Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    About as cheap as you'll likely find that isn't complete garbage. 1080p - https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-E248W...T&srpt=MONITOR

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I've been struggling to find one as well that's under $160. I used to get 1080p 24" monitors falling off trees for like 90-100, and now they just like, dont exist at all. Everything is either 144hz 1440p gsync freesync blah blah blah. I just want to replace a damn 20" WSXGA thing from 2010
    Well if you dont mind them being more like 22” instead of 24, there are a bunch of 1080p 60-75hz displays for 109-119 on PCPartpicker.

Personally, id recommend the local used market. i scored a 24” 1440p Dell (60hz, IPS) last year for like 90$. Basic 1080p monitors around here are 40-60$.

10+ Year Old Account
    Picked up a nice 32 inch 1440p from Costco over the weekend for 250. I was expecting to spend over 350 when I started looking but was very surprised when I saw this.

I know its not exactly what OP is looking for, but as others have said 1080p is starting to go extinct. Try the Used Market on Ebay or somewhere.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I've been struggling to find one as well that's under $160. I used to get 1080p 24" monitors falling off trees for like 90-100, and now they just like, dont exist at all. Everything is either 144hz 1440p gsync freesync blah blah blah. I just want to replace a damn 20" WSXGA thing from 2010
    I was curious if this was the case here in Belgium too, so I checked one of my regular go-to stores and they have loads of 24" 1080p monitors as low as €129 (~$146).

I'm genuinely curious as to why they're still readily available here, but not in the US. Usually it's the other way around.

Just because you have a larger monitor doesn't mean that you need to set your video card to drive every pixel. Most TVs will adjust automatically, simply find a resolution you like and that works on your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I was curious if this was the case here in Belgium too, so I checked one of my regular go-to stores and they have loads of 24" 1080p monitors as low as €129 (~$146).

I'm genuinely curious as to why they're still readily available here, but not in the US. Usually it's the other way around.
    Theyre available… for about the 150$ they are in your neck of the woods. What Chazus is saying is that as little as 9 momths ago they were 90$ or so. And now, poof, 150$. Which is a tad steep for a basic 1080p panel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ended up pulling the trigger on two Samsung 24" ones that were on sale for ~$130 after taxes. More than I would have preferred but it was either that or just don't get a third monitor.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08J4JRRCT (I got spooked a moment, looked this morning and they're $249 now)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    Gaming ? stay away from 4k for now. Its just dumb
    Both me and my rig disagree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I mean, breh, I rock 3080Ti and I have to agree with the statement that 4k is not really there yet. It's getting there, many thanks to DLSS and such, but you still can't really combine top notch quality with actual good frame rates.

You can get pretty decent mix, but that's about it and it costs arm and leg to do so.

1440p is much more sensible now - you can get top notch quality with all the eye candy, great FPS and it will cost 1/2 of what 4k setup will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe next gen when 4060Ti will be like 3080Ti now and decent 4k monitors will cost less, it will be more reasonable.

Just because it can be made to work doesn't mean it's ideal or even a good to do lol.
    The GPU alone will cost more than an entire system capable of running 1080p at higher fps, so yeah .. generally it's kinda dumb to do it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I mean, breh, I rock 3080Ti and I have to agree with the statement that 4k is not really there yet. It's getting there, many thanks to DLSS and such, but you still can't really combine top notch quality with actual good frame rates.

You can get pretty decent mix, but that's about it and it costs arm and leg to do so.

1440p is much more sensible now - you can get top notch quality with all the eye candy, great FPS and it will cost 1/2 of what 4k setup will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe next gen when 4060Ti will be like 3080Ti now and decent 4k monitors will cost less, it will be more reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Just because it can be made to work doesn't mean it's ideal or even a good to do lol.
    The GPU alone will cost more than an entire system capable of running 1080p at higher fps, so yeah .. generally it's kinda dumb to do it
    I disagree and disagree.
    I have a 3080 and 4k/120hz OLED monitor.
    I've been running 4k for 7-8 years now. Even back when it was 4k/30hz. 30hz is too low, 60hz is fine. 120hz is not much difference.
    You two seem to be those "240hz or FO" types. I don't care about shooters. That's the genre I almost never play, and when I do, 120 fps is more than enough.
    In RPGs, strategy games, survivals, etc, fps at 60 is more than enough.
    Superior image quality > hertz.

I disagree and disagree.
    I have a 3080 and 4k/120hz OLED monitor.
    I've been running 4k for 7-8 years now. Even back when it was 4k/30hz. 30hz is too low, 60hz is fine. 120hz is not much difference.
    You two seem to be those "240hz or FO" types. I don't care about shooters. That's the genre I almost never play, and when I do, 120 fps is more than enough.
    In RPGs, strategy games, survivals, etc, fps at 60 is more than enough.
    That's exactly what I mean. With the cost of a 3080, you can get a full pc + monitor and have the same fps or better at 1080p

10+ Year Old Account
    Bruh, I like occasionally flexing my 3080Ti too, to show em' plebs muh bigg e-dikk.

But reality is, that this setup is way out of reach at the moment for vast majority of people and even then it's not exactly the optimal experience 4K either, because in any sort of actual current gen title worth of 3080Ti you have to start dropping various settings or sit at 60 FPS if that.

For example CP2077 you pretty much can't max out 4k and even be at 60FPS and there are few other titles like that - you have to start downgrading DLSS quality or RTX or other perks. And amount of games like this will only get higher next year.

That's why it's pointless to even try - because combined 3080/Ti + decent 4k monitor alone cost about what whole system costs that can pump 1440p like no tomorrow, high FPS, eye candy and all. Let alone 1080p.

It's really not viable yet and by viable I mean you don't need to sell your kidney to even pull it off.

Not really, because low end GPUs are also. Nonexistent and massively inflated. Around here, average selling price for a 2060 is 550+. 3060s averaging 700. 3080s, by comparison, are about 1200.

Itd cost you more than the 3080 alone to build that 1080p rig. not a LOT more, but more. Not that im recommending 4k to anyone. 1440p/high refresh is the sweet spot, and you can do that with a 3070 most of the time. Maybe not the full 120 or 14dhz, but 90+, which, with VRR of some kind, is absolutely acceptable.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's exactly what I mean. With the cost of a 3080, you can get a full pc + monitor and have the same fps or better at 1080p
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Bruh, I like occasionally flexing my 3080Ti too, to show em' plebs muh bigg e-dikk.

But reality is, that this setup is way out of reach at the moment for vast majority of people and even then it's not exactly the optimal experience 4K either, because in any sort of actual current gen title worth of 3080Ti you have to start dropping various settings or sit at 60 FPS if that.

For example CP2077 you pretty much can't max out 4k and even be at 60FPS and there are few other titles like that - you have to start downgrading DLSS quality or RTX or other perks. And amount of games like this will only get higher next year.

That's why it's pointless to even try - because combined 3080/Ti + decent 4k monitor alone cost about what whole system costs that can pump 1440p like no tomorrow, high FPS, eye candy and all. Let alone 1080p.

It's really not viable yet and by viable I mean you don't need to sell your kidney to even pull it off.
    The argument was that 4k gaming is dumb.
    I disagree with that statement. Regardless of how many "facts" you're going to pump out. 4k gaming isn't stupid, and it's very much viable.
    Good day.

The argument was that 4k gaming is dumb.
    I disagree with that statement. Regardless of how many "facts" you're going to pump out. 4k gaming isn't stupid, and it's very much viable.
    Good day.
    Given that most people can't afford to just dish out thousands of euros, going 4k for just a few display inches that will cause you to move at a greater distance so you can see the full field, it is a pretty dumb investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Not really, because low end GPUs are also. Nonexistent and massively inflated. Around here, average selling price for a 2060 is 550+. 3060s averaging 700. 3080s, by comparison, are about 1200.

Itd cost you more than the 3080 alone to build that 1080p rig. not a LOT more, but more. Not that im recommending 4k to anyone. 1440p/high refresh is the sweet spot, and you can do that with a 3070 most of the time. Maybe not the full 120 or 14dhz, but 90+, which, with VRR of some kind, is absolutely acceptable.
    Hell around here scalpers still sell 1080s for 6-700$ (CND) and 1080 TIs for a thousand (!!!) still. And those cards are barely 1440p capable (as in 60 FPS in most titles I mean). Everything is just too expensive these days. I was lucky to get my 3070 for 900 CND tax in, and indeed it's great for 1440p. I don't hit 144 fps in most current games but 80-90 is about right, apart from resource hogs like Cyberpunk or Halo Infinite. But the only games I really did want 144 FPS in, like Doom Eternal and Overwatch, I can get.

Still, talk of 4K being viable when most users still have 1060 or similar cards is certainly... a take. We're not even close to 1440p being the most used resolution, and 4K is two generations of cards away from being mainstream, and that's with DLSS continuing to improve. And if card costs keep rising I don't know if higher resolution PC gaming will even be mainstream anytime soon. NVIDIA and AMD have seen just how much people are willing to pay for the damn things so you can forget about ever approaching previous MSRPs until/unless the market crashes or something.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Given that most people can't afford to just dish out thousands of euros, going 4k for just a few display inches that will cause you to move at a greater distance so you can see the full field, it is a pretty dumb investment.
    What? Moving back? What?
    I have a 48" LG C1 in front of my nose. It's not too big and I wouldn't go below 40".
    Stop talking about the cost of 4k gaming. That was never the argument, that was not the quote I replied to and disagreed with. Stop.talking.about.the.fucking.cost.of.4k.gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to:

a. Take a chill pill.
    b. Rethink what "viable" actually means.