Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Dude, wtf? Border, borderlands. Where the hell did you finda a word "russian" in there? Words have fricking multiple meanings and Slavic languages are quite vast.
    Maybe if you've read the entire conversation instead of chipping in in the middle you wouldn't ask dumb questions and make yourself look like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    No, it's just people have no bloody clue. Ukraine is practically "okraina", which means borderlands. You can guess borderlands of what country actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Nobody said that it means "Russian border". And I sourced the same Ukrainian wikipedia that you did, just with the link specific to the history of the name.

Just move on.
    Yeah, "nobody".

Lukashenko said that sanctions will lead to a world war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    Lukashenko is still mad he got rightfully run out, and can, truly, go eat shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Sane reasoning and logic. Hence people calling him crazy...
    Nah. You're making the mistake of applying an entirely different set of rules and parameters to the situation than necessarily exist in Russia. That's not to say that Putin is definitely going to consider himself a winner in this war, but it certainly leaves room for him to still have goals that he can achieve that he deems worth the collective response.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Sane reasoning and logic. Hence people calling him crazy...
    I would not be so sure, he does not do this for shits and giggles.

I, personally, think he did it 10 years too early. But maybe he looked at energy situation + covid + the first act of US vs China saga and decided that now is the best time to make a move.

I also think that weak Crimea response from the West emboldened him too. He also likely correctly estimated that EU will not quite be able to fully cut Russia out, notice the tiptoeing around energy sector and any talk of actual foreign military action is off the table.

I do think the response is stronger than he bargained for, but it's not quite "there" yet imo as far as sacrifices that can be done. And who knows how it will end up - there will be negotiations once the dust settles and who knows who will end up with what.

I'd question whatever Lukashenko said. Even if he said he has to go to the loo. Dude's dumb as a brick and has about as much authority to decide his actions as a toddler. If he actually told me he has to go to the loo, I'd ask Putin if that was true.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Ukrainian delegation apparently took a long route via Poland and then heli, that's why we have not heard anything until now.
    So I would say you can expect talks tomorrow.

He has said of lot of things, none of which he has control of.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Maybe if you've read the entire conversation instead of chipping in in the middle you wouldn't ask dumb questions and make yourself look like a fool.

Yeah, "nobody".
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. You're making the mistake of applying an entirely different set of rules and parameters to the situation than necessarily exist in Russia. That's not to say that Putin is definitely going to consider himself a winner in this war, but it certainly leaves room for him to still have goals that he can achieve that he deems worth the collective response.
    Ditto, one needs to know and understand the actual goals and aims of this.

One thing to keep in mind is that Russia calculated that this will be worth it and I absolutely don't think they had any illusions there won't be pain from this. Now what the goals are and whether it will be actually worth it in the end - I don't know.

But don't you think for a moment that it was some REEE outburst there - it was deliberate plan long time in making.

Maybe it was covid, but Putin is crazy. Takes only two brain cells to realize guy is mad. Wanted to be global player, now he's global outcast. Him and his ilk being shat on by the global stage even more then Trump and anyone stupid enough to have ever supported that dumbass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Oh, I read it all. Again, nobody said that the word actually meant "Russian border". What he was saying is that it's odd that they chose that to be the formal name of the country because at the time that their constitution was written, a name meaning "borderlands" would imply an inherent connection to Russia that was not actually meant by the name's origin. To avoid confusion later, they could have renamed it something that more clearly broke ties with Moscow.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    "That's why it's a good time to build a chicken coop and grow potatoes to eat with selyodka"

Those from around will understand.

Also dam... I want some kartoshka with selyodka now. That's what I deal with for being half-Russian, the urges are real.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2022-02-27 at 09:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nah Russia is too scared to start a world war. If the doomsday prophets truly believe in their fear-mongering then why do they always refuse to stake RL money on their predictions.

Crazy folks follow very strict sets of rules and parameters sometimes, doesn't make them sane. Just means their reality is misaligned with what society calls "normal". Under no "normal" circumstances can he win anything out of this. He's losing support at home before the war even got going for real, he's not having the swift victory he wanted originally and when he does ultimately defeat Ukraine, he'll have to occupy a country that hates him... if he's not gone completely senile, he will see the writing on the wall and realise that he'll get the Afghan treatment. And after that, Ukrainians will REALLY be alienated. And while that's happening, he's got sanctions blown up his ass so deep, he can't unfuck himself without going into major surgery...

Nah man, this was a big ass miscalculation of a madman. This was a Hitleresque move of idiocy. This was him thinking the world will realign itself to fit his world view. And now he's pissed that somehow nobody on this planet agrees with him.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think the response is stronger than he bargained for, but it's not quite "there" yet imo as far as sacrifices that can be done. And who knows how it will end up - there will be negotiations once the dust settles and who knows who will end up with what.
    This is also likely why he gambled so hard on taking out the Kyiv airports early on. If he could have presented a fait accompli in the first 48 hours and attempted to play out his "look, we're just helping free them and establish a real democracy!" farce more quickly, he might have avoided some of these sanctions. Even if he gave up some, he might have considered that more of a win for being able to keep Ukraine out of NATO and firming his hold on Crimea and Donbas.

Even now, he could still see an appeasement way out of this that would get him some of the goals that he wanted, though it's beginning to look far less likely. I'm not sure how easily he could change his plans now, since they have a certain amount of momentum.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I would not be so sure, he does not do this for shits and giggles.

I, personally, think he did it 10 years too early. But maybe he looked at energy situation + covid + the first act of US vs China saga and decided that now is the best time to make a move.

I also think that weak Crimea response from the West emboldened him too. He also likely correctly estimated that EU will not quite be able to fully cut Russia out, notice the tiptoeing around energy sector and any talk of actual foreign military action is off the table.

10 years early? For what? A miracle? Russia was winning while they installed their puppet in US Government, but this here? This is ruining everything he has accomplished with that. The normalisation of saying "Putin (the dictator) is a nice chap and we should all be like him" that Trump bombarded the US media with? It's gone. Trump's now correctly veered off into the whole Mexican invasion of the US border to distract from the fact that he gets buttfucked by Putin whenever Vlad's legal house slave isn't around... I'm paraphrasing Putin, btw. I don't think wives are slaves of any sort.

Oh, I read it all. Again, nobody said that the word actually meant "Russian border". What he was saying is that it's odd that they chose that to be the formal name of the country because at the time that their constitution was written, a name meaning "borderlands" would imply an inherent connection to Russia that was not actually meant by the name's origin. To avoid confusion later, they could have renamed it something that more clearly broke ties with Moscow.
    The name dates back to at least the 17th century, and arguably the 12th, and you think they should have just changed it?

Yeah I literally linked a qoute of who and when said it and you chose to dismiss it with "nobody" again. I'm done with you. Believe whatever you want, don't care anymore. Truth is there for everyone to see.

This was him thinking the world will realign itself to fit his world view. And now he's pissed that somehow nobody on this planet agrees with him.
    Tbh, I'm still in awe that he has managed to break down decades old cultural taboo and pacifism by uno reverse carding 75 years of German war guilt, all within three short days.

Quote Originally Posted by crejack View Post
    Maybe it was covid, but Putin is crazy. Takes only two brain cells to realize guy is mad. Wanted to be global player, now he's global outcast. Him and his ilk being shat on by the global stage even more then Trump and anyone stupid enough to have ever supported that dumbass.
    Here's the difference. Everyone knew Trump was at most a temporary problem for a max of 8 years. And he didn't actually cause any damage. Oh, he pissed off a lot of people and cost people some money, but it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Putin? For him to go, he has to die first. I hope he dies every day, but that fucker is just about as stubborn as a cockroach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crejack View Post
    Again... no. Putin wants a more direct power than the diplomatic variety. His plan is evil, and it may not end up working the way he wants due to miscalculation. But it's a mistake to just declare him mad.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils