Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Nothing, because UN is a toothless organization that can only do as much as pound some 3rd world countries somewhere in Africa and Middle East.
    I can't tell if you're just being sarcastic or not, do the UN truly have no actual power? You can just say no to whatever they say and nothing happens? If no what's the point of the organisation existing?
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    What happens realistically if Russia fails to meet the demands of the UN? Will they lose their seat?
    The UN itself can't do much about it. The security council could do. But since russia is going to veto everything nothing is coming from that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    The UN itself can't do much about it. The security council could do. But since russia is going to veto everything nothing is coming from that either.
    That vote was so stupid, a country should lose the right to a vote if they are the aggressors. Seems like something that should have been thought up from the start.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

For those saying Ukraine should just surrender, why didn't everyone just surrender to the Nazis in the early stages of the war? Would have saved a lot of lives. Sure, you get to live as a second class citizens under a brutal dictatorship but at least the rest of the world won't have to miss out on a few luxuries.

10+ Year Old Account
    With almost every country in the world as a member, except for, out the top of my head, Kosovo, Taiwan, Palestine and the Vatican, it's an extremely large bureaucratic entity.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying Ukraine should surrender. Hell, my opinion is that russia should just get the fuck out of Ukraine.
    Sadly, this will not end well for Ukraine, no matter if they surrender or not. It's impossible for them to win this and they probably know it too, that's why we are seeing less and less of those good news messages of them...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It's almost like people think countries that big can be taken in few days. Only a week passes in about 1 hour. How fast, exactly, should Russia be taking land, in your mind?
    Do you honestly think that Russia will take and hold Ukraine in a stable fashion based on what has happened so far?
    Afghanistan cost the United States $2.3 trillion dollars. Can Russia truly afford such a conflict in the face of ongoing sanctions?

You cheerlead the strength of the Russian military every day, as if this day will be the one to mark the turning point. As if Russia encircling Kyiv will be the end of this conflict or something. But we both know that won't be the case.

So what exactly do you think is the endgame, here? To spend the next decade plus stuck in an expensive military quagmire, while the EU and NATO grows? Frankly, that's probably what the US State Department is hoping for, but I don't think that's what Putin wants.

Or do they just give up all pretenses and brutally pacify the nation on the world stage? Turn Zelensky and his people into martyrs? Maybe the world will just stand by and let it happen, but will Russia gain more than they have lost? I doubt it. The EU and NATO will beef up their defenses, they will fast track the admission of candidate members, they will seek alternate sources of oil. Russia will become politically and economically isolated.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2022-03-03 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    That vote was so stupid, a country should lose the right to a vote if they are the aggressors. Seems like something that should have been thought up from the start.
    That is because the permanent members wanted the system to be unfair so that it cannot interfere with their interests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    For those saying Ukraine should just surrender, why didn't everyone just surrender to the Nazis in the early stages of the war? Would have saved a lot of lives. Sure, you get to live as a second class citizens under a brutal dictatorship but at least the rest of the world won't have to miss out on a few luxuries.
    It's really weird hearing this from Europeans, that otherwise like to dunk on "Stoopid Yanks".

Uhhh remember that time your French, Dutch, Danish Resistances got squashed by the Blitzkrieg? But thankfully your braver countrymen hung on. With the help of others, they were able to return to power a few years later.

TWOT seriously broke so many brains. Then having a black president broke more.

10+ Year Old Account
    NATO intervening: not going to happen, maybe only if russia throws a nuke or goes full "genocidal"

russia retreating because of sanctions: not going to happen. putin will keep MoEx closed until this is over or he finds a way to soften the pain

Ceasefire: best outcome for Ukraine but that would probably mean they are losing Donbas, Crimea and the area in between or maybe even worse, the entire Black Sea coast.

russia toppling the Ukrainian government: worst outcome for everyone, that will mean a lot of casualties and even if putin puts a puppet in place, that would probably start a civil war for years from now on.

How come all around the border of Russia there are Missile Defense systems pointing into Russia and controlled by NATO/US?

Also...

How come all around the border of USA there are NO Missile Defense systems pointing into USA and controlled by Russia?

And...

NATO promised Putin over 10yrs ago that NATO would cease encroaching upon the Russian border and stop turning neighbouring provinces into NATO allies for NATO/US Controlled Missile bases to be built upon and point towards Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    How come all around the border of Russia there are Missile Defense systems pointing into Russia and controlled by NATO/US?
    Um mostly because Russia is run by an autocrat with nukes who nobody trusts. See ongoing Ukraine conflict, if youre unsure of the validity of the distrust.

- - - Updated - - -

NATO promised Putin over 10yrs ago that NATO would cease encroaching upon the Russian border and stop turning neighbouring provinces into NATO allies for NATO/US Controlled Missile bases to be built upon and point towards Russia?
    Thats a statement and not a question. Question mark not required.

10+ Year Old Account

Also...

How come all around the border of USA there are NO Missile Defense systems pointing into USA and controlled by Russia?

And...

Gee, I wonder why, hmm, because they JUST INVADED ANOTHER COUNTRY???

Speaking of promises, what about russia promising not to invade Ukraine if they gave up their nukes?

But good to see you're back Shalcker.

Again with the RT lie that Ukraine was going to join NATO within the foreseeable future.

7+ Year Old Account

Also...

And...

It's because we deserve to have missile systems near their soil and they don't deserve missile systems near our soil. It couldn't be more fair.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It's because we deserve to have missile systems near their soil and they don't deserve missile systems near our soil. It couldn't be more fair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Missile defense systems are for defense, not offense. Also, they're not pointed at Russia, because they don't point anywhere. Also, NATO isn't controlled by the US. Also, why is Russia worried about missile defense systems unless Russia is planning to fire missiles at another country?

Probably because the US doesn't share a border with a country that fears the US sending missiles at them? Also, Russia is not allied with anyone who shares a border with the US.

NATO promised not to move further east when the only thing further east was USSR. Then, later, Russia and NATO signed the Founding Act in 1997. The last time a country which shares a border with Russia was added to NATO was 2004.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Missile defense systems are for defense, not offense.
    If my neighbour decided to put Missiles on our fence (missiles that my neighbour alone controls) I can rest easy when my neighbour tells me the missiles are solely for defense and not offence in conjunction with me not being able to do anything about it because if I try to it will appear as though I am about to launch my own Missiles because why else would I be trying to do something about defensive Missiles on my fence Controlled by my neighbour if not to launch my own Missiles because my neighbours are purely "defense" Missiles cause my neighbour told me that........?
    Last edited by Kharnath; 2022-03-03 at 04:01 AM.

If my neighbour decided to put Missiles on our fence I can rest easy when they tell me they are solely for defense and not offence in conjunction with me not being able to do anything about it because if I try to it will appear as though I am about to launch my own Missiles because why else would I be trying to do something about it if not launch my own Missiles because his are purely "defense" Missiles cause he told me that........?
    Are you trying to argue that you cant defend your property? Thats a pretty dumb argument. And you can do something about it.. you can defend your property lol... common sense stuff here.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2022-03-03 at 04:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If my neighbour decided to put Missiles on our fence (missiles that my neighbour alone controls) I can rest easy when my neighbour tells me the missiles are solely for defense and not offence in conjunction with me not being able to do anything about it because if I try to it will appear as though I am about to launch my own Missiles because why else would I be trying to do something about defensive Missiles on my fence Controlled by my neighbour if not to launch my own Missiles because my neighbours are purely "defense" Missiles cause my neighbour told me that........?
    Ignoring the fact this is word salad...

You forgot to mention that, in this analogy, you (i.e. Russia) have been constantly breaking into your neighbors' houses, vandalizing and/or stealing their property, and killing their kids.

They have every right and reason to want protection from you.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2022-03-03 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Second round of talks to happen probably starting tomorrow on Polish-Belarus border.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you care to point out these missiles on your fence?

Also, would you please prove that you have no missiles "pointed" at NATO countries?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils