Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I do enjoy getting a cool mount just like the next guy/gal, but trying to mass collect them seems like such a mountainous task. I tried a bit once, but lost interest, but I completely understand the appeal to collectors.

People like numbers and completing/collecting things. Even if they will never use them

Me though, I have no desire to put in the effort to obtain items that give me no tangible benefit, unless they are a measure of skill, like glad mounts or Mythic boss mounts. Most mounts are not this

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    So for those out there who love collecting mounts, why?
    Same reason I collect everything, it's there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I collecting everything that can be collected, mog, mounts, pets, recipes, toys, quest completion, achievements, etc. I don't use any of it, I don't give a shit about the stuff itself it's just something to be collected.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand it myself, but it's not hard to imagine why people care for them. Some people like collecting stuff, whether it's in game or IRL. I don't really do either, so the appeal is a bit lost on me.

For me games are always about the challenge and the moments I share with the people I actually play games with. Achievements, mounts, pets are always secondary, and in regards to collectibles are always things I take last when I'm in a group. Basically I just play games for fun, and items like mounts aren't really a driving force for me. To each their own, although I feel there are people who have an unhealthy obsession with this type of behavior though (typically if people collect mounts, they usually want every pet and achievement in the game as well).

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    FFXIV does this too, but unlike WoW their main appeal is people logging in & relaxing. RP, Housing & other non-advancement-based playstyles is where FFXIV really excels. They could start by say, adding a Bard Class that can busk in the streets like they do in FFXIV. That would greatly enhance the vibe of the game.
    So what your saying is players who decide to treat the game like a game enjoy the game as a game. Pretty much what we all knew already.

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    I can totally understand that there are definitely collectors out there who have fun trying to own or do everything.

This is cool. The OP answered, and understood, his own thread before he even hit post.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This is cool. The OP answered, and understood, his own thread before he even hit post.
    Also he/she understood, that their opinion wasn't the only one of value.
    Last edited by m4Zzo928; 2022-01-25 at 11:58 PM.

Ocd take but here i go:
    I'd be a lot more inclined to commit to collecting mounts and a lot of other stuff if everything was still unlock-able, the fact that i can never get it to 100% as so much is already out of reach for my inner completionist (a thing i absolutely love to do in single player rpgs) kinda ruins it for me so much that I don't even try and just get a few fitting mounts/transmogs for the class.

The fact that even someone as nolife as asmongold will never be able to truly hit 100% kind of disturbs me.
    Just my ocd take though.

Tbh I never bothered to get more than one mount, whichever epic mount of that race I was playing. Then, when they normalized them, I just used whichever was thrown my way. I also coincidentally never raised my reputation anywhere unless required directly for character progression.

I swear the game could have been all just raiding for me for 16 years and I would have been fine
    Corsair 4000X RGB || AMD Ryzen 9 5900X || ASUS ROG Strix X570-F || AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Sapphire Pulse
    64GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3600 || NZXT Kraken X63

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna be honest here, it's profoundly strange to me that this has to be explained to you, lol.

Mount collecting is fun because each mount is unique, they each come from a different place, some are prestigious, some are rare, some aren't obtainable anymore or will become unobtainable. Some look cool. Some actually do have unique animations or /mountspecials. Each mount has a story behind it, just like say..collecting swords in real life, or guns, or anything that anyone collects, honestly.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

3+ Year Old Account
    It's really a matter of scratching the completionist itch, even if only in one category. That, plus the rush that getting a good number of mounts brings. I was absolutely ecstatic when the new ZG raptor dropped for me after ~700 kills, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I don't think there is anything special to in comparison to other activities that involves collecting [anything].

For me personally, it used to be a pastime after i was done raiding, gearing alts, etc.., which you just did by doing different activities within the game, but ever since late MoP i was increasingly turned off because the amount of some mounts that they just flatout dumped into the game became too much.
    Back in Wotlk / Cata / early MoP, the goal of collecting almost very obtainable mount was still within sight, but now it's near impossible because every new patch brings like 30 mounts, plenty of which drop of a "rare mob" (or rather, a mob you kill on a daily basis that you find by jumping through multiple shards).

I think back to camping the TLPD in Storm peaks during Wotlk / Cata, certainly not high octane gameplay, but just sitting there and chilling - reminds me of fishing.
    once again, Kralljin is a mighty hammer that meets the nail with grand truth and humble honesty.

i was going to post until i saw this.

I sat in Deepholm for weeks. i made so much gold off mining while waiting. when he finally popped right in front of my face, pure joy

Not playing anymore, but back then I always enjoyed collecting mounts. More generally, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) collecting stuff. I collected stamps as a kid, then I collected tissues (unused, obviously, and only one of each type). I was a weird kid. Nowadays, I mostly 'collect' achievements in games.
    WoW mounts also had the additional appeal to be able to discuss with friends. Many people in my guild also collected them. So we could sometimes do stuff in the group, and talk about the mounts we got, and (more importantly) complain about the mounts we didn't get. In 99.9% of the cases, I used the Tawny Wind Rider anyway, which made some of them furious at the time, because I had some very rare mounts (the one more or less coloured like the WC3 units).

I only get the ones i think cool and aren't insane to get. Before we got the whole CRZ thing, i still cared about collecting, but since that happened i stopped.

Most mounts are just a +1 in your mount counter. They really are just a waste of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked to farm mounts up until mop. Then it became just too much.
    I mean ... it feels like shadowlands has more mounts than the first 3 addons combined.
    99% of the time i use the same 2 mounts anyway.

Customisation and character expression, IMO.

Sure, there might be a hundred horses with the same animations that are just pallet swaps, but it means my shadow priest has one that matches his aesthetic, my green OR orange fire warlocks do, as does my arcane mage, fire mage, void elf, nightborne, human warrior, draenei paladin...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a hobby and for fun - as long as the one that keeps eluding you/got away doesn't keep you up at night...
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I like collecting stuff. that is basically it.

I personally don’t think of things I do in wow as having any permanence. I play with my camera super zoomed out so I don’t notice my gear, and my guild mates used to make fun of me because I regularly used a bat mount which was one of the first I got.

I did have a very brief mount collecting phase where I got to 100 mounts, and for me it was about the fun I had doing things - running old raids and getting achievements mainly.

When I use a current mount it’s again to show off an achievement-KSM or challenge mode gold. Which is why store mounts are meaningless to me - it doesn’t take any skill to spend money.

Then again among kids having the money to spend is a status symbol, so maybe that’s it.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2022-01-26 at 02:25 AM.

Another thing to pad subs and lengthen the game...what else would it be.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM