Thread: Oscars slap.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    If a joke hurts you or your wife, you can't just go "haha, nice one mate, I'll get you next time" and laugh it off.
    OR (now hear me out on this one) act like an adult and use your words to convey WHY the joke was hurtful/inappropriate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The flat-earther is skeptical, good to know.
    I KNOW right? Consistency... how about that.

I truly hope this marks the end of Will Smith's career, I am tired of hearing about him and his family. However just like the kardashians they most likely won't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The joke only crossed the line for two reasons: Jada is a woman, and people don’t know alopecia is just a medics term for going bald.
    Technically she seems to have Alopecia areata which seems to be an auto-immune disorder involving hair loss. I have seen people with it and it doesn't look pretty, and them having to explain that it isn't cancer indicate that it's psychologically a bit more than normal hair-loss.
    But she looks in that bald look.

I'm still uncertain whether it was staged or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If I call you a "jerkwad" and you get someone to punch me in the face for it, I'm not apologizing to you for the "jerkwad" crack, no matter how unwarranted or unjustifiable it was. You escalated. You're owed nothing at that point.

That's if she pushed her husband or asked him to "do something" or the like, though. I honestly don't know. If Will took it on himself to act, then none of what I'm saying applies.
    Nah, it's just "two wrongs don't make a right". You provoked, I responded. Me acting like an asshole doesn't mean that you aren't also an asshole. It's understandble that you might not want to give me an apology after I sent someone after you...but it doesn't change your shitty behaviour. You can see this happen in elementary school... one kid punches the other for something the other said...and both of them are made to apologize.

Also, bit different between calling someone a "jerkwad" and targetting them specifically over something they are known be sensitive about.

THe only thing that would change is that 3 people acted poorly instead of just 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    This doesn't seem like a real event to me. Like the infamous Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction," this doesn't have the scent of authenticity about it.
    Oh yeah... really lacks the "authenticity" of "The elite have been lying to you about the Earth being round for centuries"...
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    OR (now hear me out on this one) act like an adult and use your words to convey WHY the joke was hurtful/inappropriate.
    Nah dude, if you offend my woman, prepare to get your shit rekt. That's the law of the jungle. It ain't pretty, but this is how most people are.

We are all cavemen deep down.

Nah dude, if you offend my woman, prepare to get your shit rekt. That's the law of the jungle. It ain't pretty, but this is how most people are.

We are all cavemen deep down.
    Haha, sorry but whenever I see the internet tough guy routine I just can't help but laugh.

And let's be honest, if this really were "how most people are" there would be far fewer standup comedians (or they'd all be part time MMA fighters with all the experience they would get from roasting people).

Thank you MMO for informing comedians no longer get to make jokes (and a fucking tame one at that), man we really are in a society were words not only hurt us, but are being instigation's for violence. I miss the days of sticks and stones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Thank you MMO for informing comedians no longer get to make jokes (and a fucking tame one at that), man we really are in a society were words not only hurt us, but are being instigation's for violence. I miss the days of sticks and stones.
    my dude, dueling; as in taking a gun and shooing another man for making an off hand comment, was LEGAL and accepted practice in this country at some point in time. calm. the. fuck. down.

This is a story that happens at literally all clubs and bars and sporting event across the bloody country.
    Guy who knows better because he made a fucking documentary about it takes a crack at a man’s wife, wife gets mad, angry man gets up and smacks the shit out of a dude. People just want to read into based on their bias against all kinds of things like attacks on comedy, machismo, etc.

Sit down and move the fuck on. The only crime here was Villeneuve not being nominated and winning best director.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2022-03-28 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Haha, sorry but whenever I see the internet tough guy routine I just can't help but laugh.

And let's be honest, if this really were "how most people are" there would be far fewer standup comedians (or they'd all be part time MMA fighters with all the experience they would get from roasting people).
    Dude, just imagine if some stranger walks by you and your wife and offends her. He's not roasting you, he humiliates your wife. Tells her she's fat right in her face or whatever.

Are you gonna:

A. ignore him, losing points with your wife
    B. save face and laugh it off, losing points with your wife
    C. use logic and talk calmly about what he said, achieving absolutely nothing because the one who offended your wife clearly doesn't care
    D. sue him (lol)
    E. Defend your wife, either verbally abuse him or move it up to physicality.

I'm not Hulk Hogan or whatever, it's not machismo, but I'd definitely go for E 9 times out of 10, you have my word on that.

Remember that people used to have duels to the death not long ago about shit more trivial than this.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-03-28 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    my dude, dueling; as in taking a gun and shooing another man for making an off hand comment, was LEGAL and accepted practice in this country at some point in time. calm. the. fuck. down.
    What a dumb point, so was slavery, doesn't make it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Technically she seems to have Alopecia areata which seems to be an auto-immune disorder involving hair loss. I have seen people with it and it doesn't look pretty, and them having to explain that it isn't cancer indicate that it's psychologically a bit more than normal hair-loss.
    But she looks in that bald look.

I'm still uncertain whether it was staged or not.
    People often develop hang ups about it, especially women where hair is often a part of gender identity and beauty norms. Ayanna Pressley has the US Representative has it and talks about dealing with her condition a lot. She doesn't walk around bald because she what people say doesn't affect her, it's to bring awareness and help those who share her condition but not as comfortable with it.

You never know what someone is going through mentally, what they might be hiding in private, that's why a seemingly innocent joke might not land the way you expect.

What Will did isn't right, but it doesn't have to be to understand it. It doesn't have to be about a 'man defending the honor of his woman" or whatever nonsense. People in general don't like to see someone they care about distressed and will rationally or irrationally want to confront the source of that distress. Wife, husband, sibling, parent, child, doesn't matter. People feel the need to stand up for people they care about. Of course Will picked the wrong place and time but you could argue that the joke was wrong place wrong time. It's not even about being 'careful' with jokes but a comedian should know their audience and the line between laughing with/for someone and laughing at them. Jokes also hit different coming from different people and in different settings.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

A. ignore him, losing points with your wife
    The goal is to marry someone who doesn't want you to potentially go to jail for assault because some idiot say some dumb/offensive shit.

the point being: you belly aching over "how society has degraded" is hysterical. and you realize you're invalidating your "days of sticks and stones" argument, right?
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-03-28 at 08:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    This is a story that happens at literally all clubs and bars and sporting event across the bloody country.
    Guy who knows better because he made a fucking documentary about it takes a crack at a man’s wife, wife gets mad, angry man gets up and smacks the shit out of a dude. People just want to read into based on their bias against all kinds of things like attacks on comedy, machismo, etc.

Sit down and move the fuck on. The only crime here was Villeneuve not being nominated and winning best director.
    Most people don't know about that documentary. Makes them question too much about their worldview.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Because humanity has evolved from that point on. Hahahaha.

Look around you, we're all still apes.

Because humanity has evolved from that point on. Hahahaha.

Look around you, we're all still apes.
    Stop projecting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The goal is to marry someone who doesn't want you to potentially go to jail for assault because some idiot say some dumb/offensive shit.
    I don't know, I'm pretty sure that letting someone talk smack about my wife doesn't bode well for our future bedroom endeavors. Women and men are still wired to be primal, even if they don't acknowledge it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Stop projecting.
    I think you might be living in a bubble.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that letting someone talk smack about my wife doesn't bode well for our future bedroom endeavors.
    That's an issue between you and your spouse then. If they're not confident enough in the relationship to let some random jackoff ruin sexytime later, maybe there are other problems (not speaking about you specifically, but the "royal you")

Women and men are still wired to be primal, even if they don't acknowledge it.
    Cool, thank goodness we have those pesky messes of grey matter that's supposed to stop us from acting purely on instinct and engage those little grey cells.

Again, I'm not sure why folks would be on team, "Yes, commit assault and go to jail to defend your spouse's honor." because that's just really weird.