Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It seems like the Russians there were not taught about Chornobyl, kicked up all the radiation and essentially got radiation sickness.
    ...found out the worst way.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    So, eh, The Russians are withdrawing from Chernobyl (Chornobyl?)?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/15092...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...m-chernobyl-us
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...fc2d0b6774b18c

Short articles, but apparently something is going on.
    This might be why, if true.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrKovalen...78005469847574

Head of Britain's GCHQ spy service says some Russian soldiers are refusing to carry out orders

On Wednesday, Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) chief Jeremy Fleming said that there’s new intelligence that shows some Russian soldiers in Ukraine have sabotaged their own equipment and accidentally shot down one of their own aircrafts, Reuters is reporting.

“We’ve seen Russian soldiers short of weapons and morale - refusing to carry out orders, sabotaging their own equipment and even accidentally shooting down their own aircraft,” Fleming said in a speech in Canberra at the Australian National University.

“Putin has massively misjudged the situation,” Fleming said. “We believe Putin*s advisers are afraid to tell him the truth.” Reuters was unable to independently confirm GCHQ’s analysis.

Linked The Guardian since I'm at my article limit for Reuters, yikes. But uh, "accidentally shot down one of their own aircraft" sounds like wishful thinking even to me - then again, it would certainly match the sheer incompetence displayed by Russia so far...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Linked The Guardian since I'm at my article limit for Reuters, yikes.
    Incognito is your friend.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Linked The Guardian since I'm at my article limit for Reuters, yikes. But uh, "accidentally shot down one of their own aircraft" sounds like wishful thinking even to me - then again, it would certainly match the sheer incompetence displayed by Russia so far...
    It's a free account. You just have to sign up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Next on how the Russians fucked up - Red Forest edition. Was reading an account of it by a nuclear physicist (or someone who claimed to be one). The ambient radiation levels there are 40-50 microSv/h. However, if you move the ground around you lift radionuclieds into the air. And if you dig in you uncover soil with a much concentration of radionuclieds. And if you breath it in, you end up with internal contamination. While mostly harmless on the outside, it is big trouble if it gets into your lungs.

Oh, and they were also chopping down trees to use as firewood, putting even more contamination into the air for them to breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Britain...spy...Fleming
    /eyebrow

accidentally shot down one of their own aircrafts
    Y'all making it harder and harder to stand by "didn't shell their own country".

Honestly this story fits what we've seen and is, of course, good news. Poorly informed, poorly equipped, and hearing nothing for a month but "your comrades are losing" mixed with "fuck you fucking orcs" on the radio, morale must not be just low but Barry White low. Sabotage could be an act to stop Ukraine from getting the tanks they walk away from, or could be vicious spite against the murdering dictator who sent them to die for no reason. Pick one. Don't care.

Inflation in Russia hits 15.6%, up more than 1% since last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    'Twas God himself gloriously showing up! On our side! Onward fodder!
    This comment made me chuckle.

digging trenches in Chernobyl, how fucking dumb can you be

Well, that would count as an act of war I would hope and give people the justification to intervene.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

I guess this is a different strategy to try to win friends and allies in a hostile world.

God news - we may not have to worry about Russian trolls soon. Telecom gear in Russia has already risen in cost by 40% and Russia's RSPP Commission for Communications and IT, the country's largest entrepreneurship union, has warned of imminent large-scale Internet service outages due to the lack of available telecom equipment. And add to that 50-70K IT experts having already left the country and another 100K expected to leave and you have problems. Well, we don't but Russia does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Well, that would count as an act of war I would hope and give people the justification to intervene.
    It is just Google saying it. Nothing from any official sources yet. And this kind of stuff has probably been going on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    It is just Google saying it. Nothing from any official sources yet. And this kind of stuff has probably been going on for years.
    I meant if confirmed. And I know that Russia has been doing this stuff for years, he has Trump as president partially because of it.

I was meaning that they could actually admit it outright and defend themselves for a change.

But honestly doubt they will even after this, the Democrats don’t want to risk a fight while the Republicans know Russia has been funding and hacking to help them for a while now and likely outright owns a few of them.

Have a feeling if they had a report that confirmed it, it would likely be classified like the parts of the 9/11 report that identified the Saudis connection to it all.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably true.

If Russia has decided that hacking attacks are okay, they should expect the same in return. Hands up, those of you who think Russia can with stand an "all hands on keyboards" attack from NATO all at once?

10+ Year Old Account
    And add to that 50-70K IT experts having already left the country and another 100K expected to leave and you have problems. Well, we don't but Russia does.
    Reminds me of this article from earlier today:

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Probably true.

If Russia has decided that hacking attacks are okay, they should expect the same in return. Hands up, those of you who think Russia can with stand an "all hands on keyboards" attack from NATO all at once?
    Russia would take that as an act of war and would retaliate with Nukes according to their spokespeople here.

Much like conservatives in general, if they do it, its righteous, if they receive it's an act of aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Probably true.

Anonymous (or people claiming to be them) have been giving them a working over by all accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anonymous (or people claiming to be them) have been giving them a working over by all accounts.
    The Russian government is going to be loathe to admit that a loose collective of hackers is making its life miserable though.

If Russia does acknowledge Anonymous' hackings, they will likely claim it's a front for US/NATO cyberattacks against Russia.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers