Tped me back to Ul'dah. And I moved on. End of story.

Mass Exodus never happened. It shown in quarterly calls. Just wait till 10.0. These are just refugees most will most likely return to WoW.

You're only hearing stories. None of it is first-hand experience. I can tell you about all the fun myself and everyone is having, but you'll still say you hear stories of it not being fun lol.

No one who hears stories is a resource, not even a secondary resource, since they will only peddle that which fits their existing narrative. Right now wow sucks, mass exodus absolutely happened.

Not regarding any stories, personal first-hand experience. Mentioning to WoW friends that I've been playing FF gets responses like "oh you too?" and comments about how everyone they know seems to have switched. Then give it a try at my suggestion and, lo and behold, they now enjoy it too. I've always struggled to mantain a friends list beneath 200 and yet a large majority of the regulars are now offline for months. Wonder where they're at?

There's literally a subreddit devoted to bad players and their enablers. :P It's rather cathartic since I would say most of my DF experiences have not been positive. I read a comment that said maybe 5% of players in DF are good, 30% decent, and the rest are terrible. I couldn't disagree with that assessment. The difference is few in FFXIV say or do anything about it, but I guarantee if you're doing a bad job you're getting trash talked outside of party chat. Ignorance is bliss.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Unlike Warcraft, Squeenix actually puts out numbers so we know you're objectively incorrect.

Even so, I couldn't possibly care less that your nonexistent person you 'heard' thinks FF14 is boring.

Just less people fighting with me to log in on Endwalker's early access.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Deserved award, but I still think Team Fortress 2 should win the "still playing" every year
    Honestly TF2 should win both of those awards. Disappointed it was just another popularity contest with no real credibility behind it.