Can you build a laptop from pieces?

I bought a cheap laptop recently and Im very satisfied with my purchase, I'm now thinking to upgrade into a gaming laptop later on with top graphics, 32gb ram and so on, I should have never spent my money to an expensive desktop, my question, can i buy the laptop in pieces and build it myself like i I did with my desktop? is it hard?

It's very hard, yes. Most laptops are not made to be modular, save for specific elements. A lot of components are fixed in place and very difficult for the average user to replace, let alone assemble. It's not impossible, but without extensive technical knowledge and access to specialized components, I wouldn't even TRY to do this. Given that you're here asking for advice, it's likely that doesn't apply to you.

Not to mention that any laptop will be significantly more expensive than a desktop for comparable power, while running into serious limitations the higher up in performance you go (like cooling, power consumption, etc.). You can easily make a monster desktop for the same money you'd pay to just get a reasonably good laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's very hard, yes. Most laptops are not made to be modular, save for specific elements. A lot of components are fixed in place and very difficult for the average user to replace, let alone assemble. It's not impossible, but without extensive technical knowledge and access to specialized components, I wouldn't even TRY to do this. Given that you're here asking for advice, it's likely that doesn't apply to you.

Not to mention that any laptop will be significantly more expensive than a desktop for comparable power, while running into serious limitations the higher up in performance you go (like cooling, power consumption, etc.). You can easily make a monster desktop for the same money you'd pay to just get a reasonably good laptop.
    interesting I like this, I like learning new skills, I want to buy it in pieces because as you said the price is more expensive than a desktop of the same specs, although the most important component is the 32gb ram and not so much the gpu. 32 gb laptops are still too expensive if they are bought ready. I guess I will watch a video to learn how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    interesting I like this, I like learning new skills, I want to buy it in pieces because as you said the price is more expensive than a desktop of the same specs, although the most important component is the 32gb ram and not so much the gpu. 32 gb laptops are still too expensive if they are bought ready. I guess I will watch a video to learn how to do it.
    i doubt you can self build a decent or better laptop for cheaper than buying one ready to go.

I bought a cheap laptop recently and Im very satisfied with my purchase, I'm now thinking to upgrade into a gaming laptop later on with top graphics, 32gb ram and so on, I should have never spent my money to an expensive desktop, my question, can i buy the laptop in pieces and build it myself like i I did with my desktop? is it hard?
    It is surely possible, but very hard to pull off, since most laptop parts are highly integrated. I'd say it's not worth the hassle.

Be advised that this isn't just a "slot component A into socket B" kind of deal. With laptops, a lot of components are soldered in place. Unless you're prepared to directly interact with electronics in a quasi-professional manner, soldering iron and all, do not go down this road. And this includes the potential to ruin very expensive pieces of hardware because you damaged something or soldered something wrong or shorted out something, etc.

If you are ready to do this... well, cool I guess, more power to you. Just know what you're in for.

The general answer is “no”.

While there are companies that will sell you various components that make up laptops, theres no way to just throw them together and have them work. You need a compatible chasis, screen, etc, and figuring out what works with what… well, good luck. And itll be more expensive than just buying a laptop from a good OEM.

so while its *possible*, unless you are a very skilled hobbyist or engineer…

No.

Just buy one.

10+ Year Old Account
    With laptops's the only things you can switch are RAM and SSD's, all other components are integrated and soldered to the motherboard, yes, even CPU's and GPU's. And then you have the problem that there are almost no standarts for laptops. Assembly one in parts is nearly impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Kagthul said, the answer is effectively "No."

You can upgrade SSD and RAM sometimes. That's it. There are no modular systems out there. Framework has a system that's... sort of geared for that? But they don't have a lot of parts and options yet. It's more a "Ill get this and hope more stuff comes out 5 years from now and the company doesn't fold which it probably will"

Outside of being a professional CNC user and building a semi-servicable laptop out of custom parts... which, yanno, most people aren't...
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Ever peeked inside a laptop? Their internal organs are pretty much just one motherboard on which everything is soldered, sans the SSD/HDD and perhaps the RAM. These 2 are your only possible upgrades. Of course you got your battery, display, keyboard, trackpad and possibly some connectors wired on it (mostly vendor specific interfaces and mechanics again). And that's it. Building it yourself makes no sense, nor is it even possible for the average Joe. You'd need to get this given motherboard from somewhere, and unless you have friends in the right places, this will set you back probably more than just buying the whole computer off the shelf (if you even find any trustworthy vendor in the first place). Ok, let's pretend you got it cheap. Now you have a laptop board without the chassis, peripherals and the display. Need to go shopping again, and bear in mind, for that specific model you just bought, not just any random "this looks good" models.
    Forget it.