Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    completion and satisfaction? I don't get the question

I just went after the ones I thought were cool. I used the random mount summon and I liked variety with it.

I had pretty much all of the ones I wanted (300ish total with tons of rare ones) except the phoenixs from MoP (which are unobtainable now) and the green infernal from Gul Dan.

Sometimes I'd do reps or things that would grant a lot of mounts just to get a lot of mounts for the achievement when I cared about achievements.

I never cared about mount collecting either. Any form of content that is intersting has no use of mounts.
    OpenWorld Content in wow has never been interesting and was never the real goal of the game, no matter what people think the game has been once and now apparntly suddenly isn't anymore.

But if people like this part of the game. Good for them. I don't get why. Because it never was a big part of the game or difficult or intersting. The ONLY mount that was intersting to get was the lucid nightmare. Becuase even after people knew how to get it the labyrinth at the end was still... well a lucid nightmare. Ane people complaint os much that blizz NEVER used a mechanic like that ever again.
    Collecting stuff in wow will always be boring for me because they cannot give it any difficulty at all or people will start whining and complaining left and right.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just for the great reward feeling when you finally get it :P I'm not a hardcore mount collector anymore (imo they started adding too many mounts at once) but I have great memories on my vanilla/tbc/wotlk mount farming times. Sometimes I just re-sub just for killing those nasty pandaria WB ... non of the 4 have dropped me the mount yet even that I've been farming them for years with some alts, but other than those, not many more.

Mount collecting (and other forms of collecting in WoW) used to appeal to me when it was feasible to finish your collection within a reasonable time, as well as when there wasn't a flood of mounts/pets/etc. added every major patch. However, that eventually changed over time.

A simple way to think about it is this: Blizz adding mounts to the game that were cool and interesting had me wanting to collect them, but when Blizz just started adding them just for the sake of collecting and time sinking I lost interest. It felt like the manta was just to waste player's time even more as time progressed for less cool and unique rewards. Before I stopped playing, I had so many mounts that it'd take about two years for me to ride each one a day without repeating... and most of those mounts are just a number that probably no one actually uses. Doesn't help that the coolest and most unique mounts tend to be shoved into the cash shop nowadays, filling the game with uninspired reskins or recolors just to increase the numbers that are obtained through uninspired obtainment methods.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by |Dexter| View Post
    Why every post needs someone to compare things to FFXIV and point out how it excels...
    Interesting, it used to be WoW players doing that in every other MMOs forum. "WoW has much more skills, WoW has much more fluid animantions, WoW has much larger zones, WoW has much more content...". Funny how things change.

As for the topic, i love that mounts last. You exchange gear all the time, transmog is much too expensive to change often and usually in my case limited to a few skins anyway. With mounts i can choose a mount that fits my character and the way i want to play today.
    Last edited by Yriel; 2022-01-26 at 08:47 AM.

it helps with game boredom

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    FFXIV does this too, but unlike WoW their main appeal is people logging in & relaxing. RP, Housing & other non-advancement-based playstyles is where FFXIV really excels. They could start by say, adding a Bard Class that can busk in the streets like they do in FFXIV. That would greatly enhance the vibe of the game.
    Doesn't FF14 actually disincentivize collecting because the glamor dresser is limited to only 400 slots?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account

Why every post needs someone to compare things to FFXIV and point out how it excels...
    and it doesn't this is the best part
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The idea is that gear lasts for 4-5 months, but mounts last in your collection forever (or until you unsubscribe). What's the point of getting gear when it's all just numbers in sphagetti code that gets invalidated in the next patch zone by world quests? Collecting mounts also usually means you have to complete all of the content in the game. if anything, I'd say mount collectors are more hardcore than raiders considering the amount of time required to farm all that content while raiding you can just log in 2-3 times a week for a couple hours.
    Gear literally lasts for ever like mounts. Transmog says hello

----------

Farming mounts I find pointless tho. There so many I´d ever use... and honestly, I rarely ever hop off Invincible.

Ashes, Invincible, Onyxia´s, black serpent drake and the nether drakes. I find that to be more than enough.

To me they are more like handbags, one for every occasion.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

For me it's one of the few ways of progression in this boring ass game that still feel somewhat enjoyable and satisfactory.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now with transmute, the skin of that gear can last forever as well... and even if you unsub all your mounts will be waiting for you when you come back

Because those kind of FF players fail to realize that the anime visuals are not everyone's cup of tea.

On topic: mounts do not get invalidated when the prepatch hits
    Last edited by Pheraz; 2022-01-26 at 09:58 AM.
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

First, because i like to collect stuff, specially stuff that does not eat up space and lasts forever. If we just had space for 20 mounts or they still worked like items on your bag i would probably ignore most of them. Being something that i can collect also works in providing a goal; If you want certain mount, you have to do certain things and doing stuff is basically investing time, killing time being the main reason to play.

Second, it's all about style! having a lot of mounts means i have a lot of options for all my characters to match certain styles if i want to. It's the same as with transmogs, why collect armor and weapons skins? because of fashion!
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

There are people who like to collect, but I'm not one of them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    This is just a general discussion based on my own curiosity.

I can totally understand that there are definitely collectors out there who have fun trying to own or do everything. I was hardcore WoW player for over 10 years (hardly touched Shadowlands though) and never once had any desire to care about mounts. They all have the same animations and provide the same purpose as all the rest of them. None of the mounts have any cool special abilities or perks to them (except for the two seaters with AH)

I think the only mount I ever really cared about was Invincible and that's really only because I was obsessed with WOTLK and DK has been my main class since Wrath beta.

So for those out there who love collecting mounts, why?
    The appeal is to beat asmongold whenever he does a mount off competition.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

I have a weekly rotation of 2-3 classic raids to farm some mounts - just because.

After 300ish mounts there's no excitement anymore when one of them drops; it's just another checked off box.

i'm only playing a druid, so I won't use those mounts anytime soon because travel form's instant cast time is simply superior. Those mounts get the most use when 2 or more players idle around and switch between mounts as some show-off-contest to pass the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I actually find that pretty comical, FF14 having the best casual playstyle but also at the same time having absolutely dog tier systems behind them. Imagine if you could port WoW's collection/wardrobe/transmog system into FF.
    It would probably break. I only have a cursory knowledge of FF's systems but isn't their "glamour dresser" capped at 400 appearances? Not sure if that's total or per slot but that's quite small compared to WoW. I've got twice that many just in cloaks.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    This is just a general discussion based on my own curiosity.

I can totally understand that there are definitely collectors out there who have fun trying to own or do everything. I was hardcore WoW player for over 10 years (hardly touched Shadowlands though) and never once had any desire to care about mounts. They all have the same animations and provide the same purpose as all the rest of them. None of the mounts have any cool special abilities or perks to them (except for the two seaters with AH)

I think the only mount I ever really cared about was Invincible and that's really only because I was obsessed with WOTLK and DK has been my main class since Wrath beta.

So for those out there who love collecting mounts, why?
    Me i just collect mounts i find to look cool, or which fits a certain kind of fantasy niche.
    I.e. my gnome has a mechaspider on land bit the arcane bird thing from legion in the sky, as he's a mage.

But honestly since i got that deathwing-esque mount and the infinite timereaver i've not really felt the urge to collect more mounts, barring mythic gul'dan's red infernal.
    Occasionally i will get either short term hype for a mount, or go look for a more compact mount as most of my awesome mounts don't do well in confined spaces.

Though there are some old timers i would like to collect, like the first gladiator mounts. Awesome netherdrakes.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-01-26 at 10:38 AM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    What's the appeal of any collection hobby like stamps, baseball cards, even books?
    I mean there is huge difference between having something real that have true value in currency and unlocking pixels on the 'rented' account (reminder: you do not own your WoW account) to see your number of mounts/pets go up.
    I will never understand this espiecially when you can 'cheat' by using real money to increase it.