Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

If shadowlands draw souls from the entire universe, what did Sylvanas even accomplish

Seeing as the 4th war was pretty much instigated by Sylvanas to funnel souls to the maw ( Even though some horde players like me felt it was justified before what everyone said about her was right and she pissed off ).

She made the pact with the jailer after Arthas died, so nuking Gilneas was for the jailer, then more bad stuff, then Lordaeron, Teldrassil, The war at large, Sylvanas being absent from battle for dazar'alor, and helping to free N'zoth. But all this at large, must just be a drop in the Ocean compared to the rest of the universe? Billions of worlds, billions of wars, billions of deaths. Then you have Teldrassil that was just maybe a hundred thousand?

I don't think it would have made a difference
    An'u belore delen'na

I think you're right. Surely what she did would be a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of souls constantly flooding in? The problem is Danuser and his fellow writers aren't very good at writing anything that makes sense.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

5+ Year Old Account
    She was a very minoritary shareholder in Maw Inc., and still she thought that she could destroy, or at least subvert the entire Shadowlands. Silly gurl.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    She was a very minoritary shareholder in Maw Inc., and still she thought that she could destroy, or at least subvert the entire Shadowlands. Silly gurl.
    Sylvanas was acting at the Jailer's behest, and we're lead to believe her actions were impactful. This isn't a deliberate character flaw, it's just a plot hole.

idk maybe azeroth is the only world with life on it.

Uhhhh besides Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    idk maybe azeroth is the only world with life on it.

Uhhhh besides Draenor
    Then who are the Ethereals trading with? You can't run a cosmic consortium if there is only one planet to trade with. Otherwise you're just running a global consortium on Azeroth.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post
    Seeing as the 4th war was pretty much instigated by Sylvanas to funnel souls to the maw ( Even though some horde players like me felt it was justified before what everyone said about her was right and she pissed off ).

She made the pact with the jailer after Arthas died, so nuking Gilneas was for the jailer, then more bad stuff, then Lordaeron, Teldrassil, The war at large, Sylvanas being absent from battle for dazar'alor, and helping to free N'zoth. But all this at large, must just be a drop in the Ocean compared to the rest of the universe? Billions of worlds, billions of wars, billions of deaths. Then you have Teldrassil that was just maybe a hundred thousand?

don't forget the Legion destroyed countless worlds before we stopped them. so there might not be that many worlds out there with intelligent life on them. The only other thing I can think of is the Azeroth factor - we're the only world (that we know of) that has an intact world soul inside of it. which means beings from our world might have more anima to help fuel the Jailer.

It makes no sense. Teldrassil wouldn't even be a drop in the universe (multiverse?)'s bucket. Even if the dead numbered in the hundreds of thousands, the Shadowlands hold the dead of not only all of Azeroth, not only all the universe, but every possible universe as well. We don't know how many worlds are out there, but enough that the Legion has been rampaging across the universe for 25 000 years and haven't shown any signs of being close to done. Now multiply that by the number of multiverses. One city of one people being enough to noticeably empower the Maw is absurd considering this scale.

Honestly the entire story would make tons more sense if the Shadowlands were only for MU Azeroth, and the Jailer was trying to break out and remake reality precisely so that his Maw could now absorb souls from all the worlds and universe(s) to bring them all under his influence and empower him immensely. It's not like the story even cares about all those other worlds in the first place, save for the Jailer and the Eternal Ones all the important NPCs are from Azeroth anyway.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Y'all struggled with math in highschool and it shows

Maybe Azeroth is the last inhabited planet left after Sargeras destroyed all the other ones? That could explain why it is so important and the center of all most conflicts.

There might be billions of worlds, but most of them would be empty.

Its either Azeroth having unique souls due to the world soul, or he ha other minions on other words doing similar stunts for souls.... or bad writing
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Then who are the Ethereals trading with? You can't run a cosmic consortium if there is only one planet to trade with. Otherwise you're just running a global consortium on Azeroth.
    rofl iono. I was just trying to think of some excuse but felt "am I forgetting others?" and yeah evidently. The real answer is the writers wing it.

7+ Year Old Account
    its a common marvel problem that blizzard encounter, where everything that happens, it happens because earth, on earth or on earth behalf, despite earth being just a random planet with billions of others.

Logically, nothing that she did would do anything, Burning crusade would have feed much more souls to then, not counting the ones they turned to demons, but that is beyond the writers grade.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Maybe Azeroth is the last inhabited planet left after Sargeras destroyed all the other ones? That could explain why it is so important and the center of all most conflicts.

There might be billions of worlds, but most of them would be empty.
    It is this.

Or, it just occurred to an idiot that the Horde was going to burn Teldrazzil because it looks cool, it turned out that neither the Alliance nor the Horde liked that and now they are trying to justify why they did it and they only put more lies and things like that.

No wonder we only save Kaldorei souls from the Maw. They are desperately trying to get us to forget about Teldrazzil. But without giving it a real ending.

Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post
    It is this.

Or, it just occurred to an idiot that the Horde was going to burn Teldrazzil because it looks cool, it turned out that neither the Alliance nor the Horde liked that and now they are trying to justify why they did it and they only put more lies and things like that.

No wonder we only save Kaldorei souls from the Maw. They are desperately trying to get us to forget about Teldrazzil. But without giving it a real ending.
    I did like it. If picking up their souls didn't yield rewards I wouldn't do it.

they're basically trying to run the Jailer/Shadowlands story on rule of cool but haven't actually been able to make it, you know... cool. so it falls pretty flat and fills with plot holes... it's like Swiss cheese only it doesn't taste as good

it's a shame because some of the side stories and concepts involved in Shadowlands are pretty good, but the main storyline isn't strong enough to hold it all together

souls from worlds with world souls are more powerful compared to other worlds.

but yeah if there are say a million planets with life then that still doesn't mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    I did like it. If picking up their souls didn't yield rewards I wouldn't do it.
    Well unfortunately at the time of seeing the opinion of the fans your "like" disappeared in the tide of "I don't like" that the video had.
    But now you're going to have more luck since they removed the "I don't like" from Yotuve.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post

well, afaik the souls go to jailer since arbiter broke (argus death) so its what, year or so in azeroth timeline, so in that time i dont think the amount of souls from whole (almost) race is like a drop in ocean...
    and we know beings of some kind dont even go to SL, like elementals, so only some "life-forms" go there, there might be worlds with none of those, as was azeroth before titans came if i remember correctly

and btw, "bilions of worlds" really? we know about how many, dozen? most of which was destroyed by legion already... obviously there are more but where did you get the bilions? MAYBE hundreds, and unless there is war going on on every single one of them at this very moment, yeah, 4th war bodycount could have quite significant impact...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2021-12-28 at 12:48 PM.

That is actually my biggest problem with the shadowlands. It just doesn't make sense. In many places. But this one is the biggest.

Either: The Burning Legion basically destroyed ever other planet... which would be bleak because they basically won in that case. But also not possible because there are different races in the Shadowlands.
    Not every normal race goes to the shadowlands... which would contradict other stuff.
    Or more probable: They did not think of the implications. Sometimes it feels like Danuser has good ideas but needs someone to edit him. Which apparantly he does not. How big ist the lore team at blizzard. Danuser who decides everything and golden (way more capable imho, people maybe don't like her focus but at least it makes sense) who gets ignored?

The other problem is the bullshit every version of you from every parallel dimension and whatnot converges into one soul in the SL. Granted they said Draenor for example is a pocket dimension. But this would still mean, that basically every orc and Draenei will have serious personality disorders after death trying to consolidate different memories. Like Draka who did not even have her son in the alternate universe.
    This problem would be completly avoided if they just get rid of the notion that every reality converges into one in the other lands like SL lifelands etc.