Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I saw it more as Jobs, Gates, Musk amalgamation tuned to extremes to make "humor".
    Same tone torughout the movie with other characters, just kinda felt flat on me.

That early product conference atleast, had some clear jabs at Jobs/apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    I saw it more as Jobs, Gates, Musk amalgamation tuned to extremes to make "humor".
    Same tone torughout the movie with other characters, just kinda felt flat on me.

That early product conference atleast, had some clear jabs at Jobs/apple.
    Oh yeah, definitely. Either way, making fun of billionaires is clearly a liberal thing to do - I didn't see much making fun of liberal viewpoints here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I think it was a mixture of Jobs and Musk. You even see the red Tesla in Space at the end. Also I don't really see how the rhetoric of the left was ridiculed?
    That makes sense too. I guess I just saw him as a Gates parody because of the voice and desire to save the world through money.

The biggest example I remember of poking at the left was when decaprio’s character said that scientists were being jailed/silenced for speaking up against the mainstream media’s response.
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-12-28 at 06:27 AM.

The movie is literally an allegory for climate change.

It wasn't bad. Not one of Adam McKays best, but it was entertaining and mostly on point.

I thought it was good, I laughed. I thought it was a take on covid but climate change makes a lot more sense and even if the movie wasn't made with a specific intention it's easy to draw that parallel. I also thought it was just a fun take on a human tendency I think is highly prevalent and that is to deny reality you don't accept. Even with DiCaprio's character, an expert in the field and one who had seen the data with his own eyes, was able to be swayed into denying it somewhat. Also the best scene in the movie near the beginning with Paul Guilfoyle's character while they are waiting for the President to meet them. I think it was probably an incredibly fun movie to film and if I were an actor something I would've wanted to be a part of.
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's interesting that you, too, seem to think that the movie was about climate change. Why are people thinking that's the message?
    Well, because there currently is only one globally threatening disaster that everyone can see coming but is blissfully ignored.

Your interpretation is valid, but has no other applicable scenario of similar scope right now.

felt like a critique of capitalism in general to me. quick profit above all else, even destruction of the planet and everyone on it. I'm genuinely surprised that there are conservatives thinking its making fun of liberals O_O.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    felt like a critique of capitalism in general to me. quick profit above all else, even destruction of the planet and everyone on it. I'm genuinely surprised that there are conservatives thinking its making fun of liberals O_O.
    There were definitely some digs towards liberals and mainstream culture, but ya, it seemed clearly more aimed at conservatives overall.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-12-28 at 09:06 AM.

It's interesting that you, too, seem to think that the movie was about climate change. Why are people thinking that's the message?
    Well mostly because Adam McKay said it ( translated):

Q .: In the last two years we have listened to scientists probably more than ever. Can that help us understand the severity of climate change, which is really the subject of your film?

A .: It is the key to everything. Once you hear the scientific explanation for climate change, it is not that complicated. In fact, it is quite simple. We have added more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere, which is incredibly delicate, so it traps more heat, and that heat has reached a point where it is life-threatening. It's just that really. The problem is that there are many people who have been told to lie and who do not want to hear that information. There are people who are simply busy, stressed, with the tension of paying day-to-day expenses. There are people who are simply distracted and there are people who have been misled into thinking that it is just one of many problems out there. But it is not that I say it: it is a fact that it is the greatest threat in the history of human life. Yes, science is the key, but the real key is communicating that science. That is what we have to find out.

https://www.rtve.es/noticias/2021121.../2237474.shtml

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to avoid this. David Brears take are usually spot on for me.

Hey look, Dr. Strangelove is on HBOMAX. Going to introduce my kids to the genius of Peter Sellers. This movie is great an infinitely rewatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by PfeffermintShake View Post
    Going to avoid this. David Brears take are usually spot on for me.

Hey look, Dr. Strangelove is on HBOMAX. Going to introduce my kids to the genius of Peter Sellers. This movie is great an infinitely rewatchable.
    For me I couldn't figure out whether it was intended to be a comedy or drama, it seemed to fail at both. Only laugh out loud moment was the ending scene "I believe that's called a...", otherwise it was just kind of depressing.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-12-29 at 04:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I figured it was pointing out our societies' inability to work together when we need it the most. Whether that be climate change, a pandemic, or an comet that will wipe us all out. The comet was used, but I feel it represents any global disaster we may face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    I don't see Gates in Bash, he wouldn't be the one to demand they harvest minerals from the rock. I think that's intended to be more Musk or Bezos who have a much more coldhearted vibe at this point than Gates does.
    I figure it was a combination of all the tech company overlords. Gates, Jobs, Musk, Besos, any and all of them combined into one person.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I thought it could have used more subtle story telling than trying to bonk you on the head with how direct the message was. His work with the big short was a far better film. This is more akin to his film dick which also had a rather pointless obvious message

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I thought it could have used more subtle story telling than trying to bonk you on the head with how direct the message was. His work with the big short was a far better film. This is more akin to his film dick which also had a rather pointless obvious message
    If I can judge the reaction of the new Matrix movie as to whether the people can handle subtlety, I think being very blunt is the better way to go. There is a similar theme to the two movies. I'm seeing more people understand the point of Don't Look Up, and completely missing the point of the new Matrix.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If I can judge the reaction of the new Matrix movie as to whether the people can handle subtlety, I think being very blunt is the better way to go. There is a similar theme to the two movies. I'm seeing more people understand the point of Don't Look Up, and completely missing the point of the new Matrix.
    Well the message still has to have a point and be concise. What IS ressurections trying to say? No one asked for it and its a miss match of themes

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Well the message still has to have a point and be concise. What IS ressurections trying to say? No one asked for it and its a miss match of themes
    I think it's trying to say, "You're stupid for wanting to watch this movie, so fuck you".

Saw this over christmas and I thought it was hilarious.

Then again I'm from Canada not the US, so maybe the digs hit a bit too close to home for people.

Its definitely the tragedy sort of comedy. While climate change is definitely a big parallel I think its largely just tackling polictics, media, social media, and science denialism.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-12-29 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    I thought it was an extremely centrist movie that was pointing out the ridiculousness of both side’s rhetoric. The Bash CEO was clearly a parody of Gates, Meryl a parody of trump
    I though Bash CEO was Jobs parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Oh yeah, definitely. Either way, making fun of billionaires is clearly a liberal thing to do - I didn't see much making fun of liberal viewpoints here.
    Conversatives do it too, provided they're a tech billionaire.

Pretty mediocre movie, not terrible, but not great either. Some high profile actors with pretty average performances.