Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    Though hopefully, they kick ole Bobby to the curb sooner rather than later, the guy is a massive liability, especially with their legal problems not even close to over yet.
    Word is he's out once the deal is approved so good news there.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    The Warcraft IP is still one of the highest grossing franchises in the world. As a whole, just a little behind James Bond.

And according to this, ahead of Candy Crush, to boot.

They'd be nuts to ignore Warcraft.
    I feel like that number is wrong. Wow was averaging over a billion a year for over a decade. Also all other Warcraft and hearthstone. The lifetime earnings should be over 20b. Warcraft is on the same level as Lord of the rings imo.

It depends on the sales the product continues to earn from subscriptions and the cash shop which blizzard has stated multiple times that they don't listen to players feedback unless it shows in sales which as it stands their is still a value in the product maintaining it's servers for both classic and 'retail' as it's known. I wouldn't get too attached to classic as it's future is uncertain after WOTLK drops. Some people I know with connections state that they might just make it a separate game with it's own sub while others state that they'll just merge them into the retail product. As for retail it's prob just going to end up ditching the whole horde and alliance entirely and just merging players into one order which has already been happening slowly since BFA. More employees will be slowly removed as a result of the buyout to make way for blood that is more on board with the current climate microsoft wants to have but you might not notice it unless you look it as Blizzard wishes to move forward it seems. You might see more events and limited time stuff though which is nice but at the end of the day but a officially announced maintenance mode? doubtful.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Word is he's out once the deal is approved so good news there.
    Wasn't Phil Spencer one of they guys being vocal when Blizz scandal broke out? Would be hypocritical af if they would allow Bobby stay after his contract runs out.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

I know retail may be in questionable state but going into maintenance mode would be very unambitious from Microsoft

Considering they just spend 70Billion ...

World of Warcraft is still one of the biggest brands of Activision Blizzard.

I would expect them to have atleast some plans to revitalize WoW. And see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Wasn't Phil Spencer one of they guys being vocal when Blizz scandal broke out? Would be hypocritical af if they would allow Bobby stay after his contract runs out.
    Funny how millions billions of dollars can change people's opinions, eh?

yeah they spent 68 billions to shut their current most profitable licence, seems a good business decision

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    yeah.....microsoft spent 68 billion dollars to put it into maintenance mode.......
    WoW is a tiny fraction of Activision Blizzard's earnings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gourbaak View Post
    yeah they spent 68 billions to shut their current most profitable licence, seems a good business decision
    Candy Crush is going into maintenance mode?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Everquest 1 isn't in maintenance mode. They're still releasing expansions. It has like 75k players.

WoW is not going to be put to pasture anytime soon.
    I agree but wow is significantly more expensive to develop for. If they ever fall as low as 500k or even a million they might consider ftp.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Yeah dude. They're going to put the biggest, most popular and most profitable video game in history directly into maintenance mode because Microsoft bought them out. Definitely. 100% happening. I don't know why you didn't just put [CONFIRMED] in the title.
    You are incredibly misinformed, I have to say. WoW is in the top ten, but only barely just. https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-c...me-franchises/ Pokemon is the top dog, and has been for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah sure, they spent 70 000 000 000 dollars just for candy crush
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    You are incredibly misinformed, I have to say. WoW is in the top ten, but only barely just. https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-c...me-franchises/ Pokemon is the top dog, and has been for a long time.
    I was being intentionally facetious to point out the hilarious absurdity of the OP's suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's be conservative here. 5 years from now gamepass has 50m users. Gamepass is now 20 dollars a month. That's at a minimum 12 billion dollars a year. Now let's be optimistic. Gamepass is now 25 dollars. They have 100m users. That's 30 billion. Gamepass really does have potential to make Microsoft bank. Especially if they bundle wow into it.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I was being intentionally facetious to point out the hilarious absurdity of the OP's suggestion.
    Aahh, apologies. There've been a lot of people blindly defending Blizzard today, so I didn't even put on my sarcasm goggles. My mistake!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Everquest 1 isn't in maintenance mode. They're still releasing expansions. It has like 75k players.

WoW is not going to be put to pasture anytime soon.
    EQ2 is still getting content and has even less, and it was just announced that RIFT will be getting a content update for the first time in a few years, though we're all holding our breath on that one. I always laugh when I see threads like this made by people who have absolutely no idea what the MMO market looks like outside of WoW, claiming WoW is dying and going in maintenance mode. EQ1 is going strong after 23 years, WoW ain't goin anywhere lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadrak View Post
    I know retail may be in questionable state but going into maintenance mode would be very unambitious from Microsoft

Considering they just spend 70Billion ...

World of Warcraft is still one of the biggest brands of Activision Blizzard.

I would expect them to have atleast some plans to revitalize WoW. And see how it goes.
    Yeah but we won't see any input from Microsoft until 11.0 at least. At probably 11.0 patches. 12.0 should be mostly developed under Microsoft.

I thought Shadowlands already felt like an expansion in maintenance mode with the possibility that 10.0 will end up way better like how they abandoned WoD for Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah but we won't see any input from Microsoft until 11.0 at least. At probably 11.0 patches. 12.0 should be mostly developed under Microsoft.
    If they replace Kotick as news suggest.
    Then person from that position can replace people under him, and those under him ... etc etc.

And that new CEO would be kind of responsible for the company, so he would probably "review the situation" and make some changes if necessary.

Its possible some adjustments where the game is heading could happen earlier.
    Last edited by Wadrak; 2022-01-18 at 08:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffinat0r View Post
    I know the deal was just announced but do you think they'll halt working on 10 until MS can evaluate the buy? I know 9.2 is actively being worked on right now, but I feel like 10 expansion may not have the same level of support, and could lead to a delay while the company evaluates the IP.
    Far from? Why would they mention one of the main goals being to get WoW and then go maintenance mode after 9.2 when people have just found encrypted files of a possible 10.0 reward?`

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wadrak View Post
    If they replace Kotick as news suggest.
    Then person from that position can replace people under him, and those under him ... etc etc.

And that new CEO would be kind of responsible for the company, so he would probably "review the situation" and make some changes if necessary.

Its possible some adjustments where the game is heading could happen earlier.
    News seem to show Kotick being no more after the sale is completed. And they wish to keep as many original ATVI employees as possible.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    EQ1 is going strong after 23 years, WoW ain't goin anywhere lol
    28th expansion out just last month, in fact.

Makes me laugh too.