Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    boris has genuinely been on the piss since he got ousted
    I do know that he was on vacay and canceled it to come home and decide that actually he wasn't going to run anyways.

With shrewd political instincts like that he's on-track to become the next PM (again)!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    At what point does the British public start protesting and demanding a general election because the country likely won't survive until 2025 at this rate.
    There are certainly demands, but no protests as of yet. I think it is only a matter of time though. Well, I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    There are certainly demands, but no protests as of yet. I think it is only a matter of time though. Well, I hope.
    Would protests even do anything short term? The Tories will not, under any circumstances, call an election this far down in the polls. And as upset as people may be, there's roughly a zero chance of an actual government-toppling revolution happening in the UK over this. Waiting it out to 2025 seems to be the literal only option the UK citizens have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Would protests even do anything short term? The Tories will not, under any circumstances, call an election this far down in the polls. And as upset as people may be, there's roughly a zero chance of an actual government-toppling revolution happening in the UK over this. Waiting it out to 2025 seems to be the literal only option the UK citizens have.
    You are absolutely correct, I was hoping on the 5th of November someone would finally do what guy fawkes set out to do but alas all was quiet only an effigy of Truss and possibly Bozo the clown was burned.

This country is starting to look more and more like the UK of that movie V for Vendetta with an extreme far right corrupt government in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    So if there are mass protests, not necessarily for the democratic deficit of a revolving prime minister and a party that is nowhere near close to delivering on what they promised but simply on issues like inflation and cost of living, would that never trigger an election? I am not saying there is any legal reason why it would, I am just asking for what the precedent is in the UK. In my country a government could have a clean majority and be able to survive confidence motions but if there is general unrest they have in the past given early elections. Heck just before the financial crisis in 2007 the conservative party had very early elections because they realized they needed to enforce austerity and had no mandate for it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    So if there are mass protests, not necessarily for the democratic deficit of a revolving prime minister and a party that is nowhere near close to delivering on what they promised but simply on issues like inflation and cost of living, would that never trigger an election? I am not saying there is any legal reason why it would, I am just asking for what the precedent is in the UK. In my country a government could have a clean majority and be able to survive confidence motions but if there is general unrest they have in the past given early elections. Heck just before the financial crisis in 2007 the conservative party had very early elections because they realized they needed to enforce austerity and had no mandate for it.
    A responsible government WOULD call an election, but they don't have to. In the case of Greece in 2007 it was a tactical move. They were polling well enough to suggest that they'd keep their majority, and had to do some unpopular things that would likely cause them to fall in the polls. So they called the election to get it over with while they could still win it, hoping that the win would last long enough that they could stabilize and recover their image later.

In the UK, if the Tories call an election right now, they'd be lucky to exist at all at the end of it. It'd be a slaughter, with the vast majority of them losing their seat. A group of people who are concerned with things like the mandate of the governed would admit that they have lost it, call the election, and work at rebuilding their party in the aftermath. But very few parties in any country will willingly relinquish power, and the only mechanism to force the issue would be if the King stepped in, which has it's own special raft of problems and is almost as unlikely to happen as the Tories doing it themselves.