10+ Year Old Account

What were your favorite albums of 2021?

What were your favorite albums released in 2021? You can also share some thoughts why. I will start...

1. Radical by Every Time I Die
    • I was instantly hooked ever since they dropped the first two singles back in 2020, I wasn't this excited for a new release in years. Not only they delivered, they far exceeded my expectations. I think it has it all honestly. Despite it going really fucking hard, it has great moments of melody and humor; and of course, Keith's lyrics are great as always.
    • My favorite songs: Sly, Post-Boredom, Desperate Pleasures, All This and War, Thing With Feathers, Hostile Architecture, AWOL and White Void

2. The Romance of Affliction by SeeYouSpaceCowboy
    • This was the biggest surprise for me this year. I wasn't really fan of the first single for this record as I am not really fan of those emo choruses but it turned out the album is incredibly nasty and yet weirdly sensual at the same time. It's really dark and in the end I found those emo bits were great embelishment because they add variety, otherwise it would be just an oslaught.
    • My favorite songs: The End to a Brief Moment of Lasting Intimacy, Sharpen What You Can, Ourobors as an Overused Metaphor; and Melodrama Between Two Entirely Bored Individuals

3. If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power by Halsey
    • Wasn't really a huge fan of hers but I always respected Halsey for some reason. I got to say the collaboration with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross of Nine Inch Nails got me intrigued and was pleasantly surprised. I love the vibe, it is chill but definitely not boring as it often breaks stereotypical pop structures.
    • My favorite songs: Lilith, You Asked For this, honey and I am not a woman, I am a god

4. GLOW ON by Turnstile
    • Been a huge fan of their previous record Time & Space and they just expanded on the sound. I love how high energy it is despite not being aggressive even though I obviously love it, it is just refreshing for a Hardcore band to have a vibrant vibe. Especially since the latest Hardcore surge getting more and more extreme.
    • My favorite songs: MYSTERY, BLACKOUT, HOLIDAY, T.L.C.

5. For Those That Wish To Exist by Architects
    • I didn't really like it when it came out, but it kind of grew on me and I've been coming back to it a lot for whatever reason. Definitely not a perfect album as I think the lyrics can be cheesy at times and some songs could easily be cut out, these guys are just great at this style. I am pretty negative here and still place it this high.
    • My favorite songs: Black Lungs, Giving Blood, Impermanence, Animals and Libertine

What's yours?

Really like Turnstile as well, they remind me a lot of Snapcase in ye olden days of yore. Don't have an overview of releases in '21, don't remember much besides Converge /w Chelsea Wolfe and Stephen Brodsky's "Bloodmoon". Maybe Cult of Luna, Jinjer, Deafhaven...

Haven't followed ETID since "hot damn" a lot, where are they today, still comparable?

Edit: Don't know whether you've seen their Tiny Desk Show:
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2022-01-15 at 11:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Really like Turnstile as well, they remind me a lot of Snapcase in ye olden days of yore. Don't have an overview of releases in '21, don't remember much besides Converge /w Chelsea Wolfe and Stephen Brodsky's "Bloodmoon". Maybe Cult of Luna, Jinjer, Deafhaven...

Edit: Don't know whether you've seen their Tiny Desk Show: *snip*
    Of course I've seen it. Though I much prefer their standard shows... I know some people bash them but I think they are good for Hardcore scene since they have probably the biggest potential to bring new people in. Hardcore can be intimidating sometimes because of the tough guy attitudes and crowd killers are fucking annoying but I think there are many smart people there and in general it is a great community to be a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Haven't followed ETID since "hot damn" a lot, where are they today, still comparable?
    In my opinion Radical is their best album yet. I love every second of it, it is definitely more technical than anything else they done before and whether you like it or not is a matter of taste. I am also a massive fan of The Dillinger Escape Plan and definitely no stranger to those chaotic and dissonant guitar squells, but those southern fried riffs give it a different flavor. I LOVE it man...

Hot Damn! was great for how raw it sounded but those guys never dissapoint really, I don't think they ever released a bad record. They are mind-blowingly consistent. I highly recommend to give Radical a listen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty mediocre year overall.

1. Kaatayra - Inpariquipê

2. Floating Points - Promises

3. Parannoul - To See the Next Part of the Dream

4. black midi - Cavalcade

5. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

Haven't put my finalized list together yet(not been the best year I've ever had musically) but these are all possibilities:

Flotsam & Jetsam-Blood in the Water
    Paranorm-Empyrean
    Lovebites-Heavy Metal Never Dies:Live at Tokyo Dome City Hall 2021
    Eternity's End-Embers of War
    Brainstorm-Wall of Skulls
    Volbeat-Servant of the Mind
    Ibuki-Storm of Emotion
    Helloween-s/t
    Obscura-A Valediction
    Witherfall-Curse of Autumn

I didn't keep up with new music this year as much as in previous years. Jazmine Sullivan's Heaux Tales was a remarkable piece of art though.

10+ Year Old Account
    This year has been bad for music for me. I did enjoy Iron Maidens new album, and Rise Against new album was also pretty cool.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

My top15 of the year had

Bruit < - The Machine Is Burning and Now Everyone Knows It Could Happen Again
    Sel Balamir - Swell
    Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage
    The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die - Illusory Walls
    Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders and the London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
    Kayo Dot - Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike
    Turnstile - Glow On
    Between the Buried and Me - Colors II
    Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon: I
    Bvdub - Hard Times, Hard Hearts
    Aesop Rock & Blockhead - Garbology
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d’s Pee AT STATE’S END!
    Squid - Bright Green Field
    Black Midi - Cavalcade
    Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8