Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoying the closer racing. Can't say I'm a fan of the track. Anywho, points for McLaren!
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

what a race!!!!! i feel bad for chezco tho bad safety car timming

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing race, if this is 2022, we are in for a great season.

Glad to have the Mercedes out of the way for a while, hope they fight back up tho, a 3 way would be insane.
    But this is a Ferrari vs Red Bull year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I like the track but it's a death trap, the speed at which they go between those walls is just crazy. Maybe they shouldn't be going there while there is a war on either, all the #ukraine stuff to cancel Russian GP but they will go to warzones with less mainstream coverage if the money is right.

Happy to see Perez get his first pole, nice to see a genuine close battle between two teams and the prospect of Mercedes getting in the mix when they fix their issues, should be a great season.
    They just need to move the walls further from the track and allow something that if you fall off the track you're not going to cause a virtual at least. Plus they really shouldn't be going to Saudi anyway. The nation is doing in Yemen everything Russia is doing in Ukraine. But the foreign policy of any nation is not about who is good/evil, right/wrong. It's about influence and power. Saudi Arabian leadership is pro-west, so there are no sanctions and such F1 doesn't get heavy pressure to pull out from western governments.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/150935...IvusAOqVg&s=19

Las Vegas night race in 2023.

Having F1 cars bombing down the strip will look incredible.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

What is the point of DRS now?

It was a gimmick before, and it's even worse now that drivers are trying to delay their passing so they gain the DRS on the next straight

If the cars can follow each other then the advantage they get is the slipstream which makes DRS redundant. This sport is getting shitter each season. It's so full of gimmicks and bullshit. Which is a real shame because it's great to see Ferrari back on top, and we really have the best driver combination on the grid

This obsession, especially from Liberty's perspective, with maximum amount of overtakes really diminishes the value of an overtake. Now you no longer have a driver like Max going for the gap, you have him slamming on the brakes to stay behind the lead car so the lead car doesn't get a DRS advantage down the straight.

This is not racing
    Last edited by Th3Scourge; 2022-03-31 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    This sport is getting shitter each season.
    Eh? 2021 was one of the best seasons in years, maybe decades and we just had 2 amazing races in 2022. DRS has been in the sport for over 10 years now, the reason they kept it is due to the cars gaining less from the slipstream compared to the old cars. The reason Max was faster in Saudi was due to having a low downforce setup with much better straight line speed to begin with.

The DRS is fine, since the natural slipstream effect is lower than in previous years.

Now you no longer have a driver like Max going for the gap, you have him slamming on the brakes to stay behind the lead car so the lead car doesn't get a DRS advantage down the straight.
    They still go for a gap, the situation of baiting the DRS when a long straight follows another straight is not new, it's down to the design of the circuit. This technique of baiting the slipstream is as old as racing.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2022-03-31 at 03:56 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Eh? 2021 was one of the best seasons in years, maybe decades and we just had 2 amazing races in 2022. DRS has been in the sport for over 10 years now, the reason they kept it is due to the cars gaining less from the slipstream compared to the old cars. The reason Max was faster in Saudi was due to having a low downforce setup with much better straight line speed to begin with.

The DRS is fine, since the natural slipstream effect is lower than in previous years.

They still go for a gap, the situation of baiting the DRS when a long straight follows another straight is not new, it's down to the design of the circuit. This technique of baiting the slipstream is as old as racing.
    So if he already had a faster car on the straight, there's no need for DRS as he can naturally close the gap. The problem with the prior generation cars is that they couldn't get close enough to tuck behind and actually get a proper slip stream to challenge for a position. Since the current generation cars are far better at following, they can get much closer and make those moves without the need for DRS.

The technique of baiting slipstream isn't new, but to do so when they could have got the move done and then pull ahead in a car with superior straight line speed is a result of how stupid the DRS is.

The least they can do is move the detection point so you don't end up with a scenario where cars are trying NOT to overtake each other. I feel like I'm watching an arcade game or some shit in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    So if he already had a faster car on the straight, there's no need for DRS as he can naturally close the gap. The problem with the prior generation cars is that they couldn't get close enough to tuck behind and actually get a proper slip stream to challenge for a position. Since the current generation cars are far better at following, they can get much closer and make those moves without the need for DRS.

The technique of baiting slipstream isn't new, but to do so when they could have got the move done and then pull ahead in a car with superior straight line speed is a result of how stupid the DRS is.

The least they can do is move the detection point so you don't end up with a scenario where cars are trying NOT to overtake each other. I feel like I'm watching an arcade game or some shit in 2022
    Late reply--but I love this topic!

They still need DRS, unfortunately. Max may have not been able to pass without DRS, despite the way it looks. You may run into the scenario that Button described, on the broadcast, about his race in Monza where he ran a heavy DF setup vs a car behind him that was heavy straight line speed--it kept getting close, but he'd pull out just enough in the corners that the car behind him couldn't get enough of a run.

Why do they need it still? Because the 2022 cars do not offer much in the way of slipstream. They are easier to follow in, but that does not equal slipstream. The 2022 cars produce a very processed/predictable wake that the aero of the new cars is designed around--specifically the wing (because the wake is pushed upward in 2022, as opposed to sideways in 2021). This does not cut a perfect hole in the air for the car behind, but pushes it into the trailing car in a way that the trailing car's aero is designed around and is able to maintain downforce with (thus making it easier to follow). Because the wings are far less 'draggy' this year, and the wake is being pushed toward the wing, it makes it easier to follow but limits the power of the slipstream as the existing air is already being sent to a non-draggy part of the car. Once you fully remove this wake (by being close enough to the car in front to punch a clean hole in the air), the effect is negligible.

TL;DR: 2022 cars are easier to follow in, but have much less slipstream to initiate a pass with. DRS is probably covering up some of these issues and making it seem easier to pass than it really would be without it.

That said--that doesn't mean DRS is the only solution, or that it can't be modified. I'd love to see something different, but I'm not sure removing it right now would yield a fun result (unless a trailing car is just far more powerful than the one ahead). It does look like they're on a good path though to eventually getting to less of a need!
    Last edited by Espo; 2022-04-04 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whew, only 3 DRS zones instead of 4... was worried things were going to get out of hand.

Well.. Ferrari got better in the time between abu dhabi to Melbourne, or Red Bull got worse

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a little bit of both? When it works, that Red Bull is quick, but Charles was a beast today.

I'm surprised and pleased that Russell got to finish on the podium. I thought they'd pull a "Valtteri, this is James" moment.

Nice haul of points for McLaren. Hope their form holds up.

Albon got a point! I swear I keep forgetting he's back.

Russel up to second in the championship

Starting to wonder if Red Bull shoulda done some proper race testing over the winter, at this rate Ferrari will win the championship before we're even half-way through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Russel up to second in the championship

Starting to wonder if Red Bull shoulda done some proper race testing over the winter, at this rate Ferrari will win the championship before we're even half-way through the season.
    Honestly, I think with Horners comment that they rather have a fast car then a reliable one tells me that they have revved that engine to the limit to try get Max 2nd WDC at all costs since they can't use cheat codes anymore.

The ferrari seems best tuned right now, still surprised to see the mercs fall back so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mercs just can't get that low ride to work properly, honestly as a Tifosi it's actually refreshing to see our preseason practice numbers actually reflecting in season performance.

Red Bull just can't seem to get out from under their own feet, the car is giving both drivers frustrating problems.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, both Mercedes cars out in Q2

- - - Updated - - -

So this is the car they claimed put all budget in while others were still upgrading their cars last season?

So have Mercedes fixed their car or does Free Practice mean nothing at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    So have Mercedes fixed their car or does Free Practice mean nothing at all?
    Free practice on a Friday doesn't say that much. I expect today's FP to be at least a second faster.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's why shouldn't draw any conclusions after FP

10+ Year Old Account
    Bleh, zero points for McLaren. At least they're is still 4th in the WCC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just can't stand Verstappen. Don't care who win, as long as that arrogant prick lose. Gogo Leclerk!