Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Ehm, won't that also deprive Crimea from it's fresh water source? I mean the canal that does so taps directly from that reservoir...
    I think russia has bigger problems than supplying Crimea with water.

More on the status of the dam.

A lot of conjecture it was done to flood the region to try and stop Ukraine's offensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehm, won't that also deprive Crimea from it's fresh water source? I mean the canal that does so taps directly from that reservoir...
    The Russians are probably afraid the Ukrainians are about to cross the river as part of the counteroffensive.

The side of it that will be the most severely affected by flooding is the one the Russians are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    russian claims keep getting wilder and wilder - now its up to 1500 killed, 28 tanks destroyed (including 8 Leopards) and more than 100 other armored vehicles destroyed. No proof of anything. Sounds rather like their claims before the last counteroffensive before they got routed. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned shooting down any F16s either. Though there was one claim of an Abrams destroyed as well. There was one shot of a supposed destroyed Leopard, but it was quickly proven to be a fake.
    It makes sense they are saying this, instead what is probably the truth - that the better trained Ukrainians with Nato weapons are slicing through the Russian defenses that they took a year to build like a hot knife through butter - they would probably have mass desertions immediately, which, from what I have read so far is still a real strong possibility and something I think they Ukrainians are hoping on.

Any sign of the 82 air brigade on the battlefield yet? It looks like they are pushing on multiple fronts, probably still probing until they find the weakest link and slam through.

Oh no - that dam is a big deal, they have been warning about this this for a year now.
    Last edited by alach; 2023-06-06 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Over/under on whether it’s more disruptive to Russia to believe that Ukraine possesses counteroffensive capabilities or whether it’s more disruptive for the Russians to think there is a growing active resistance inside Russia itself.
    If there is one thing the Russian culture despises more than ex-Soviet countries, its traitors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If there is one thing the Russian culture despises more than ex-Soviet countries, its traitors.
    Noted but I'm not too interested in what they like or dislike, I'm interested in what actively weakens their resolve. Which is the fine line Russia has to tow whenever they're going to make some bullshit up about who blew up their latest whatever; was it the Ukrainians striking from afar, Russian dissidents striking from within, or their third and by default best option, chocking it up to their own raving incompetence?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Ukrainian authorities are reporting flooding in 8 settlements already, and 16,000 people are in the critical zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Noted but I'm not too interested in what they like or dislike, I'm interested in what actively weakens their resolve. Which is the fine line Russia has to tow whenever they're going to make some bullshit up about who blew up their latest whatever; was it the Ukrainians striking from afar, Russian dissidents striking from within, or their third and by default best option, chocking it up to their own raving incompetence?
    I have no idea tbh. The Ukrainians probably took the credit so they could go neener neener at the Russians.

The Russians might have filled the reservoir to the brim on purpose before blowing up the dam to cause maximum flooding.

Before doom and gloom turns up, yes the dam did provide water to the nuclear power plant for the cooling reservoir, but it is mostly powered down and there is no immediate danger of an incident.

If I was going to go all tinfoil hat on this... The Russians are preparing to withdraw from Crimea and wanted to kill two birds with one stone:
    >Cause a flood that will make it difficult for Ukrainian forces to cross the river and at the same time cause maximum damage to civilian infrastructure down stream
    >Destroy any hope of agriculture in Crimea for the next decade

Or they simply just are so fucking stupid that they didn't realize how dependant Crimea was on that dam.

If I was going to go all tinfoil hat on this... The Russians are preparing to withdraw from Crimea and wanted to kill two birds with one stone:
    >Cause a flood that will make it difficult for Ukrainian forces to cross the river and at the same time cause maximum damage to civilian infrastructure down stream

Or they simply just are so fucking stupid that they didn't realize how dependant Crimea was on that dam.
    I'll do you one better, they know they are going to lose, so they are going to scorch earth everything as they shrink back to their craphole country with their tails between their legs. We have seen them do this before.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    I'll do you one better, they know they are going to lose, so they are going to scorch earth everything as they shrink back to their craphole country with their tails between their legs. We have seen them do this before.
    It is the most likely reason yeah.

There is the possibility that previous damage and the complete lack of any maintenance may have led to the dam's failure. Still more likely it was deliberate though.

I fully expect Crimea to be liberated, but I'm not convinced that Putler the great dick is going to willingly withdraw, without even sacrificing most if not all the trash minions in the area to hold it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    There is the possibility that previous damage and the complete lack of any maintenance may have led to the dam's failure. Still more likely it was deliberate though.
    At the moment it could be that, which would still be full on Russia's fault.

Atm there's no video of the explosion, the one that's been going around was shown to be from no later than November. Which still could be the cause of it as damage over time effect.

So the bots have had their marching orders from Kremlin. The narrative the vatniks are pushing is that the dam burst due to Ukrainians neglecting to upkeep it combined with it being damaged by Ukrainian attack.

The Ukrainians would have had nothing to gain from blowing the dam. It hinders their operations in the region and will allow the Russians to move forces further up north.

This does, at least for the time being benefit the RuZZkis, but as others have said, on the medium to long term this will seriously mess with the sustainability of the Crimean occupation.

But to be honest, I don't think the Muscovites give a damn about the serfs on periphery of their miserable robber baron empire as we have already seen around Belgorod.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the bots have had their marching orders from Kremlin. The narrative the vatniks are pushing is that the dam burst due to Ukrainians neglecting to upkeep it combined with it being damaged by Ukrainian attack.
    How....the fuck...

How....the fuck...
    Well, it is hard to upkeep something that has been mined for a year and under Nazi Russia occupation...

Russian "truths" in russian world

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Well, it is hard to upkeep something that has been mined for a year and under Nazi Russia occupation...

Russian "truths" in russian world
    I was unclear, that was on me XD Seriously though no one in their right mind, not even russians, can believe this...right? (who am I kidding, ruzzians will eat it up.)

I was unclear, that was on me XD Seriously though no one in their right mind, not even russians, can believe this...right? (who am I kidding, ruzzians will eat it up.)
    Desperate times for desperate enemy of the free world. Russian cohorts can simp for Nazi Russia all they desire, once they outlive their usefulness, Putin is not afraid of sacrificing them without a second thought. A pity some of those cohorts do not live anywhere near Russia...Easy to simp for something that has no way of killing you.