Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well everyone knew she’d be a trainwreck, except ofcourse idiots like Dribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i mean the whole 'our ideology is based on individualism but we want to be incharge of a collective of 67million people' is probably where the problem starts.
    Do Tories have the same, "The government is the problem!" position Republicans do as they campaign to...run the government? Because that'd be the cherry on top of the sundae.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Do Tories have the same, "The government is the problem!" position Republicans do as they campaign to...run the government? Because that'd be the cherry on top of the sundae.
    No. They just frame everything through the lens that Labour can't be trusted with the economy because the Tories fucked the economy in the 1970s and Gordon Brown destroyed the global economy in 2008.

Also Thatcher, she was great wasn't she? Selling off the state so that private interests can loot it for the benefit of virtually no one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda wish we had the USA system, at least it's fair either Left evil or right evil gets in and leaning too much to one side causes movement to the other side.

Here the typical "left" is split into 5 other parties vs essentially the "right" wing conservative and unless the party literally destroys the country it's pretty difficult to get a majority the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I kinda wish we had the USA system, at least it's fair either Left evil or right evil gets in and leaning too much to one side causes movement to the other side.

Here the typical "left" is split into 5 other parties vs essentially the "right" wing conservative and unless the party literally destroys the country it's pretty difficult to get a majority the other way.
    The last thing we need is the US system. Though TBH our system isn't far removed from it when it comes to the lower house. What we need is a style more like some of the european democracies where even if the left and right are split, it doesn't really matter because the PR system allows for more parties to actually get representation at a level where their voting base is at.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    No. They just frame everything through the lens that Labour can't be trusted with the economy because the Tories fucked the economy in the 1970s and Gordon Brown destroyed the global economy in 2008.

Also Thatcher, she was great wasn't she? Selling off the state so that private interests can loot it for the benefit of virtually no one.
    Liz Truss has some fantastic policies, many copied from the great Margaret Thatcher. What has gone wrong this week is the presentation and delivery of those ideas. That is all.

She is down, but not quite yet out.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Liz Truss has some fantastic policies, many copied from the great Margaret Thatcher. What has gone wrong this week is the presentation and delivery of those ideas. That is all.

All of your posts are very bipolar, if not schizophrenic, when it comes to consistency. Wouldn't it be easier to just finally admit to playing around and get on with things?

the great Margaret Thatcher
    This has to be performance art, lol.

Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This has to be performance art, lol.
    Margaret Thatcher inherited from Labour an income tax rate of 83% for the highest earners, 98% on some forms of unearned income. Can you imagine taking home 2p on every pound? Thatcher cut it to 40%, that was performance art. Liz wanted to do the same...

Do we really want to go back there, taking home pennies in every pound earned? Labour's magic money tree spending, if they are elected, will see that we do.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Margaret Thatcher inherited from Labour an income tax rate of 83% for the highest earners, 98% on some forms of unearned income. Can you imagine taking home 2p on every pound? Thatcher cut it to 40%, that was performance art. Liz wanted to do the same...

Do we really want to go back there, taking home pennies in every pound earned? Labour's magic money tree spending, if they are elected, will see that we do.
    "Here's a bunch of excuses for why her terrible Prime Minstership wasn't actually her fault."

10+ Year Old Account

Two things.

1) The rate you listed is, as you said, only on the highest earners; the highest earners are invariably people who get most of their wealth in the form of corporate profits or capital gains, both of which have been taxed at substantially lower rates than income even in the pre-Thatcher era.
    2) There's a difference between nominal and real tax rates. The rate you listed is the nominal rate; as in the US, the real income tax rate for the highest bracket was in the realm of 40% after deductions. As opposed to the post-Thatcher rates of 23% nominal and fuck-all real.

Also:

darling Liz
    Mad Liz
    Give Liz a chance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

In WW2 top earners payed 99.25% tax.

When the wealth gap between rich and the poorer part of society means that the poor cant afford rent/mortgage, while also keeping warm and feeding themselves in difficult periods (which we are currently in) The rich and well paid also have to feel it as well.

They are more than happy to live here and take the money when times are good, so they should expect to feel the pinch in difficult times also. Its not difficult to understand what living in a 1/2 decent society means, Truss with her batshit policies doesn't.
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    The top 1% have been making their fortunes off increasingly shit living standards for everyone else for the past two decades.

Forgive me for not shedding a tear that they can't amass further fortunes that they'll never ever spend.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The top 1% have been making their fortunes off increasingly shit living standards for everyone else for the past two decades.

Forgive me for not shedding a tear that they can't amass further fortunes that they'll never ever spend.
    Make that 4 decades.

But honestly in agreement. If the highest earners are only taking 2p out of every pound they make they're still raking in more money in a day than the rest of us are making in a lifetime. If that means the 99% of us actually get to have heating in our homes, and afford to get on the property ladder, then I say tax the fuckers and if they try to make huge amount of their income leave the country, find a way to tax that too so they can't.

Remind me what growth was like back then. And Liz wants growth, does she not? And since you approve of what she tried to do, you want growth too, right?

You should be on the side of a MASSIVE increase in the top rates of tax, and a huge redistribution of wealth away from the 1% and towards the 99%. Because historically the highest growth rates have occurred when that was the situation.

But you don't want consistency. Or any kind of policy for that matter. You just want to sit here with your political position of "whatever winds people up", which swings wildly depending on what's happening on the day. Which means you come across like an ignorant child when you post here. Just because you're a perfomative charicature of the right wing most of the time doesn't make you funny. Just sad.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post

The problem with Labour and their inevitable punitive tax rates is that they crush aspiration. Doesn't everyone dream of being in the top 1%? Well when they talk about levelling up they don't really mean that but they try to make all equal by dragging the rich down to the level of the poor. It never works, only one person can own the coffee shop, if everyone owns one who will serve the coffee? Society has to have rich and poor people or it just doesn't work.

Conservatives know this and by cutting taxes allow people to keep more of their own earned money in the belief that they can spend it better and more efficiently than government can. They give the opportunity for all to truly level up. Labour crush dreams, the Tories create them for people.

Another piece of performance art. It is rumoured when Thatcher was asked what her greatest achievement was she answered "Tony Blair". That is why the extreme left despise her because she destroyed them, for ever. It is true the dangerous undercurrents of the far left do still exist, and we saw that with Labour's recent dalliance with Corbyn.

But for the most part they have been neutered and that is thanks to the great Margaret Thatcher.

The problem with Labour and their inevitable punitive tax rates is that they crush aspiration. Doesn't everyone dream of being in the top 1%? Well when they talk about levelling up they don't really mean that but they try to make all equal by dragging the rich down to the level of the poor. It never works, only one person can own the coffee shop, if everyone owns one who will serve the coffee? Society has to have rich and poor people or it just doesn't work.

Conservatives know this and by cutting taxes allow people to keep more of their own earned money in the belief that they can spend it better and more efficiently than government can. They give the opportunity for all to truly level up. Labour crush dreams, the Tories create them for people.

Another piece of performance art. It is rumoured when Thatcher was asked what her greatest achievement was she answered "Tony Blair". That is why the extreme left despise her because she destroyed them, for ever. It is true the dangerous undercurrents of the far left do still exist, and we saw that with Labour's recent dalliance with Corbyn.

But for the most part they have been neutered and that is thanks to the great Margaret Thatcher.
    Wow, a post that you can play right wing bingo on all on its own. Congratulations.

Only one person can own a coffee shop? Someone needs to educate themselves about co-operatives. The clue is in the name. Society has to have rich and poor people to work? Tell you what, create two societies; one without the rich, one without the poor. Want to take a guess which one collapses first?

Your ignorance is legendary round here. Whether you believe this shite you spew out is still up for debate. But rest assured, your posts are treated with the same reverence as Yuppie or PC2.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

It's okay to admit that someone on your side of politics is wrong. You don't have to pretend that they are all doing a great job when they clearly aren't. Or that all of their ideas are good ones.

It's not healthy to act like it's a religion and that if even one thing is wrong then everything else might be wrong too.

If someone is clearly not fit to lead and has bad ideas, yet you pretend that's not the case, then how can anyone possibly take you seriously on anything else?

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Labour and their inevitable punitive tax rates is that they crush aspiration.
    Citation needed. This wasn't the case with similar tax rates during the pre-Reagan era in the United States.

Doesn't everyone dream of being in the top 1%? Well when they talk about levelling up they don't really mean that but they try to make all equal by dragging the rich down to the level of the poor. It never works, only one person can own the coffee shop, if everyone owns one who will serve the coffee? Society has to have rich and poor people or it just doesn't work.
    Nor does a society where poor people are struggling to subsist due to a massive level of wealth inequality, as the last forty years of conservative fiscal policy have demonstrated.

Which is why the modern UK is seeing poverty running rampant to the point food banks can't keep up with demand, right?

This is a tacit admission that the UK's political and economic failings over the past forty years are the direct result of Thatcherism, just so you're aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.