5+ Year Old Account

Recording Movies and TV Shows: VLC or OBS?

Recording Your Movies and TV Shows: VLC or OBS?

I like to record short clips of my movies and tv shows I have on my hard drive hdd of my PC.

I know both VLC Media Player and OBS Studio both can let you do this.

I am just wondering/asking which is better: VLC or OBS?
    Which is better to record your movies and TV Shows MKVs with: VLC Media Player or OBS Studio?

VLC Media Player records your movies/tv shows MKVs in whatever the original file is in (records in the same resolution and same fps).

Whereas OBS Studio, you can set whatever resolution you want.
    I have my OBS set to record in 1920x1080 resolution 60fps.

Is one better than the other?
    Which should you be using to record your movies and tv show mkvs?

---
    Now something totally different:

If I record a short clip of one of my 624x352 resolution TV Show episodes.mkv with VLC Media Player, and then I go to put the short clip into my video editor, what resolution should I export the short clip at?

I like exporting my short clips in 1920x1080 (1080p) 60fps.

But if I do that, I know it won't be 1920x1080 (1080p) because the mkv is in another resolution (624x352). It won't be 1080p lol.

I think I should just export the short clip at the same resolution my mkv episode is in (export at 624x352).
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-12-01 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to record in 1080p if the source is lower quality
    There's no reason to record in 60fps if the source is lower

What you'd get out of recording a 624x352 (30hz?) source in 1080p 60hz is a lot of wasted hard drive space

10+ Year Old Account
    Fraps, forever and ever.
    Hi

Well if you have the source files already and want short clips from them one of the best solution is to use FFmpeg.

Seek into specific timestamp with -ss command and input your clip's duration with -t command. Add "-acodec copy -vcodec copy" to get exact copy without any further encoding.

for example:

ffmpeg -ss 00:15:00.0 -i input.mkv -t 00:02:30.0 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.mkv

this command will seek into timestamp "00:15:00.0" of your source file and copy 2min 30sec clip from that point. The copy will not affect the source quality at all since it's a plain copy.
    Last edited by mmocfd1b0ab5a3; 2021-12-01 at 10:05 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    Well if you have the source files already and want short clips from them one of the best solution is to use FFmpeg.
    I'm too stupid for that (too nerdy for me). But thanks!
    Think I'll just stick with VLC Media Player's own built-in recording feature.

Recording my Simpsons episodes!
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-12-17 at 07:26 PM.

I used VLC but it was a pain with getting the timings well.

Since then i've used Window's "PHOTOS" (yep, that's right). Absolutely simple, fast, keeps the format and allows for multiple clips at once. Since learning about it, never went back to VLC.

Works like this. Open with -> "Photos", top right corner "Edit & Create" -> TRIM. Move sliders, BAM! Give it a try.

(Actual guide if you need it -> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-t...tos-windows-10 )
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2021-12-01 at 09:39 PM.

You don't need record tool, you need a cut tool, wtf.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

For your use case, I dont think you need a recorder tool lol

You need something like lossless-cut or any video editing tool

I dont think anyone is too stupid to use losslesscut, its literally "the swissarmy knife of lossless video editing", lossless means you keep the original quality of the video and it doesnt have to "re encode" the video, just cut parts of the video and its done in ~10 seconds depending on how fast is your storage, it basically just duplicates the video with your cuts/edits on it, no changing of quality and reencoding and shit. And its open source.

The only instance that I would use vlc video recorder is if i wanna record something streaming from a network source, and IDM or XDM grabber does not work.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2021-12-16 at 08:20 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    You need something like lossless-cut or any video editing tool...
    Are there any good free programs for this?

I also just drop the whole movie mkv into my video editor Timeline. But it like takes forever for it to load (for my 2-hour movie lol) or do whatever it is doing and sometimes just even crashes the program lol.

And is it a good idea to do this, to just drop my 4gb movie mkv into my video editor and just cut the whole movie out except for the part that I want, and then export it?

I google "lossless cut tool program" and found this program in the google search results:

LosslessCut
    The Swiss Army Knife of Lossless Video/Audio Editing

Softonic website (don't know them lol): https://losslesscut.en.softonic.com/
    Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Losslesscut
    Official Website I am guessing: https://www.mifi.no/losslesscut/
    GitHub: https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut *Use them! Softonic may be shady, have malware!*

is this a good free one? And when I mean good, I mean not a scam, has no malware, virus in it when I download and install it?
    is this program safe?

*I am very cautious about what I download and install to my computer as you should be.*
    it also needs FFmpeg which someone above noted about. Which I know nothing about.

Watched a Youtube video on this, seems cool lol.

Went to the github link, have no idea how to even download and install it, looks very confusing.
    (still don't know what github is, never have used github.)

WTF is GitHub?
    I am guessing it is some website where people (more specifically coders, coder geeks) can share and download software (legal of course I'm guessing but probably illegal sh*t too like that PirateBay website). And collaborate with each other, share each other's software that they make.
    I googled it though. The More You Know.

I am still such a noob.

Extra Note: I don't think that Softonic site is safe. I think GitHub is the way to go to download and install this. But I'm just too much of a noob to figure out how.
    Last edited by monkfailz; 2021-12-17 at 07:54 PM.

According to my user experience, the VLC media player is the best. You can try this one.