Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    He does not need to stuff anything, he ran vs cherrypicked clowns.
    He absolutely fucking stuffed it.

Whatever the number was, it wasn't fucking 88%.

That number is completely made up.

Not to mention that it fits into this weird "trend" where everytime he runs for re-election he wins by a 10% increase over his previous run, clearly intending to suggest that he's just doing better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post

Not to mention that it fits into this weird "trend" where everytime he runs for re-election he wins by a 10% increase over his previous run, clearly intending to suggest that he's just doing better and better.
    Of all the numbers he could have picked, of course he does 88%. Other numbers just don't have the same.....flavor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Of all the numbers he could have picked, of course he does 88%. Other numbers just don't have the same.....flavor.
    Well, if you think about it it's very smart and bigly clever: anything above 90% is too obvious, 89% is just you obviously taking 90% and removing 1% and 87% is too far away from 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    I think most here are aware, but one public misconception I've noticed is that many people see the big $ aid numbers and think the US is cutting Ukraine a check for that amount.
    The same is the case for all other countries donating weapons/ammo - BUT it also means those countries will have to buy news stuff sooner so it is an expense.

- - - Updated - - -

Fake news! That only makes 100% voter turnout. You'll be window accidented for reporting anything short of 125%.
    I think that is included in the people that voted twice already

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    I don't think that we will use a nuke, even if Russia nukes Ukraine.
    I think it's a real possibility actually.

I would've rigged it at 69% if I were him.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a rounding, I keep reading it was 87,3% (I mean I would round down to 87, but sometimes it's convention to round everything up.)

West decries Putin's election win, China, India vow closer ties

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...im-2024-03-18/

In sharp contrast, Chinese President Xi Jinping congratulated Putin, and said Beijing would maintain close communication with Moscow to promote the "no limits" partnership they agreed in 2022, just before Russia invaded Ukraine.
    "I believe that under your leadership, Russia will certainly be able to achieve greater achievements in national development and construction," Xi told Putin in his message, according to Xinhua News.
    Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi echoed that message, saying he looked forward to strengthening New Delhi's "time-tested special and privileged strategic partnership" with Moscow
    So just two of the countries that congratulated Putin and vowed for closer ties, represent almost 3B of world's 8B population (or around 37.5%). This is why sanctions aren't working as they should tbh.

So just two of the countries that congratulated Putin and vowed for closer ties, represent almost 3B of world's 8B population (or around 37.5%). This is why sanctions aren't working as they should tbh.
    Words are cheap. What are they actually doing that materially benefits Russia's crashing economy?

EDIT: Also, people are not economies. Do you have any conception how many people in India and China live in abject poverty? Tens of millions of poor people won't do a damn thing for Russia. You realize that the countries that are against them account for around 70% of the global GDP, right?
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2024-03-18 at 04:56 PM.

Those 3B people need resources like gas and minerals. Its almost like their respective leaders are giving cheep flattery so they can continue to gut Russia's resources for little cost.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Words are cheap. What are they actually doing that materially benefits Russia's crashing economy?

EDIT: Also, people are not economies. Do you have any conception how many people in India and China live in abject poverty? Tens of millions of poor people won't do a damn thing for Russia. You realize that the countries that are against them account for around 70% of the global GDP, right?
    They help Russia circumvent the sanctions. For example they buy their oil and then they sell it to us.

Just for some context.

India 2021 GDP: $3.176T (USD)
    China 2021 GDP: $17.73T (USD)
    Russia 2021 GDP: $1.779T (USD)
    USA 2021 GDP: $23.32T (USD)

Most of what India is still purchasing from Russia is dirt-cheap oil that others won't purchase, making up more than half of the $40B in exports from RUS -> India https://oec.world/en/profile/bilater...us/partner/ind

Everyone paying attention knows that India is happy to get cheap petrol right now and this isn't exactly surprising, it's in their interests.

They help Russia circumvent the sanctions. For example they buy their oil and then they sell it to us.
    Which they've been doing all this time, it's nothing new, but that's much less about helping Russia and much more about taking advantage of Russia's desperation to buy really cheap oil.

Also Ukraine's now targeting their refineries, so who knows how much longer that'll even last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czechia apparently found another 700k shells for Ukraine, there's some chatter that they are buying them from russian allies and that's why they are so secretive.

Shiny shells

Two countries that treat Russia as gas station and one of them practically vassalizing Russia is not the sort of flex you think it is.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Two countries that treat Russia as gas station and one of them practically vassalizing Russia is not the sort of flex you think it is.
    This, and no offence to India, and some offence to China, but treating the whole of these nations populations like western consumer economies is absolutely wrong. Sure, parts of them are, maybe even significant numbers, but many of them live in a world still largely detatched from capitalism. A level of development or poverty where "consumption" doesnt even exist.

Even the parts that are, the reality is Russia doesnt, by and large, produce consumer goods. No Russian autos, no Russian McDonalds, no Russian computers, no Russian jeans. Chinese and Indian ties to Russia are wholly transactional, like good little capitalists, theyre taking advantage of someone who needs money and noone likes.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

We should be celebrating every single Russian loss not only militarily but also economic. Both are not economic movers or shakers but still something none the less, i would be willing to bet that this entire invasion has set Russia back a full generation if not more due now Ukrainian attacks of important infrastructure. I always smile when i celebrate Thatchers passing but on the 8th of april i will also drink to more imperial losses by the Russian state. Now if the powers that be start seizing more assets of the Russian state.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Something about gas station with nukes.

Cool. And? Does that mean we should just all roll over and let Big Stronk Man Putin do whatever he wants?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Czechia apparently found another 700k shells for Ukraine, there's some chatter that they are buying them from russian allies and that's why they are so secretive.

Shiny shells
    "Found" ...as in bought from South Korea.

The only country that can realistically churn out these volumes outside possibly the US is South Korea.

I'm sure India is in the play too, maybe Japan, but most of these shells are probably South Korean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post

Shiny shells
    Hilarious if true; Russian allies wanting Western currency more than wanting to keep Russia happy and selling the ammo they got from Russia to middlemen to give to Ukraine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post

It seems like a key part of Russian national/cultural identity is an utter rejection of self-determination. That Russians need authoritarian despots to tell them how to think. From Tsarist Russia to the Soviet Union and to Putin with only a brief and failed period of experimenting with democracy in the 90s.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Hilarious if true; Russian allies wanting Western currency more than wanting to keep Russia happy and selling the ammo they got from Russia to middlemen to give to Ukraine.
    It's one of those things, during our war for independence we sold weapons to Spain to finance our merc armies to fight them. It was indeed insane XD