Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you pay for Warcraft 4

For quite some time I've felt the biggest flaw with wows storytelling is how much goes on simultaneously without direct explanation by the authors. While it doesn't necessarily hinder your capability to comprehend the progression of the story, it definitely doesn't come off as transparent as the reign of chaos campaign set the buildup for faction conflict in wow, or how tft showed Illidan and arthas' intertwining story arcs.

So as the title says, even if you have no real itch to do more than one playthrough the rts campaign, would you be for a warcraft 4, or is the somewhat detached narrative that we experience in wow clear enough for the playerbase that we can hope to / expect to care about future characters as much as we do the ones who were introduced in wc3.

Once upon a time it would have been a preorder ultimate edition as soon as it went up, but now? I don't know, curiosity would probably make me pull the trigger, but I wouldn't have too much hope for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    For quite some time I've felt the biggest flaw with wows storytelling is how much goes on simultaneously without direct explanation by the authors. While it doesn't necessarily hinder your capability to comprehend the progression of the story, it definitely doesn't come off as transparent as the reign of chaos campaign set the buildup for faction conflict in wow, or how tft showed Illidan and arthas' intertwining story arcs.

So as the title says, even if you have no real itch to do more than one playthrough the rts campaign, would you be for a warcraft 4, or is the somewhat detached narrative that we experience in wow clear enough for the playerbase that we can hope to / expect to care about future characters as much as we do the ones who were introduced in wc3.
    Outside of diehard fanbois and diehard haters, this is nearly impossible to answer. Is it $5 or $150 dollars being the main question. I dont bandwagon, so im not one of these people "boycotting" Blizzard - if they produce a product that interests me and i think looks worth the money, ill buy it. If it looks like reforged, i wouldnt pay $5 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post

Depends where it takes us. If after 3.5, then no, if it brings us onto new adventures beyond but still on Azeroth, maybe but with the situation currently, not likely, running minimal investment in WoW is enough for now but also down to finances.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Outside of diehard fanbois and diehard haters, this is nearly impossible to answer. Is it $5 or $150 dollars being the main question. I dont bandwagon, so im not one of these people "boycotting" Blizzard - if they produce a product that interests me and i think looks worth the money, ill buy it. If it looks like reforged, i wouldnt pay $5 for it.
    True,people who boycott games are just silly,unless its done by such huge numbers that it would actualy hurt them,its completly pointless,in fact it serves the oposite effect if the game is good...you are harming yourself by not playing a game you could have enjoyed

I got into Blizzard games for the RTSs, so yes, I would pay for Warcraft 4. I definitely wouldn't pirate it or expect it to be free.

After what they did with the Reforged... I have zero faith. I honestly can't answer. I know I want to play it, I have been wanting to play it for almost two decades now, but would I wan't to buy it if it ever came out...? Dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

These days? I may watch "Warcraft 4 - The Movie" version on youtube while on the loo.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once, maybe say, back in 2010, when I started crying from the rooftops for a Warcraft RTS sequel, and back when I actually had respect and trust for the company, then sure I would be all over them producing one. But this is Blizzard of 2022, I do not expect any quality from Blizzard these days. Sadly

although who knows, by the time they do release a new RTS, maybe the company will be in a better place and their games could magically be great again, but until then I will not touch a Blizzard game or give them my money.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    After the whole mess they done? Definetly no.

Depends on the actual product, but if its anything remotely close to Warcraft 3\tft, it would be an instant purchase.

Kinda doubt we'll ever see it though.

I'd spend money on it. But I'm not confident it would live up to the hype it would generate.

Ideally: Heroes of the Storm level of art, with World of Warcraft's stellar soundtracks and voice acting and cinematics, set in a story that hasnt happened yet, potentially tying in to a WoW expansion....

But the way the lore has been going, I'm not confident the writers could make any new villains as respectable as Arthas. Sylvanas' writing is literally painful and I dread seeing it repeat again. I dont think I can handle a WoD 3.0.

It would depend on a lot of things really.

Were it what it could have been, yes of course

But present-day Blizzard is run by marketing and "leadership" people, not by anyone who actually knows how to make a game, let alone anyone worthy to carry the torch of Warcraft 4

I don't have faith that a WC4 or even any other game will be done right by Blizzard anymore. The entire team that made WC3 is pretty much entirely gone and they are now mostly in Frost Giant Studios along with some devs that also made SC2, they are currently making a RTS which will hopefully be good. Its not that I write off potential good new devs either but the way they are handling their current games like prioritizing censoring 17 year old content over actually making good content makes them look like they are only there to push their own agenda rather than making a game fun. Its happened in other industries and its happening here aswell.

Just look at how WC3: Reforged is handled. Bobby saw no way that it could generate enough money to be worth it (setting this unrealistic expectation that every game has to perform about as well as a new WoW or CoD game), and the team got completely shafted which resulted in an unfinished game that is actually way worse than the original. This alone is a red flag that the Blizzard of old and their believes that a game ''is done when its done'' are completely gone.

With the information i have right now as in knowing nothing at all, no i would not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would do the same as with any other game. Wait until it's out. Read some reviews and buy it if it seems like fun. Pre-ordering games is stupid anyways.

i'd probably buy it but i cant imagine it being much different or better than wc3 or sc2 so... i dont have much hope for an RTS i suppose
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

5+ Year Old Account
    Who knows... I certainly wouldn't preorder it, for starters, and I would even wait a year or so after launch, to see how things unfold.

Btw, if Danuser & co. were to be in charge of the story, it would mean an automatic hard pass. If I wanted to hear morality sermons, I would go to a random church instead of buying a videogame.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.