Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    That doesn't mean we should be going door to door singing of all things.
    Why not? If they are standing outside there's little to any risk of infection. Right now there are people going to concerts and football games in the tens of thousands packed like sardines, but a couple people singing at your door is a no-no.

I saw people do this only once in my lifetime when I was very young. It was in a suburb in Indiana at a relative's house. They knocked on the door and sang for a minute or two and left.

I have never seen it done again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I have seen them a few times. Generally they do only go to only homes that are hosting parties and such. This is confirmed by a lot of the Caroling clubs in my area so one doesn't have to worry about a random group of people singing outside your doorway.

It was fairly common here in the UK about 15-20 years ago, very common in the 90s. Honestly I can't remember the last time I saw any, maybe at the house I lived in 10 years ago it happened a handful of times but not had it recently. That said though, someone did drive down my street and to my house with blasting Christmas music and a Santa dressed up on the back of a truck earlier this evening, and apparently these guys are driving around the entire town doing this.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    "...a virus we bring, to you and your kin; we wish you a case of COVID and a hospital stay"
    If carolers came to my door at the moment, I would give them an earful, and probably the hose. There's a pandemic you morons.
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Why not?
    .............do I really have to explain to you how a group of people coming up to your door unsolicited is different that a crowd at a game?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carollers are not a tradition in Québec. The only time people will go door to door singing is for "La Guignolée", and they would only sing one song:

La Guignolée was and is still done to gather money and previously food for the poors during the Holidays. But we don't hear the song as much. Traditionally, it was done on December 31st.

Greetings to the Master and the Mistress
    And everyone in the house!
    For the last day of the year
    La Guignolée you owe us!

If you cannot give it, tell us!
    We will only take the eldest daughter
    We will give her a good meal
    We will warm her feet!

We only ask for a pork loin,
    Of about 20 to 30 foot long if you want.
    La Guignolée, la Guignoloche
    Put lard in my sack!
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Honestly, a crowd of random strangers showing up at your door and singing for a good while while you wordlessly stare at them sounds like the biggest recipe of social awkwardness ever. Shame on any carolers who put people through that. I'd rather be stuck in that situation where you awkwardly waiting and holding the door open for someone who isn't exactly close behind you but, at the same time, they aren't far away enough to ignore.

In all the decades I've been alive, not once have I witnessed carollers outside Church during Christmas Eve.

As far as I can tell it's never been a thing in Finland.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I've never seen it. I've always assumed carollers were an old-worldy English thing like whatever the hell figgy pudding is.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was young, we would get a group of friends together and carol door to door. Would get some tips from the more generous folks. It was a blast, and I never had someone be rude about it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Answer is Yes, used to do it all the time in my neighborhood, NOW though obviously not because of Pandemic but it still sort of a thing just like the nativity scene for Jesus, it's a play at my Church and we typically have gone to that every Christmas Sunday too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    When I was young, we would get a group of friends together and carol door to door. Would get some tips from the more generous folks. It was a blast, and I never had someone be rude about it.
    Yeah some people are just dicks, I know we did it too in our church group, for us it was only going to doors and neighborhoods we knew, never got any tips per say, but we got treats and and what not like cookies.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis