Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Help] Computer shuts off when gaming.

I can't seem to solve this issue... It's an i7 11700K (stock settings), 32GB of ram and a Gigabyte 3080. 750W Corsair PSU as well. This ONLY happens when gaming and seems to be random. 2 hours in or 10 hours in.. CPU is liquid cooled.

Event Viewer for critical says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first."

Seems to only be happening during Lost Ark and Ark at this time.
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2022-02-16 at 11:11 PM.

Sounds like a PSU problem. 750W for a 3080 should actually be ok, but if your gpu spikes to high usage, it could be too much.
    You should try a 850 one if you can and see if it still happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Veoria View Post
    Sounds like a PSU problem. 750W for a 3080 should actually be ok, but if your gpu spikes to high usage, it could be too much.
    See I thought this, but prior to the 750W I had a 1000W and it did the same thing. Found out the 1000W I had was notorious for exploding so I replaced it with the 750W (Corsair RM, fully modular)

15+ Year Old Account
    My initial thought was overheating. Not sure if anyone with a bit more expertise in this field would agree with me, if so, try running HWMonitor and keep an eye on CPU and GPU temps. I don't know if HWMonitor or any other temp programs log, if they do that would great because as I can imagine you wont get a chance to look at the temp right before your computer turns off randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    My initial thought was overheating. Not sure if anyone with a bit more expertise in this field would agree with me, if so, try running HWMonitor and keep an eye on CPU and GPU temps. I don't know if HWMonitor or any other temp programs log, if they do that would great because as I can imagine you wont get a chance to look at the temp right before your computer turns off randomly.
    Its either overheating issue, PSU issue or video card issue.

My EVGA 3090 ftw3 ultra did the same thing. PC would randomly just shut off, then one time it wouldnt boot back up and the video card had the right light of death. so RMA, the brand new one did the same thing till it red light of death. RMA, the 3rd one i got is version 1.0, the first two were 0.1, and the 3rd one has not died and no PC shut offs yet. Seems they fixed the issue with the new revision.

You can try to swap out ur video card with a older one, play the same games and see if you get the same issue.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I can't seem to solve this issue... It's an i7 11700K (stock settings), 32GB of ram and a Gigabyte 3080. 750W Corsair PSU as well. This ONLY happens when gaming and seems to be random. 2 hours in or 10 hours in.. CPU is liquid cooled.

Event Viewer for critical says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first."
    Have you changed any parts recently? Did you work on the pc at all before this started happening?. Just shutting off without warning would lead me to either a heat issue or power issue.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Have you changed any parts recently? Did you work on the pc at all before this started happening?. Just shutting off without warning would lead me to either a heat issue or power issue.
    Not recently, just the CPU Cooler (from single fan radiator to 360MM radiator) and PSU. I'll run HWUMonitor and see what happens.

The CPU has ample cooling now though, how could it still overheat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not recently, just the CPU Cooler (from single fan radiator to 360MM radiator) and PSU. I'll run HWUMonitor and see what happens.

Could have failed with thermal paste. Could be something besides the cpu overheating. At this point all you can do is test things.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account

wait though to confirm. the issue started right after replacing the heat sink? Or was it happening before?

Quote Originally Posted by Veoria View Post
    750W is plenty for a 3080. People have to stop pretending they pull 500W or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    wait though to confirm. the issue started right after replacing the heat sink? Or was it happening before?
    It was happening before with a single fan AIO cooler. So I replaced with a 360MM 3 fan AIO cooler. 1000W PSU was rated poorly so I got a 750W Corsair RM.

Issue still happening

Edit: Running HWMonitor w/ Prime95 testing @ Blend, highest temp is 70F. At this point I'm stumped
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2022-02-16 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's most likely GPU or the CPU getting overheated. My money is on the GPU. If there is a faulty CPU cooler it would get overheated immediately. I guess you haven't been in the BIOS/program to adjust the CPU fan cooler fan speed? Or, OR both PSU's have been bad, that's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    So it's most likely GPU or the CPU getting overheated. My money is on the GPU. If there is a faulty CPU cooler it would get overheated immediately. I guess you haven't been in the BIOS/program to adjust the CPU fan cooler fan speed? Or, OR both PSU's have been bad, that's not impossible.
    Prime95 up at all times and MSI Afterburner. Max with CPU on HWMonitor was like 70, GPU during HEAVY gaming is at 68~ At this point idfk, could it be shorting? Could the motherboard be coming into contact with the case? Is the Asrock Mobo I have causing it? Frustrating!! :/

Seems to only be happening during Lost Ark and Ark Survival Evolved at this time. I can game for hourrrrrrrrrs on Terraria or Risk of Rain 2.
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2022-02-16 at 11:13 PM.

It could also just be a faulty PSU, and that it randomly died on you? That happened to me with my old rig where it randomly shut off and rebooted itself after few seconds. Fortunately, I had a old 450W PSU I could plug in and all were fine until I could replace it under warranty (I just didn't plug in all my HDD's that I had).

My suggestion would be to test with another PSU to see if that's the cause? Even a poorly rated 1000W PSU should still power up your PC just fine, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLimpan View Post
    It could also just be a faulty PSU, and that it randomly died on you? That happened to me with my old rig where it randomly shut off and rebooted itself after few seconds. Fortunately, I had a old 450W PSU I could plug in and all were fine until I could replace it under warranty (I just didn't plug in all my HDD's that I had).

My suggestion would be to test with another PSU to see if that's the cause? Even a poorly rated 1000W PSU should still power up your PC just fine, correct?
    Yep, the 1000W I had was notorious for being janky and exploding, so bought a new 750W Corsair RM.

I had a similar problem, went out and swapped out the video card, power supply, ram, nothing seemed to help. Finally one day it crapped out for good in the middle of WoW. After a lot of further trial and error it turned out it was the motherboard.

Do you have any friends who happen to have a 750W-ish backup PSU laying around for you to test with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Prime95 up at all times and MSI Afterburner. Max with CPU on HWMonitor was like 70, GPU during HEAVY gaming is at 68~ At this point idfk, could it be shorting? Could the motherboard be coming into contact with the case? Is the Asrock Mobo I have causing it? Frustrating!! :/

Seems to only be happening during Lost Ark and Ark Survival Evolved at this time. I can game for hourrrrrrrrrs on Terraria or Risk of Rain 2.
    If all that seems fine... Well try something like this, in this order
    Reset CMOS
    Update BIOS
    Update GPU driver, make sure it's a clean install
    I assume you have 2x 16bg ram sticks, try using only 1 stick, if it still crashes try the other stick.
    Try and switch GPU
    You might have been unlucky so try with a new PSU, easier to do this than the next step
    change mobo
    change cpu

Yep, the 1000W I had was notorious for being janky and exploding, so bought a new 750W Corsair RM.
    Just to be clear, this problem still happened with the old (1000W) PSU, as well as with the new one?

Because if thats so, we can likely rule the PSU out.

did you wire up the gpu via multiple 12v rails, or did you just use one?
    wild guess is that you're tripping the OCP by using just one. had the same thing happen with my corsair hx750 until i flipped the switch over into single-rail mode, which your model lacks.